Central Oregon Community College is one of six community college members belonging to the Oregon International Education Consortium (OIEC), which sponsors study abroad programs. The OIEC accepts up to 30 students for the program from the member colleges in Oregon. Students from other Oregon colleges and residents of contiguous states (CA, ID, NV, WA) are welcome to apply through one of the OIEC colleges and also qualify for in-state tuition rates. COCC, working with OIEC, is providing the Fall 2017 Study Abroad in Barcelona, Spain.
Applicants from other states may also participate, but pay out-of-state tuition. In any case, all students are accepted on a first-come basis. Barcelona Study Abroad Experience (SAE) is our partner institution that makes all program arrangements, from travel to insurance to housing. Program payments are made BarcelonaSAE. COCC makes all academic arrangements, including course offerings, grade reporting and faculty selection. You are taught by Oregon instructors who accompany you to Barcelona. All tuition costs are paid to COCC, and you register from the list in COURSE OFFERINGS by first receiving clearance from the COCC campus representatives, Sara Henson or Jon Bouknight.
10 Week Program: Sept 20, 2017-Dec. 6, 2017
Program fees of $8,175.00/student (plus a refundable $500 damage deposit) include almost everything but COCC tuition, books and food.
- round trip flight Portland to Barcelona
- airport pick-up and drop-off for those who arrive and depart on the assigned day and time
- double rooms in apartments with shared living room, kitchen, bath
- 4-credit Spanish language, four hours weekly, two levels possible (e.g. 103 and 203)
- welcome and farewell dinners
- 3-credit Spanish Life and Culture course taught by local faculty (such topics as History of Spain, contemporary culture, Spain vs. Catalonia, sports, youth, festivals, immigration)
- Weekly cultural activities aimed at cultural awareness and integration (Including Guided visit of Sagrada Familia); weekly cultural agenda with local events and activities sent to all students.
- 2 Day-trips (one outside Barcelona and one hike & typical meal near the city) and a weekend excursion to somewhere in Spain with other students on the program included
- cross-cultural activities, such as Spanish-English language partners and orientations for intercultural competence
- activities at local universities, discounts and subsidized cultural events
- comprehensive medical insurance
- option for homestay with a family in Barcelona, including meals (costs an additional $450.00)
- 24-hour emergency cell phone on-site with bilingual Barcelona SAE staff, and institutional support from Rich Kurtzman, Director, student services and activities coordinators
- Re-entry workshop to articulate study abroad experience in resumes, application letters and interviews; preparation for return culture shock
- Student target of 10-20 students
Financial aid can be applied to program (revise your FAFSA as soon as possible).
Full-time enrollment (12-15 credits) required. Academic coursework (besides the required language and culture courses) selected from COCC's catalogue. All courses are fully transferable to your Associate of Arts Degree.