Choosing a College Major
- Are you experiencing MAJOR confusion?
- Don't know what you want to do for a career?
- Confused about how to choose your college major?
This 7-step guideline will help you through the process.
1. Complete the self-assessments and identify your Hollands Code. Please contact CAP Services at 541-383-7200 for COCC students username and password.
2. Schedule an appointment with COCC's Career Services Coordinator to review your assessment results and begin the decision-making process. Contact CAP Services at 541-383-7200.
3. Following your self-assessments, choose 3-5 occupational clusters of interest. Your assessment results will identify occupational clusters that relate to your interests and skills.
4. Research occupations of interest within your occupational clusters. Using OCIS you can gain information about employment outlook, wages, skills required, educational
requirements, and more. Call CAP Services at 541-383-7200 for login information.
5. Consider job shadowing, volunteering, or completing informational interviews to learn more about the career(s) you are considering. The Career Services Coordinator can help you prepare for these. Contact CAP Services at 541-383-7200 to schedule an appointment.
6. Narrow your occupational choice and research education availability at COCC.
7. Meet with your academic advisor to discuss academic requirements for your career/major choice.