Central Oregon Community College has offered a study abroad program to Barcelona Spain every other fall term for 7 years. Our next program offering will be Fall Term, 2019. This program is designed for COCC students. Barcelona Study Abroad Experience (SAE) is our partner institution that makes all program arrangements, from travel to insurance to housing. Program payments are made to BarcelonaSAE. COCC makes all academic arrangements, including course offerings, grade reporting and faculty selection. You are taught by Oregon instructors who accompany you to Barcelona and who instruct in English. All tuition costs are paid to COCC, and you register from the list in COURSE OFFERINGS by first receiving clearance from the COCC campus representatives, Sara Henson or Mick McCann.
10 Week Program: Sept 20, 2017-Dec. 6, 2017
Application Deadline: May 1, 2019
Program fees of $8,315.00/student (plus a refundable $500 damage deposit) include almost everything but COCC tuition, books and food.
- round trip flight Portland to Barcelona
- airport pick-up and drop-off for those who arrive and depart on the assigned day and time
- Homestay housing including breakfast and dinner daily or shared apartment. Homestay and room may be individual or shared with other students from COCC.
- 4-credit Spanish language, four hours weekly, two levels possible (e.g. 103 and 203)
- welcome and farewell dinners
- 3-credit Spanish Life and Culture course taught by local faculty (such topics as History of Spain, contemporary culture, Spain vs. Catalonia, sports, youth, festivals, immigration)
- Weekly cultural activities aimed at cultural awareness and integration (Including Guided visit of Sagrada Familia); weekly cultural agenda with local events and activities sent to all students.
- 2 Day-trips (one outside Barcelona and one hike & typical meal near the city) and a weekend excursion to somewhere in Spain with other students on the program included
- cross-cultural activities, such as Spanish-English language partners and orientations for intercultural competence
- activities at local universities, discounts and subsidized cultural events
- comprehensive medical insurance
- 24-hour emergency cell phone on-site with bilingual Barcelona SAE staff, and institutional support from Rich Kurtzman, Director, student services and activities coordinators
- Re-entry workshop to articulate study abroad experience in resumes, application letters and interviews; preparation for return culture shock
- If more than 15 students attend, program fees are reduced to $8,115 per student and more variety of COCC courses will be offered. If more than 24 students attend, program fees will be $7,900 and a greater variety of COCC courses will be offered.
Financial aid can be applied to program (revise your FAFSA as soon as possible). Please speak with Malissa Hice (email@example.com) in the Financial Aid office to explore your financial aid options.
Full-time enrollment (15-18 credits) required. Academic coursework (besides the required language and culture courses) selected from COCC's catalogue. All courses are fully transferable to your Associate of Arts Degree.