Native American Summer Program
Summer Training to Revive Indigenous Vision and Empowerment
STRIVE is COCC's summer program for Native American high school students that introduces participants to the college experience through structured academic, leadership and cultural activities.
The goal is to expose students to different elements of the college experience that will better prepare them for the transition from high school into college, or wherever their paths may lead. Through a hands-on approach, STRIVE offers activities designed to develop leadership skills, foster cultural pride and cultivate confidence in the college setting.
During the program, students take classes from college professors to explore different career options. They also participate in workshops with tribal leaders and program staff to explore pathways for serving their communities through higher education. Sessions on scholarships and financial aid also help students see that college is possible. Students earn a college credit through the program.
STRIVE 2021 will be a virtual, online programOnline Sessions: Tuesdays and Thursdays 5:00-7:00 p.m. June 22 through July 15
Wait, STRIVE is online? Why should I still participate?
- Through STRIVE, you'll meet other Native students from across Oregon, college professors, leaders from different tribes, and Native college student mentors. STRIVE is all about connections, and this is our priority for our online program too!
- When you head to college, you're likely to take at least some online classes, especially this fall. STRIVE is a great opportunity to get a sense of and prepare for online college classes.
- You will earn a free college credit through full participation.
- Your participation in STRIVE will open up opportunities for scholarships.
- You will explore different careers through workshops with college professors.
- STRIVE will help prepare you for the transition from high school to college.
- Through STRIVE, you'll learn more about Native affairs and history and explore how others have used college as a vehicle to serve their tribal communities.
Come earn a college credit and find out what college is like!
For more details on STRIVE Online, visit our frequently asked questions.
To apply for STRIVE, fill out this online application:
Or, you can download a print version of the STRIVE application and send it to:
Native American College Prep Coordinator
Central Oregon Community College
2600 NW College Way, Bend, OR 97703
For questions or if you are interested in teaching at STRIVE, contact Kelsey Freeman.