Scholarship Information for Students
COCC Foundation Scholarships and Award Process
Each year the COCC Foundation offers nearly 400 scholarship awards totaling $1.8 million for students. A scholarship is easy to apply for and if selected can be renewed for two additional years.
The application for 2021-22 scholarships is closed. The application for 2022-23 scholarships
will open February 1, 2022.
- What is a COCC Foundation scholarship?
Scholarships are a great resource to help students pay for their education expenses and unlike loans, do not have to be repaid. Hundreds of scholarships are awarded to students each year who meet specific qualifications designated by the private donor(s). These qualifications could be but are not limited to: field of study, academic record, volunteer service, athletic ability, artistic talent, financial need, club associations and members of under represented groups. Scholarships are worth seeking so get started today!
COCC Foundation scholarships are for students enrolled in a degree or certificate program at COCC. The scholarship is applied toward your tuition and fees first and if there are remaining funds you can use them for expenses related to your educational needs.
- Am I eligible for a scholarship?
Criteria for Applying:
- Enrolled in a degree or certificate program at COCC for Fall 2021
- Have a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher
- Demonstrate financial need by completing the FAFSA or ORSAA by July 1
- Fall term 2021 enrollment required of at least half-time (6-8 credits)
- Incoming students must submit recent high school or college transcripts
- If you have had a COCC Foundation scholarship revoked or not renewed, then you are not eligible to apply (please contact us if you are unsure)
Please note: If you are considering dual enrollment at another institution, please contact the Financial Aid office for scholarship eligibility information. College Now high school students need to apply for admission at COCC before applying for a scholarship. Please wait at least 1 week after applying for COCC admission before applying for a scholarship.
- Tell me about the selection process?
The COCC Foundation awards scholarships based on financial need and the promise each student shows which is demonstrated by answers to three narrative questions. Financial need is defined as lacking sufficient funds to pay for education. The promise a student shows is defined as the circumstances a person has faced and/or accomplishments they have made, combined with their sense of direction and educational goals.
Financial need is determined in two ways:
- Each student completes a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or ORSAA (Oregon Student Aid Application)
- Financial need is also determined through one of the questions answered in the application
process, since the FAFSA/ORSAA formula does not capture individual life circumstance.
This is also an opportunity for the applicant to display the promise that they show
as a student.
1. Financial and Life Circumstances: COCC Foundation scholarships are based on financial need. Please explain any circumstances or challenges you are facing that may make continuing your education difficult without additional financial assistance.
2. Education and Career Goals: Describe education and career goals that you have established for yourself and your efforts to accomplish them. Give an example demonstrating your commitment to these goals.
3. Personal Accomplishment(s): Describe the personal accomplishment(s) of which you are most proud. This could include leadership roles, community/family involvement, or professional/educational contributions. Describe how the experience(s) has shaped you.
Each narrative is read four times by volunteer reviewers, who score each question on a one to four scale. The volunteers only read and score the narrative questions. Therefore, the reviewer does not see the applicants name, age, gender, race, etc. You can view the scoring rubric for the narrative questions here.
The award process then gives a point value to the FAFSA/ORSAA score and also a point value to the narratives. Scholarships are awarded to students with the greatest combined score as determined by their FAFSA/ORSAA and their narratives. Priority will be given to in-district students based on COCC's residency policy.
- I am ready to apply for a scholarship!
The application for 2021-2022 scholarships is closed. The application for 2022-23 scholarships will open February 1, 2022.
1. COCC Foundation scholarship applications are accepted using a scholarship portal called AwardSpring
from February 1 - July 1
2. Before you login to AwardSpring, read the Application Instructions and FAQs sheet
3. After logging in to AwardSpring, you can start and stop your application as needed
4. Prepare your three narrative questions by reviewing the Narrative Questions & Scoring Rubric.
Spend time on crafting thoughtful narrative responses. Be sure to use your resources! For example have a trusted family/friend/teacher proofread, use spell check, search the internet for scholarship essay tips etc.
5. You must submit either the 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Oregon Student Aid Application (ORSAA) by June 17, 2021 to be considered for a COCC Foundation scholarship. When applying for either FAFSA or ORSAA, be sure to list Central Oregon Community College.
Use this quick tool to determine if you should submit a FAFSA or ORSAA: https://oregonstudentaid.gov/fafsa-orsaa.aspx
Here is the link to complete the FAFSA: https://fafsa.ed.gov
Here is the link to complete the ORSAA: https://osacsnapprod.regenteducation.net
6. After completing and submitting the application, you can login to make needed changes until July 1
- What happens after I apply for a scholarship?
You will be notified in late summer or early fall of awarding decisions. If you need any assistance and/or accommodation, please contact the Foundation at 541.383.7225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a current COCC Foundation scholarship recipient?
Congratulations on being selected to receive a COCC Foundation scholarship!
What are the 2020-2021 scholarship acceptance requirements?
- Fall term 2020 enrollment required of at least half-time (6-8 credits)
- Enrolled in at least half-time (6-8 credits) per term
- If you have been admitted to any other institution, including OSU Cascades, this scholarship is void
- Must write a thank you letter to the donor of your scholarship (we provide you with this information)
- Notify COCC if your phone number or address changes
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Have a FAFSA or ORSAA on file with COCC each year
- Must volunteer at one Foundation event throughout the academic year.
- Check your COCC email account on a regular basis for information from the College and the Foundation
How do I receive my scholarship?
Accepting a COCC Foundation Scholarship may prompt a revision and possible reduction of your federal financial aid. Your scholarship will be applied to your student account in three installments; fall, winter and spring term. This award amount per term will be based on your enrollment level on tuition due date.
The scholarship is applied toward your COCC tuition and fees first and if there are remaining funds you can use them for expenses related to your educational needs.
How do I renew my scholarship for 2021-2022?
Your scholarship can be renewed up to two additional years (three years total) if:
- Maintain a cumulative 2.5 GPA
- Complete at least 24 credits during the aid year (Summer 2020 - Spring 2021)
- Register for a minimum of 6-8 credits in the fall term of your renewal year
- Volunteer for a Foundation event (we will send you information about this, this is not required for 20-21 recipients)
You will NOT need to reapply for a COCC Foundation Scholarship next year. If you meet all the above parameters then you will automatically be qualified for a renewal scholarship and will receive a letter or email confirming your renewal scholarship in early July for the following academic year.
Note: not all scholarships are renewable. Please check your acceptance form to find out if your scholarship is renewable. If you are not sure please email email@example.com.
Do you have a financial emergency or childcare expenses?
- COCC Student Emergency Fund
If you have suddenly encountered unanticipated expenses related to your education, the COCC Student Emergency Fund may be able to help.
- COCC Childcare Assistance Fund
The COCC Childcare Assistance Fund is a program to supplement the costs of childcare.
For additional scholarship opportunities, please visit the Financial Aid scholarship page.
For questions regarding your scholarship application or if you need any assistance and/or accommodation, please contact the Foundation at 541.383.7225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.