Human Development Course Outcomes
Course Outcomes for HD Courses:
HD100 CS: College Success:
LEARNING OUTCOMES: The goal of College Success is to gain the skills and knowledgeneeded to perform effectively in college to determine, establish and achieveacademic goals. Upon completion of the coursestudents will be able to exhibit and describe methods to:
- Develop an individual philosophy on personalresponsibility to make wise choices leading to success in college.
- Integrate knowledge of learning styles withstudy skills (such as listening, note-taking and memory techniques) leading tothe development of an action plan to improve and enhance academic success.
- Assess individual time management skills andpreference styles and adjust accordingly to achieve academic goals leading tosuccessful college performance.
- Identify strategies that demonstrate techniquesto manage and reduce stress.
- Introduce and explore available college tools topractice and incorporate into regular academic habits.
- Identify essential college resources, fromacademic and student services to in-class resources, and select those that arethe most applicable and personally relevant.
- Develop knowledge of college programs and resourcesto create a preliminary academic plan.
HD 101: Study Strategies:
LEARNING OUTCOMES: Upon completion of the course students willbe able to exhibit and describe methods to:
- Read a textbook with improved retention and focus.
- Take accurate and complete text and lecture noteswhich can be used as study tools.
- Reduce test anxiety, prepare for and take tests.
- Manage time with application of self-managementtools.
- Establish personal and professional goals.
- Accept personal responsibility, become a creator,prepare to embrace change and succeed.
- Retain and recall information and understand preferredlearning style.
- Organize study materials to improve understandingand retention
- Understand and accept campus protocol and ethicalstudent behavior.
- Develop positiveself-talk, use visualization and self-esteem/self-care skills.
HD 100TT: Test Taking:
Upon completion of the course, the student should be able toexhibit and describe methods to:
- understand test-taking terminology
- recognize the difference between preparingand studying for tests and exams
- implement appropriate strategies fordifferent exam types
- learn techniques for reducing test anxiety
- utilize faculty and tutoring resourcesbefore and after tests and exams
HD 100 PM: Procrastination/Motivation:
Upon completion students will
- Understandthe power of perceptions on attitude, behavior and motivation
- Examine,choose and prioritize key values from a list of societal and personal values
- Examineself-talk and analyze the impact on motivation and supporting identified values
- Assessand use introduced tools to examine and change messages
- Usepersonal awareness to prioritize actions and diminish procrastination
- Developan internal dialogue to support the accomplishment of personal and professionalgoals
- Planand integrate a plan of action to increase motivation and reduceprocrastination
HD 100 VC: Values Clarification:
Participants who successfully complete the program will be able to:
- Identifyand prioritize personal values
- Recognizeand apply defined values to daily decision making
- Integratedefined values into choice and action
- Evaluatedaily activities within the framework of defined personal values
- Design a visionthat upholds those identified values
- Revise andre-evaluate core values within the context of presented opportunities
HD 110: Career Planning:
OUTCOMES: Thegoal of Career Planning is to be personally aware of the skills and knowledgeneeded to make effective life and career decisions. Upon completion of the class, responsible andinvested students will:
- Students will be able to articulate their own currentinterests, skills, values, and personality preferences
- Students demonstrate understanding of career planning as a lifelongprocess and can identify their current career development stage using Donald Super'scareer development stage theory.
- Merge personalknowledge of self (skills, interests, values, personality preferences) withresources to plan career and academic direction
- Students are able to conduct career research using onlineresources to learn necessary skills, education, work environment, employmentoutlook, and wages about careers of interest
- Students can demonstrate an ability to apply adecision making framework to making career decisions