What is the Oregon Promise?
Oregon Promise was created by the Oregon legislature to provide the financial means for more high school graduates to attend post-secondary education, with an emphasis on community colleges as a starting point.
Who is eligible for the Oregon Promise?
- Be a recent Oregon high school graduate or GED recipient
- Received a 2.5 or higher GPA or a GED score of 145 or higher on each test
- Enroll in a community college certificate or degree program within six months of graduation or GED completion
- Have been an Oregon resident for at least 12 months prior to enrolling at an Oregon community college
- Completed the Oregon Promise application by June 1
- Completed the FAFSA® or ORSAA and include one Oregon community college. See: Oregon Promise Deadlines.
- Accepted all federal or state grants
Are there additional requirements?
In order to renew the Oregon Promise, students must meet each requirement below. COCC, students must:
- Participate in academic advising
- Successfully complete College Success or similar course. COCC's College Success (HD 100 CS) class will introduce you to college resources, student services and behaviors that support successful academic transition, growth and planning. COCC’s huge choice of Human Development course offerings, as well as AUT 115, CIS 101, CUL 110, FOR 100 and SFS 101, also fulfill this requirement. Must complete course with a "C" grade or better.
- Attend Bobcat Orientation (recommended before fall term begins)
- Remain in good academic standing throughout the year
- Maintain at least half-time of continuous enrollment during fall, winter and spring terms
- Have not attempted or completed no more than 90 credits
- Completed the FAFSA® or ORSAA and include one Oregon community college
How many credits do students need to take to be eligible for Oregon Promise?
Students must take at least six credits. Oregon Promise will be paid based upon a prorated amount.
- Students attending half-time (6 - 8 credits) will receive 50% for the term
- Students attending three-quarter time (9 - 11 credits) will receive 75% for the term
- Students attending full time (12 or more credits) will receive 100% for the term
How much is the Oregon Promise grant?
The amount of the Oregon Promise varies by student, but all eligible students are guaranteed a minimum of up to $1,000 per year (~$333/term) and up to $3198 ($1033/term). The actual award amount will depend on the students number of credits and other grants.