Physical Therapy & Athletic Training
Physical therapists (PTs) are licensed health care professionals who help patients reduce pain and improve or restore mobility. PTs examine each individual and develop a plan, using treatment techniques to promote the ability to move, reduce pain, restore function, and prevent disability. In addition, PTs work with individuals to prevent the loss of mobility before it occurs by developing fitness- and wellness-oriented programs for healthier and more active lifestyles. PTs provide care for people in a variety of settings, including hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, home health agencies, schools, sports and fitness facilities, work settings, and nursing homes. State licensure is required in each state in which a physical therapist practices.
In general, students preparing for a career in physical therapy should earn a bachelors degree that provides strong preparation in the sciences. Common requirements are for biology, chemistry, physics, human anatomy, statistics, and psychology. Another frequent requirement for admission is documented volunteer hours in a physical therapy setting.
To learn more about career and degree options in the field of physical therapy visit
the American Physical Therapy Association website. On this website, they provide student resources which includes a helpful list of PT programs in the United States and a summary of the prerequisites to all accredited PT programs. There are two PT programs in Oregon, located at Pacific University in Hillsboro
and the other at George Fox in Newburg.
Jenny Cruikshank email@example.com
John Liccardo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exercise Science/Kinesiology - Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (Online Catalog)
- Pre-Physical Therapy - Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (Online Catalog)
Physical Therapist Assistant Programs (PTA):
These are two year programs that culminate in an Associates Degree.
- Lane Community College
- COCC courses likely to transfer -Coming Soon
- Mt. Hood Community College
- COCC course likely to transfer -Coming Soon
Physical Therapy Programs:
Pacific University, Oregon
George Fox University, Oregon
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
- Bachelors of Athletic Training
Select Out-of-State Programs (alphabetical by state)
- Azusa Pacific University, CA
- California State University, Sacramento
- University of California, San Francisco
- University of the Pacific, Stockton
- Idaho State University, Pocatello
- University of Montana, Missoula (DPT)
- Eastern Washington University, Spokane
- University of Puget Sound, Tacoma
- University of Southern California (Hybrid DPT Program)
- University of Washington, Seattle Highlighted classes that likely will transfer