Frequently Asked Questions on Placement
- Does everyone need to provide math and writing placement?
Yes, if you are new to COCC, and enrolling in credit classes, you will need to provide math and writing placement.
- How long does the placement assessment take?
The online placement assessment typically takes 10 to 30 minutes to complete. If you are coming to campus to complete an ALEKS math assessment and/or ACCUPLACER writing assessment, this could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. To be safe, plan on the maximum time.
- Can I retake a placement assessment?
Online placement assessment: no retakes available
ALEKS math assessment: retake available after a minimum of 14 days
ACCUPLACER writing assessment: retake available after a minimum of 14 days
- Where do I check in for my math and/or writing skills-based testing appointment?
Bend: Cascades Hall, room 240A (CAP Services)
Redmond: Building 1, lobby
Madras or Prineville: Front desk
- Can I use COCC's placement information for another college?
COCC's default placement method is a survey-based assessment of your academic history. Other colleges may require skills-based testing. Check with the college that you are interested in attending to find out what they accept for placement. Our Testing and Tutoring department may be able to proctor a test for another institution.
- When will my placement results post to my student record?
Online placement assessment results should post within 1 business day to your Bobcat Web account. ALEKS math and ACCUPLACER writing assessment results are entered manually and may take anywhere between 2 to 5 business days to post to your Bobcat Web account.
- Do I need to study?