Biology 234 Course Outcomes
Biology 234 - Microbiology
Upon completion of this course, students will be expected to be able to:
- Know what types of microorganism common pathogens are, so you know how to treat them. These pathogens include viruses, Gram-positive bacteria, Gram-negative bacteria, fungi and protozoa, and all require different treatments.
- Know the names of common human pathogens.
- Understand our defenses against infections, including how vaccinations work to immunize an individual against an infection.
- Understand the difference between narrow-spectrum and broad-spectrum antibiotics, and how they work on bacterial infections.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of infectious diseases common in the USA.
- Use microscopes properly, be able to grow and handle bacteria using sterile technique, and be familiar with some of the techniques used to identify medically important bacteria.
- Practice active listening and be able to follow verbal and written instructions.