Library Instruction Program
About the Barber Library Instructional Program
In 2018-19, the Barber Library adopted a new strategic plan to align with the college’s 2018-13 Strategic Plan. The Library recognizes the value our instructional program brings to the our mission statement and strategic goals as well as COCC’s mission of promoting student success and community enrichment by providing quality, accessible, lifelong educational opportunities.
Information Literacy Definition
The library’s previous 2015-18 instruction plan (archived here: Barber Library IL Plan) was guided by the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education. Ongoing activities and assessments while the library revises its instructional plan to align with the COCC and Library strategic plans will also be directed by these professional standards and the definition of Information Literacy:
“Information literacy is the set of integrated abilities encompassing the reflective discovery of information, the understanding of how information is produced and valued, and the use of information in creating new knowledge and participating ethically in communities of learning.”
This definition is anchored in the six concepts described in the ACRL Framework:
- Authority Is Constructed and Contextual
- Information Creation as a Process
- Information Has Value
- Research as Inquiry
- Scholarship as Conversation
- Searching as Strategic Exploration
Barber Library Instructional Programs and Services
Our Instruction Program primarily targets COCC credit students, with secondary audiences including Adult Basic Education students, COCC faculty and staff, non-credit students, and community members. The goals of our Instructional Program are:
- To prepare the library audience for the dynamic and fluid information ecosystem in which we study, work, and live to become effective lifelong learners;
- To strengthen students’ information literacy competencies as a fundamental outcome of all disciplines taught at COCC;
- To ensure the library audience is aware of the relevant, accessible, and affordable resources the library offers so they can be effectively utilized for teaching and learning at COCC.
We address these goals through our Instructional Program offerings: IL sessions, embedded librarian, credit courses, face-to-face and online research support, Book-a-Librarian appointments, online tutorials, and subject guides. Usage and metrics are captured and reported annually in November.