Dependents' Educational Assistance

Course of Study

Students must determine a major course of study and enroll in proper courses outlined in the current COCC catalog. VA will not pay for any courses already taken in which a passing grade has been received. Students are advised to work closely with an advisor. Please inform the Veterans Certifying Official if a change in major occurs.

Be sure to notify the VA at 1-888-442-4551 of any address changes. Benefit checks mailed to an old address could be returned to the VA and may take up to six months to have another one issued.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Veteran students are considered in good academic standing with the College when they maintain a GPA of 2.0 and a completion rate of 66.67% at the end of each term. 

All students are notified at the end of the each term in which they have not made satisfactory progress. Veteran students may continue on probation for only one term. If a student on probation fails to meet the minimum standards for another term, the unsatisfactory progress will be reported to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and he/she will not be eligible for Veterans Educational Benefits. Once benefits are canceled, the veteran student may petition the termination by submitting a Veterans Petition to the Veterans Certifying Official outlining the mitigating circumstances.


Complete 12 required credits with a 2.0 grade or better in each class, paying for the courses at their own expense. Upon completion of the 12 required credits with a 'C' grade or better in each class, students can then submit a Veterans Petition requesting reinstatement of Veterans Benefits. If all courses apply towards the degree or certificate with the 'C' grade, certification will resume starting the term following the 12 credits.

Veterans Work-Study

If interested in Veterans Work-Study, contact the Veteran Administration: 1-888-442-4551

Click here to apply for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance.

In this Section