Frequently Asked Questions

1.  How do I request accommodations?

Your first step is to apply for accommodations.  There is a simple 3 step process explained on our main webpage:  1.  Read the prepare for an appointment section.  2.  Fill out a short application  3. Submit documentation to the same link as your application.  You may be asked to fill out additional forms or submit additional documentation depending on your requests.  You will then be contacted to schedule an appointment to determine services.  It is important to regularly check your COCC email for this communication and information.  Once you have gone through the approval process, you will need to log into your account in Disability Services to then electronically submit your accommodations request directly to your instructors.  Then follow up directly (in person, email, etc). with each instructor to discuss the plan of implementation.  You only need to apply once, but you will need to electronically submit your accommodation requests every term.  Contact if there are any questions or concerns.      


2.  What accommodations will I receive?

That can only be determined through the interactive process, which is described in more detail in the Guide for Students with Disabilities tab located on the left.  This interactive process is an assessment of numerous factors, including the student's description of functional limitations and supporting documentation.  Even the same disability/diagnosis can affect each person in a different way, therefore, an individual interactive process is required in order to determine reasonable accommodations.  The interactive process takes place during your appointment, which is scheduled after you complete the application and submit documentation. 


3.  Will I receive the same accommodations I received in high school if I had an IEP or 504 plan?

Not necessarily.  Having an impairment does not necessarily equate to a 'disability' (a substantial limitation). Accommodations are based on ADA law whereas the K-12 system follows the IDEA law.  The environment of post-secondary education is a lot less restrictive than that of the K-12 environment, therefore, changing the level of impact your diagnosis may have, what you are eligible for, and what is considered reasonable.  You can find more information in the US Department of Education Information tab located on the left, which includes the link Protecting Students with Disabilities.  Along with that, other areas will be considered when assessing reasonable accommodations such as problem-solving about what resources or supports are available that can ameliorate the barrier you are experiencing such as tutoring, spending more time on campus, assistance with time management, taking a reduced course load, taking a balanced course load, assistive technology, etc. These factors will all be considered during the interactive process, which is explained more in the Guide for Students with Disabilities tab located on the left.  Other helpful information  are the links that explain the differences between college and high school expectations, located on the Information for Parents, College Counselors, High School Transition Counselors tab located on the left. 


4.  What do I do if I have any questions or concerns regarding my accommodations?  

Please contact us directly at any of the information located on our main page.  The sooner we hear from you, the sooner we can address and answer your questions and concerns. If we are not contacted in a timely manner, it may limit the amount of help we can provide if there is an issue regarding an accommodation.  We will also do our best to respond to you in a timely manner, as we are also managing timely support for other staff and faculty.  If needed, we can also schedule a time that will ensure when we will connect.  Contact should come from the the student directly as confidentiality laws limit information allowed to be discussed without the student present.  Information also needs to be first hand from the student directly so as to get an accurate representation of the student situation.  .  


5.  Who will be overseeing my progress, ensuring I am using accommodations, monitoring that I am keeping up with assignments, etc.?

You!  That is because there is no individual oversight provided by the college.  The K-12 system was responsible for oversight as required by IDEA law, as K-12 school is a requirement. Since post-secondary education is voluntary and not a requirement, there is no oversight required.  There are a lot more differences between K-12 and post-secondary education that you should be familiar with before starting college.  You can find helpful tables that explain more of these differences at the bottom of the page in the Information for Parents, College Counselors, High School Transition Counselors tab located on the left.


6.  What kind of support will I receive at COCC?

COCC offers numerous free resources to all students.  As mentioned, a big difference in the post-secondary environment is that the student is responsible for recognizing when they need support, and contacting the appropriate resource to receive that support.  Accommodations are not of a personal nature (i.e. individualized tutoring) and it will be the student's responsibility to seek out these additional support needs through the free resources offered.  A few resources are CAP Services which offers free counseling and advising and the Tutoring and Writing Center which offer online support as well.  There are also more resources in the tabs located on the left, including technology resources.  If a student needs more individualized support of a personal nature, they will be responsible for providing that outside support.