Taking the Placement Test
If you are enrolling in credit classes, you are required to provide math and writing
placement information before you can register. Most students take COCC's Placement
The placement test assesses academic skills and helps place you into the right level of courses and may meet a program/course prerequisite.
It pays to prepare for the placement test
- Save Money. Studying may help you skip one or more basic math or writing classes.
- More course options. Some courses have a prerequisite, which means you must meet minimum score to register for the course. Some programs require minimum scores before you can enroll.
- Start college successfully. Accurate scores will place you into courses that are neither too easy nor too difficult.
- Lower stress. Refreshing your memory on math formulas and grammar rules or just knowing how the test works may help you feel less anxious and more confident.
Relax! The Placement Test is designed to help you succeed in college, but do prepare!
Schedule an appointment
After you apply for admissions and receive your COCC ID (820#), you may schedule a test appointment. COCC offers placement testing at Bend, Redmond, Madras and Prineville campuses. Appointments not canceled within 24 hours are considered missed. You may be asked to meet with the Placement Test Coordinator after three missed appointments.
Students with Disabilities
If you require test accommodations due to a documented disability, contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (541-383-7583) to establish accommodations prior to reserving a testing time.
The day of the test
- Arrive 15 minutes early. Check-in begins 15 minutes before your scheduled test time. Students arriving after the test has started may be asked to reschedule.
- The test is untimed. It typically takes around 2 hours to complete all tests.
- Bring ID. You will need to show ID with your name and a recognizable photo to test.
- You do not need to bring any materials with you. We provide all testing materials. For some math questions, you will be provided an approved calculator.
- Ask questions. Feel free to ask the staff any questions you may have.
About the test
COCC uses the College Board's Accuplacer Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills, and math tests for placement. This test uses a computer-based format, unlimited time and immediate scores.