Native American Summer Program
Summer Training to Revive Indigenous Vision and Empowerment
DATES OF PROGRAM 2022: Tuesday, June 21st- Friday, June 24th
*STRIVE APPLICATION FOR 2022 SESSION IS NOW CLOSED*
STRIVE is COCC's summer program for Native American high school students that introduces participants to the college experience through academic, leadership and cultural activities.
The goal is to expose students to different elements of the college experience that will better prepare them for the transition from high school into college, or wherever their paths may lead. Through a hands-on approach, STRIVE offers activities designed to develop leadership skills, foster cultural pride and cultivate confidence in the college setting.
During the program, students take classes from college professors to explore different career options. They also participate in workshops with tribal leaders and program staff to explore pathways for serving their communities through higher education. Sessions on scholarships and financial aid also help students understand the resources to make college possible. Students earn a college credit, and the program is free of cost.
- Through STRIVE, you'll meet other Native students from across Oregon, college professors, leaders from different tribes, and Native college student mentors. STRIVE is all about connections!
- STRIVE is a great opportunity to get a sense of and prepare for college classes.
- You will earn a free college credit through full participation.
- Your participation in STRIVE will open up opportunities for scholarships.
- You will explore different careers through workshops with college professors.
- STRIVE will help prepare you for the transition from high school to college.
- Through STRIVE, you'll learn more about Native affairs and history and explore how others have used college as a vehicle to serve their tribal communities.
Come earn a college credit and find out what college is like!
STRIVE 2022 will be held on COCC's Bend Campus.
Depending on the COVID-19 situation, STRIVE may shift to an online format. For more details on STRIVE Online, visit our frequently asked questions.
To apply for STRIVE, fill out this online application: APPLICATION CLOSED FOR 2022
Or, you can download a print version of the STRIVE application and send it to:
Native American College Preparation Coordinator
Central Oregon Community College
For questions or if you are interested in teaching at STRIVE, contact Geneva Mayall.