- Tutors are available during the term to help you gain confidence in your coursework.
- Tutors work to clarify concepts introduced by the faculty and to develop your learning skills.
- It might be helpful to work with an individual who has been through the class that you are in, to gain perspective and mastery of a challenging subject.
Drop-in Tutoring will be in an online format for the foreseeable future. We will not be offering any face-to-face tutoring during Winter term. All tutoring staff are working remotely via BlackBoard. Tutoring is also available through the Western eTutoring Consortium at https://etutoringonline.org/login.cfm?institutionid=35&returnPage=&institution=CENTRAL_OREGON_COMMUNITY_COLLEGE
COCC students will be able to access COCC Tutors Online via Zoom in their Blackboard
accounts. The information is located under the COCC Tutoring Tab in your Student Blackboard
Tutoring Student Flyer (pdf)
Online Tutoring is free for COCC students in courses currently offered!
Questions About Tutoring
Q. How much does tutoring cost?
A. Tutoring is a free service to any currently enrolled COCC student for the COCC course you are enrolled in.
Q. How do I sign up for a tutor?
A. Tutoring is done on a drop-in and appointment basis. Current COCC tutoring is offered in an online format only. Go to your student Blackboard account and click on the COCC Tutoring Tab for specific subjects and hours for the term. The Tutoring Center can be contacted at 541- 383-7534.
Q. Do I need to prepare for a tutoring session?
A. Yes. You will get the most out of a tutoring session if you have a list of questions or topics that you would like to discuss. Please attempt homework before working with a tutor.
Q. What if there is no tutor for the class I need help with?
A. Tell the Director of Tutoring. The instructor will be contacted to find out if someone is available.
Q. How do I know that my tutor is qualified to help me?
A. Tutors must receive a B+ or better and have a recommendation from an instructor in the area they wish to tutor. COCC's tutoring center is a College Reading and Learning Association certified center, tutors are trained in effective methods of tutoring.
Q. Can I try different tutors if I want to hear a different perspective?
A. Yes. It is a good idea to come before you are in a crisis mode to try out a variety of tutoring styles. We have a diverse group of tutors who work as a team. Try out several tutors until you find one that suits your learning style. We provide opportunities to give feedback on tutors.
Q. Where does tutoring take place?
A. All tutoring staff are working remotely at this time. You can access COCC tutors for COCC course work in your Blackboard account during the term.
Tutors will help you in several ways:
- They will clarify information presented in class or in your textbook.
- They will engage you in discussion of how to work particular problems.
- They will share study skills that helped them achieve excellence in their area of study.
There are a few things tutors won't do:
- They won't check or grade your homework!
- They won't review entire projects - faculty will do this.
- They won't introduce information that you should have already heard in class or read in the textbook.
- They won't advise you on which instructors to take.
Contact Kellie Smith, Director of Tutoring & Testing Centers, for more information at email@example.com or call 541-383-7536.