The Broadside is the official student newspaper of Central Oregon Community College. The newspaper can be accessed online at TheBroadsideOnline.com.
This award-winning weekly newspaper provides news and entertainment, a platform for free speech, and is a great place to advertise activities and services. The newsroom is also a key program in the Student Life Department, providing students with a way to practice journalism and gain valuable leadership skills.
The newspaper, which is published by the Broadside Publications Board, is funded through student fees allocated by both the Associated Students of Central Oregon Community College, as well as advertising revenues.
If you are interested in working for The Broadside, wish to request copies of the newspaper, or would like to place an advertisement,
you may stop by the newsroom in the Coats Campus Center, Room 102, email the staff
at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact editors by phone at 541-383-7252.
The Broadside Advisor for the current academic year is Teresa Ristow. For questions about The Broadside, contact Teresa via email at email@example.com or by phone at 541-383-7249.
The purpose of The Broadside Publications Board shall be to provide feedback and guidance to The Broadside, but will not have authority to dictate content.
Publications Board Responsibilities
The Publications Board is responsible for the following:
- Hiring/firing of student editor-in-chief of the publication
- Providing regular feedback regarding:
- Production format
- Budget development
- Trends in media and potential future directions for the publication
- Training and professional development
- Serving as campus champions of the publication (in regards to the purpose of the publication, not specific content).
Members of the publications board shall be comprised of the following:
- 2 faculty (one position to be the chair of the department housing journalism courses)
- 2 administrators (one to be the Director of Student Life)
- 2 students
- 1 classified staff
- 1 professional journalist, external to the College
Advisor for Student Media to serve as ex officio member.