Service Animals in the Library
Revised June 2, 2018
In compliance with applicable law and COCC's Service and Assistance Animals Policy, Barber Library allows service animals in the building when the animal is accompanied by an individual with a disability who indicates the service animal is trained to provide, and does provide, a specific service to them that is directly related to their disability.
The following behavioral guidelines for service animals are to be observed:
- Service animals must be in physical proximity with their handler and under handler control at all times.
- Service animals must be on a leash or harness at all times unless the use of a leash or harness interferes with the animal's effective performance of its designated task(s). If the animal cannot be leashed or harnessed, it must be under the handler's control via voice, signals, or other effective means at all times.
- Service animals must not display disruptive behavior such as barking, growling, biting, running away or otherwise leaving the side of the owner, damaging property of college or others.
- Service animals must be housebroken and their handler is responsible for any upkeep or clean-up of the animal.
Patrons may be asked to remove a service animal from the premises if its behavior does not comply to the guidelines above or is disruptive or threatening to the health and safety of others (See Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA, question 28).
Anyone bringing a service dog into a library may be asked by library staff the following questions:
- Is this animal required because of a disability?
- What work or task is the animal trained to perform?
Library patrons are not required to show documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal.
We recommend that COCC students contact Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) to discuss the use of a service animal on campus and to obtain a letter of accommodation. Visitors may also direct specific questions related to the use of service animals on the COCC campus to the SSD Coordinator via email, firstname.lastname@example.org or phone, (541) 383-7743.
See a problem on this page? Report it through the Library Website Feedback Form.