S-3-0 Student Concerns
Students may address their concerns via an informal and formal process, both of which are detailed below.
The College encourages students to resolve issues informally by discussing the concern between the student and the appropriate faculty or staff member However, a student may request to initiate the formal procedure at any time.
- Informal: Students are encouraged to resolve the issue with the appropriate faculty or staff
member. For academic concerns, this should begin with the instructor. If the student
is not comfortable discussing directly with the instructor, the student may initiate
the concern with the appropriate department chair. If the instructor is the current
department chair, the student may initiate the concern with the appropriate instructional
dean. For non-academic concerns, the student should bring the issue to the Director
of Student Life for assistance in identifying the appropriate contact. For assistance
in identifying the appropriate faculty or staff member, contact the Office of Student
- Formal: To initiate the formal process, the student completes the Student Concern Form. The Director of Student Life reviews all concerns and submit to the appropriate
faculty or staff member for review and follow up (if the concern is in regards to
the Director of Student Life, the Dean of Student and Enrollment Services reviews
the concern). The Director of Student Life also screens the concern and directs it
to another process if appropriate.
The student concern form should include full and relevant detail and include appropriate documentation. A student who wishes assistance with preparation of a concern may contact the Director of Student Life. The student should address the following areas in his/her report:
- The subject of the concern;
- All facts and documentation relevant to the concern;
- Steps taken previously to resolve the matter (if any);
- The resolution sought; and
- All arguments in support of the desired solution.
The individual(s) reviewing the concern will provide a written decision to all parties of the concern within 15 business days receiving the report. There may be circumstances in which the decision process may be extended; all attempts will be made to notify the student if a delay occurs. The student may either accept the decision or s/he may initiate the appeal process within five (5) business days from receipt of the decision.
- Appealing Decisions from the Formal Process
The student may appeal a decision only under the following conditions:
- Evidence exists that shows the concerns process was not followed; or
- New information or evidence relevant to the original concern is now available; or
- Clear abuse of discretion on the part of the individual(s) reviewing the concern.
For assistance in determining if an appeal condition is applicable, a student may contact the Director of Student Life.
The appeal is submitted to the Director of Student Life, who determines the appropriate appeals officer (note: if the concern is regarding the Director of Student Life, the appeal may be submitted to the Dean of Student & Enrollment Services).
The appeals officer reviews all documentation from the initial review and may choose to request additional information or meet with the parties involved. Based on the entirety of appeals officer review, the appeals officer decides one of the following actions:
- Uphold the original decision or sanctions; or
- Modify the original decision or sanctions; or
- Overturn the original decision or sanctions; or
- Refer the concern to the appropriate College policy or process for review.
The appeals officer notifies the all parties of his/her determination in writing within ten (10) business days of receiving the appeal. There may be extenuating circumstances in which the decision process may be extended; all attempts will be made to notify the student if a delay occurs.