Employees may address their concerns via an informal and formal process, both of which are detailed below.
The College encourages employees to resolve concerns via the informal process described below. However, an employee may initiate the formal procedure at any time.
- Informal: Employees are encouraged to resolve the issue with the appropriate faculty or staff member(s) who is the subject of the concern or has responsibility for the issue in question. The employee may work with the Assistant Director or Director of Human Resources for assistance in identifying the appropriate contact.
- Formal: To initiate the formal process, the employee completes the Employee Concern Report;
the employee may work with the Assistant Director or Director of Human Resources for
assistance in initiating this process.
The employee concern form should include full and relevant detail and include appropriate documentation. The employee should address the following areas in his/her report:
- The subject of the concern;
- All facts and documentation relevant to the concern;
- Steps taken previously to resolve the matter (if any);
- The resolution sought; and
- All arguments in support of the desired solution.
The general nature of the concern is shared with the appropriate individuals as needed to best respond to the concern; in some cases, it may be necessary to share the actual written statement.
The Assistant Director or Director of Human Resources screens the concern and directs it to another process if appropriate or forward the concern to the appropriate employee with responsibility for the issue in question (note: if the concern is regarding the Assistant Director or Director Human Resources, the concern is screened by an Administrative Officer of the College).
- Appealing Decisions from the Formal Process
The employee may appeal a decision only under the following conditions:
- Evidence exists that shows the concerns process was not followed; or
- New information or evidence relevant to the original concern is now available; or
- Clear abuse of discretion on the part of the individual(s) reviewing the concern.
For assistance in determining if an appeal condition is applicable, an employee may contact the Assistant Director or Director Human Resources.
The appeal should be submitted to the Assistant Director or Director Human Resources, who determines the appropriate appeals officer (note: if the concern is regarding the Assistant Director or Director Human Resources, the appeal may be submitted to an administrative Officer of the College).
The College designates an appeals officer to review all documentation from the initial review and may choose to request additional information or meet with the parties involved. Based on the entirety of appeals officer review, the appeals officer decides one of the following actions:
- Uphold the original decision or sanctions; or
- Modify the original decision or sanctions; or
- Overturn the original decision or sanctions; or
- Refer the concern to the appropriate College policy or process for review.
The appeals officer notifies the all parties of his/her determination in writing, within ten (10) business days of receiving the appeal. There may be extenuating circumstances in which the decision process may be extended; all attempts will be made to notify the employee if a delay occurs.
The appeals officer's determination is final.