Resources for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students
Interpreting and captioning services
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your interpreting and captioning services, please contact our Sign Language Interpreter Facilitator Erin Trimble: firstname.lastname@example.org, and if you'd like to schedule a call. For all other accommodation questions, contact us directly at email@example.com. During this remote time, it is important for you to keep in touch regularly with our office in order to coordinate timely interpreting and captioning services. The following list are resources and tips to improve your experience. You can review your agreement with the timeline required in order to coordinate services at any time.
Tips for remote success:
- If you have not spoken with your instructors yet to review your accommodation requests, please contact them as soon as possible to schedule an appointment. See below for how to submit a request for interpreting services for this appointment.
- For live Zoom meetings, follow the directions on our "how to pin an Interpreter" checklist which also details how to reduce the number of participants on your screen and have your captioning screen readily accessible.
- You may want to create a separate folder in your email. This is because you will be receiving email notifications from our Department when services are confirmed, completed or cancelled for each course.
- This How to Find Zoom Recordings video will demonstrate how to find Zoom recordings after the meeting, including transcripts.
- Transcripts are also available for pre-recorded videos submitted for captioning, such as lecture videos for online courses. These transcripts can be located in your AIM profile, under the Deaf and Hard of Hearing tab. These transcripts can be downloaded and used as study materials.
- The COCC Writing Center is offering virtual sessions with writing tutors. This video has more information.
How to add/cancel your interpreting/captioning requests:
- Once you have submitted your interpreting/captioning accommodation requests from your disability services account for your classes, these services will be provided for the entirety of the term unless we otherwise hear from you. It will be important to contact us if you will be absent from a class as agreed to in your contract above. .
- The Custom Request Video video shows you how to schedule custom requests outside of your courses (meetings with your instructors, advisors, etc.) by logging into your account on our main department page.
- The Canceling Services Video shows you how to withdraw from a course and cancel services.
- National Deaf Center COVID-19 FAQs
- Deaf Friends of Central Oregon
- Oregon Association of the Deaf
- Oregon Adaptive Sports
- Camp Taloali
- Oregon School for the Deaf
- Hearing Loss Association of America
- Observation Form
- Code of Professional Conduct for Interpreters
- Making Sure You Have the Latest Zoom Updates