Applications for Fall 2023 program is now available here: https://www.barcelonasae.com/apply-now-cocc/.
Central Oregon Community College has offered a study abroad program to Barcelona Spain every other fall term for 10 years. Our next program offering will be Fall Term 2023. This program is designed for COCC students. Barcelona Study Abroad Experience (SAE) is our partner institution who makes all program arrangements, from travel to insurance to housing. Program payments are made to BarcelonaSAE. COCC makes all academic arrangements, including course offerings, grade reporting and faculty selection. You are taught by COCC instructors who accompany you to Barcelona and who instruct in English and you earn COCC credits. All tuition costs are paid to COCC, and you register from the list in COURSE OFFERINGS by first receiving clearance from the COCC campus representatives, Sara Henson or Amy Harper.
10 Week Program: Fall Term, 2023
September 21- December 16, 2023
Application Deadline: May, 2023
Program fees $9,915/student
Program fees include
- Round trip flight Portland to Barcelona and airport transfer for group flight arrival/departure.
- Homestays with daily breakfast and dinner (homestays may be individual or shared with other students) or Double bedrooms in apartments, with shared living room, kitchen, bath.
- 4-credit Spanish language course, four hours weekly, multiple levels possible depending upon enrollment (e.g. SPAN 103, 201)
- Hosted welcome and farewell dinners
- 3-credit Spanish Life and Culture course taught by local faculty (such topics as History of Spain, contemporary culture, Spain vs. Catalonia, sports, the politics of national languages, gentrification, immigration) and overseen by COCC faculty.
- Weekly cultural activities aimed at cultural awareness and integration (Including Guided visit of Sagrada Familia); weekly cultural agenda with local events and activities sent to all students.
- 2 Day-trips (one outside Barcelona and one hike & typical meal near the city) and a weekend excursion to somewhere in Spain with other students on the program included
- Spanish-English language partners and orientations for intercultural competence
- Activities at local universities, discounts and subsidized cultural events.
- Full, comprehensive medical and accident insurance.
- 24-hour emergency cell phone on-site with Barcelona SAE staff, and institutional support from Rich Kurtzman, Director, student services and activities coordinators
- Experiential education, ICC, and language acquisition built-in to all Activities.
- Re-entry workshop to articulate study abroad experience in resumes, application letters and interviews; preparation for return culture shock
- Unlimited metro pass within Barcelona during your whole stay.
- One COCC instructor offering three AAOT Social Science Discipline Studies courses in Anthropology
Program fees do not include
- COCC Tuition and fees
- Textbooks or other learning materials
- Food, personal expenses or independent travel while in Barcelona
- Cost of obtaining a US Passport
Note: If more than 14 students attend, program fees are reduced and a greater variety of COCC courses could be offered.
Financial aid can be applied to program (revise your FAFSA as soon as possible). Please speak with Breana Sylwester (email@example.com) in the Financial Aid office to explore your financial aid options.
Full-time enrollment (14-18 credits) required. Academic coursework (besides the required language and culture courses) selected from COCC's catalogue. All courses are fully transferable to your Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degree. These are the courses from which your tuition will be determined.
Required Courses for All Participants:
Spanish Language course: Students will be divided into different classes based on current Spanish Language skills and the number of students. 4 credit course for 4 hrs/week. Taught by local faculty from Barcelona SAE.
HUM 107 Spanish Life and Culture: This course explores the life and culture of Spain and Catalonia through a range of activities and explorations. 3 credit course for 3 hrs/week. Taught by local faculty from Barcelona SAE.
General Courses: Take at least 2 out of 3
- ANTH 103 (Cultural Anthropology) 4 credits
- ANTH 240 (Language and Culture) 4 credits
- ANTH 250 (Food and Culture) 4 credits
Payment Due Dates:
20% Program Non-Refundable Deposit due to Barcelona SAE: June 1, 2023
Full Program Non-Refundable Payment Due to Barcelona SAE: August 1, 2023
Note: Barcelona SAE will send invoices 1 month prior to the due date. Students using financial aid to pay program fees will work with Barcelona SAE and COCC financial aid to set payment due dates.