HSRT-AD HEALTH SCIENCE REASONING TEST - ASSOCIATE DEGREE
The HSRT-AD is a required test for students submitting an application to COCC's Nursing Program. HSRT website
About the test
The Health Science Reasoning Test –Associates Degree (HSRT-AD) is a multiple-choice test specifically designed for two year and certificate programs. The HSRT-AD is an online test administered in a 50 minute timed setting and measures critical thinking as well as quantitative reasoning skills. The HSRT-AD presents a variety of scenarios (in clinical and professional practice contexts) with information provided in text-based and diagrammatic formats. HSRT-AD questions ask test takers to apply their skills in order to:
- Make interpretations
- Analyze information
- Draw inferences and warranted inferences
- Identify claims and reasons
- Evaluate the quality of arguments
What should I do to prepare for the HSRT-AD?
HSRT-AD test questions range in difficulty and complexity – any specialized information needed to respond correctly is provided within the question itself. Questions do not require specialized health science knowledge – there is no study preparation required.
Can I take the HSRT-AD more than once? COCC allows students to take the HSRT-AD test up to two times in a student's lifetime. The Nursing selection process will use the highest score.
When can I take the HSRT-AD test?
Note: test capacity is limited. Please book early to reserve your preferred testing date(s). If the capacity on each test date is not already full, reservations will close at 5pm, 15 business days prior to the testing date (see test reservation deadlines below).
Reservations for the HSRT will open on December 21, 2018.
Call 541-383-7229 or visit COCC cashiers on any COCC campus to make your reservation.
|Friday||LIB 117||March 15, 2019||9am||Thursday, February 21, 2019|
|2pm||Thursday, February 21, 2019|
|Friday||LIB 117||April 19, 2019||9am||Thursday, March 28, 2019|
|2pm||Thursday, March 28, 2019|
|Friday||LIB 117||May 10, 2019||9am||Thursday, April 18, 2019|
|2pm||Thursday, April 18, 2019|
|Friday||LIB 117||May 24, 2019||9am||Thursday, May 2, 2019|
|2pm||Thursday, May 2, 2019|
|Friday||LIB 117||June 7, 2019||9am||Wednesday, May 15, 2019|
|2pm||Wednesday, May 15, 2019|
Payment of the non-refundable $15 test fee is required at the time of reservation. How do I sign up to take the HSRT-AD? To reserve a seat, visit the Admissions and Records Department at the Boyle Education Center or contact them by phone (541-383-7229). Students with past due accounts will be required to pay their balance in full before scheduling an HSRT-AD test. Students who have not taken a class at COCC within the last year will be required to update their COCC application prior to scheduling their HSRT-AD test. (You will not be charged a new application fee.)
Appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis and it is possible that
appointment times will fill. Students should carefully plan their test dates and reserve
their spot at the earliest opportunity.
What if I have accommodated testing needs?
Use the following steps to arrange for an accommodated test.
- Meet with the COCC Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) staff to determine eligibility. Student should plan early for this meeting.
- Call or visit the Tutoring and Testing Department on the Bend campus to schedule a date/time to take the HSRT-AD before the test reservation deadline (see above grid).
- Once notified by COCC, call 541-383-7229 or visit a COCC cashier on any COCC campus to pay for the test. Payment must be made prior to the test date.
What if I am not admitted to COCC but would like to use the test for another school? COCC administers the HSRT-AD test to support applicants to COCC's Nursing program. Students must be admitted to COCC to take the test, so you may use our test but do need to complete the COCC Admissions Application. You will be eligible to reserve an HSRT-AD test appointment after your COCC application has been processed, usually within 3 business days. COCC does not provide HSRT-AD test results to other institutions.
What do I need to know about the day of the test?
Students should arrive 15 minutes early for the test. Students arriving late to the test will not be allowed to test on this day and will not be refunded their test fee.
In the event of inclement weather, it is possible that the college may close and the test will be rescheduled. If in doubt, check www.cocc.edu for any closures before coming to campus.
- Students must bring a picture ID to the test session and will need to provide their COCC ID Number.
- Pre-registration is required, testers will be checked against a roster as they enter the computer lab and only those on the roster will be allowed to enter.
- The following items are permitted during the test:
- Writing utensil – provided by the proctor and collected after the test
- Scratch paper – provided by the proctor and collected and destroyed following the test
- The following items are prohibited during the test:
- Food or drink
- Textbooks or reference books of any kind
- Sunglasses, hats or a hood
- Music (CD players, MP3 players, iPods, etc.)
- Communication or electronic devices (cell phones, pagers, PDA’s, etc.)
Only those materials required for taking the test (i.e. pencils and scratch paper) are to remain on a student’s writing surface. Students participating in the proctored test session should leave personal items at home or in their car; otherwise they must leave overcoats, books, papers, calculators, tape recorders, large bags, backpacks, cell phones, etc at the front of the room with the proctor. They may obtain these items left with the proctor only as they exit the computer lab.
General Test Information:
- Any question that is not answered will be scored as incorrect.
- You can go forward or backward to questions during the test, but the test will end at 50 minutes.
- No communication is permitted between test takers while taking the test.
- All students in the room should begin the test at the same time.
- Proctors may not answer any questions concerning the content of the test or any meaning of questions asked on the test.
- Students participating in the test should not expect to leave the computer lab at any time until they have completed the test and turned in any instructions and scratch paper they were given.
- If a student leaves the room without permission, the student’s computer will be shut down and the student will not be permitted to return.
- If the proctor suspects that a student is copying the answers of another student or obtaining information from another in any way, the proctor will observe the student for a period long enough to confirm such suspicion. Such activity will be reported to appropriate COCC faculty/administration and may result in an individual’s test being invalidated.
- Any student that is found to be using or making notes other than on the scratch paper provided will be dismissed from the test and not permitted to return. The proctor will take the notes and return them to the appropriate COCC faculty/administrator.
- Students are not to share test questions or test information with any other student at any time, including after the test session.