Student Tuition Tax Information (1098-T)

This section provides links to general information about Federal Education Tax Benefits, help on understanding your 1098-T Forms, and navigation to the IRS website for detailed information. If you disagree with the amounts listed on your 1098-T, contact the COCC's Admission and Records Office at 541-383-7500. If you did not receive a copy of your 1098-T, you may print a copy by logging into your Bobcat Web Account and click the '1098-T Notification' link. COCC staff member are not experts on tax return preparation and federal education tax benefits so they cannot provide tax advise but can assist with general questions. 

  • Federal Education Tax Benefits

    Each year the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators updates their guide to federal education tax benefits. Outlined is information about tax credits that directly reduce the amount of tax for which a tax filer is liable, and tax deductions that reduce the amount of income on which the filer pays taxes. There is also information about related IRS Publications that may be helpful.

    For more information, go to the IRS website.

  • Your 1098-T Forms

    COCC Admissions and Records provides 1098-Ts for the previous calendar year on, or before, January 31. These records are mailed to students. Students and/or bill payers may use the 1098-T information to help calculate their eligibility for tax credits and deductions for the IRS filing year reported on the form.

    *IMPORTANT NOTE* In previous years, your 1098-T included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) we billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we will report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year. 

    Depending on your income (or your family's income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit. (You can find detailed information about claiming education tax credits in IRS Publication 970, page 9.)

    The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 - the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return.

    COCC is unable to provide you with individual tax advice, be should you have questions, you should seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or adviser.

  •  Reading the 1098-T

    BOX 1

    Total amount of qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) you paid in calendar (tax) year, less any refunds received that year. If payments made in the calendar year exceeded QTRE, Box 1 will not include amounts above QTRE.

    Tuition and fees, such as lab, course, aviation, lesson, and student activity fees are examples of qualified expenses. By regulation, room, board, insurance, transportation, expenses not directly billed (books, supplies, equipment), or other personal expenses cannot be included. Please refer to IRS Publication 970 and IRS Form 8863 to calculate eligibility and/or credits.

    BOX 2
    Not applicable to COCC.

    BOX 3
    Not applicable to COCC.

    BOX 4
    This box shows any adjustment made to prior year qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported in the preceding year. This amount may reduce any allowable education credit you may claim.

    BOX 5
    Reflects scholarships, grants, and payments made by a third party (not your parents or other individual) to the student account as payment toward the cost of attendance. Included are institutional, federal, state and/or private scholarships and/or grants that were posted on the student account.

    BOX 6
    Reflects the adjustments in your year being reported to grants or scholarships from the calendar year prior to the year being reported.

    BOX 7
    Is checked if any of the expenses reported in Box 1 related to an academic period that begins in January through March of the year following the year being reported.

    BOX 8
    Is checked if the student was enrolled half-time or greater in the year being reported. The College checks that box if you were half-time or more for at least one term that began during the year. This information is important in determining eligibility for the American Opportunity Tax Credit

    BOX 9
    No applicable to COCC.

    BOX 10
    Not applicable to COCC.


Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Form 1098-T?

1098-T forms will be generated for students who have a valid tax identification number on file with COCC and who have paid tuition and fees expenses in the tax year in question. For individuals, this is your social security number. If you do not have a social security number on file with COCC, a 1098-T form will not automatically be generated for you. COCC is required to provide information on the 1098-T regarding the amount of tuition and mandatory fees charged to the student; scholarships and grants received for the student by the College; and whether the student was enrolled at least-half time at some point during the tax year. COCC is not required to furnish a statement for non-credit courses, nonresident alien students, students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants, and students who do not provide a valid SSN.

Please note: employees of COCC cannot provide guidance on how to use these forms to prepare your taxes. If you are unsure on how these forms should be used, please consult a tax professional or the IRS. If you are a tax professional and have questions about the 1098-T, please consult the IRS.

  • Can I provide my SSN later and receive a 1098-T?

You can provide COCC your SSN on a W-9S form. The College will then send a 1098-T to the student and the IRS. Please contact COCC at 541-383-7500 or for further instructions.

The options for submitting these documents are:

  • In Person: at any of our COCC campuses
  • By Mail: Admission Office, Central Oregon Community College, 2600 NW College Way, Bend, OR 97703
  • By Fax: Admissions Office, 541-318-3700

Please note: For security purposes, do not email.

  • How can I find out if I am eligible for a tax benefit?
Read the Higher Education Federal Tax Benefits Guide and IRS Publication 970, contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 or contact a tax advisor for information on how to determine if you qualify for one of the tax benefits.

  • If I paid for Winter term (January 2022 to March 2022) in calendar year 2021, why is it not reported on my 2021 1098-T?
COCC is required to report transactions by calendar year (January 1, 2021 to December 21, 2021). Payments cannot exceed QTRE charges billed in calendar year 2021.

  • I think I should have received a 1098-T, but did not get one. What should I do?
1098-T tax forms will be mailed by the end of January each year for the preceding calendar year. An electronic copy will be available on your Bobcat Web Account. Click on 'Student Services & Financial Aid', then '1098-T Notification'.

  • I did not keep information on my payments and student loans. Where can I get copies?
This information is available in your Bobcat Web Account.

  • How can I view and get a copy of my 1098-T?
You can view and print a copy of your 1098-T in your Bobcat Web Account.

  • How is the tax credit calculated?
Unfortunately, COCC is unable to provide tax advice to students or parents. It is the taxpayer's responsibility to determine and document the information used in their tax return. It will be helpful to refer to the student's Payment and Registration Invoices for the year being reported for eligible charges and payments. Additional information and assistance can be found in IRS Publication 970 or by contacting a tax advisor.

  • How can the tax credit be calculated if COCC does not provide amounts?
IRS Form 8863 is a worksheet designed to walk the taxpayer through the calculation process. The tax filer can use the student's account activity in combination with the worksheet to establish if they are eligible and, if they are, the amount of credit they are eligible to receive.

  • Are CARES/CRRSA/ARP awards included on my 1098-T?
No, these amounts are not included as awards or refunds that would impact your 1098-T form.

  • Who can I contact for additional questions?
If you have questions about your 1098-T, please contact COCC at 541-383-7500 or Please include the following in your email: name, ID#, current address and a phone number where we can reach you.