Advising can be a critical component of your college experience. At COCC and nationally, students indicate they want, need, and expect quality academic advising. COCC advisors value our role in assisting you toward completion of your educational goals. Learn more about Academic Advising at COCC.
Advising is required before you can register for classes each term.
Every student who is degree-seeking (whether that be a COCC degree or another institution's degree) has an advising requirement. This is how it works:
- You are assigned an advisor during your first term.
- You must meet with your advisor prior to registering for your second term.
- After that, your advisor can clear your requirement for one term or for up to a year.
Do I need to meet with my advisor this term?
Check your Registration Status every term for information on:
- Your registration starting date and time.
- Holds or requirements that need to be cleared before you can register for classes.
- Registration permits and over-rides.
- Academic advisor's name and contact information.
- Your educational goals.
What does it mean to get cleared for registration?
You can not register for classes unless your advisor clears your advising requirement. Your advisor will clear your advising requirement when you meet with them. They can clear your requirement for one term or for up to a year.
How do I contact my advisor?
Learn how to contact your advisor and schedule an appointment
What do I need to do before my Advising appointment?
- Check your Registration Status for holds or requirements that need to be cleared before you can register for classes.
- Use GradTracks to review your requirements, progress, and to make an academic plan.