Out-of-State Academic Student Complaint Procedure

In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunities Act of 2008, the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) conducted a Negotiated Rule Making Process in 2010, and institutions offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student's state.

The College expects that most issues will be resolved informally by way of discussion between the student and the appropriate staff member.

For certain complaints or concerns, the College has established specific procedures to be followed. For example, complaints regarding grades are subject to the limitations and requirements of the Grade Appeal Procedure; complaints regarding harassment are subject to the harassment policy. Students will be expected to initiate their concerns or express their concern in accordance with those specific policies. In any other cases, students may have recourse to the Student Concerns Procedure.

For further information or assistance in regards to student complaints or concerns, please contact the Director of Student Life:

Office of Student Life
2600 NW College Way
Bend, Oregon 97703

If after following the College's procedure, the issue cannot be resolved internally and the student seeks additional resolution, students can refer to the contacts below for the appropriate state agency or accrediting body.

Students can submit a formal complaint to the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC) one of the following ways:

Additional information can be found on the HECC Complaints page or by visiting the NC-SARA Complaints page

Central Oregon Community College is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on College and Universities (NWCCU). Information regarding their complaint process can be found on the NWCCU website. Students may also contact the Oregon Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development (CCWD) by phone at 503-947-2430 or by email Luis.Juarez@state.or.us.

Professional license requirements can vary from state to state. More information can be found on our Professional Licensure Disclosure page. 

Complaint Contacts by Location

Alabama Commission on Higher Education
Alabama Grievance Procedure

Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education
Alaska Grievance Procedure

Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education
Arizona Grievance Procedure

Arkansas Division of Higher Education
Arkansas Grievance Procedure

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
California Grievance Procedure

Colorado Department of Higher Education
Colorado Grievance Procedure

State of Connecticut Office of Higher Education
Connecticut Grievance Procedure

Delaware Department of Education
Delaware Grievance Procedure

Florida Department of Education
Florida Grievance Procedure

Idaho State Board of Education
Idaho Grievance Procedure

Indiana Commission for Higher Education
Indiana Grievance Procedure

Iowa College Student Aid Commission
Iowa Grievance Procedure

Kansas Board of Regents
Kansas Grievance Procedure

Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
Kentucky Grievance Procedure

Louisiana Board of Regents
Louisiana Grievance Procedure

Maine Department of Education
Maine Grievance Procedure

Maryland Higher Education Commission
Maryland Grievance Procedure

Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
Massachusetts Grievance Procedure

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Michigan Grievance Procedure

Minnesota Office of Higher Education
Minnesota Grievance Procedure

Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation
Mississippi Grievance Procedure

Missouri Department of Higher Education
Missouri Grievance Procedure

Montana University System
Montana Grievance Procedure

New Jersey
New Jersey Office of the Secretary of Higher Education
New Jersey Grievance Procedure


New Mexico
New Mexico Higher Education Department
New Mexico Grievance Procedure

New York
New York State Education Department
New York Grievance Procedure

North Carolina
North Carolina Community College System, Office of Proprietary School Services
North Carolina Grievance Procedure

North Dakota
North Dakota University System
North Dakota Grievance Procedure

Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools
Ohio Grievance Procedure

Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
Oklahoma Grievance Procedure

Oregon Department of Education - Office of Degree Authorization
Oregon Grievance Procedure

Pennsylvania Department of Education
Pennsylvania Grievance Procedure

Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico Office of Registration and Licensing of Educational Institutions
Puerto Rico Grievance Procedure

Rhode Island
Rhode Island Office of the Postsecondary Commissioner
Rhode Island Grievance Procedure

South Carolina
South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
South Carolina Grievance Procedure

South Dakota
South Dakota Board of Regents
South Dakota Grievance Procedure

Tennessee Higher Education Commission
Tennessee Grievance Procedure

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Texas Grievance Procedure

Utah System of Higher Education
Utah Grievance Procedure

State of Vermont Agency of Education
Vermont Grievance Procedure

State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
Virginia Grievance Procedure

Washington Higher Education Administration
Washington Grievance Procedure

Washington DC
Higher Education Licensure Commission
District of Columbia Grievance Procedure

West Virginia
West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
West Virginia Grievance Procedure

Wisconsin Distance Learning Authorization Board
Wisconsin Grievance Procedure

Wyoming Department of Education
Wyoming Grievance Procedure