What you need to know about placement at COCC
Placement Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Does everyone need to provide math and writing placement?
Yes, if you are new to COCC, and enrolling in credit classes, you will need to provide math & writing placement.
How do I provide placement information?
Most students new to COCC will schedule a placement assessment appointment to meet this requirement. However, there is more than one way to provide placement. See Providing Placement Information for all the ways you may meet the placement requirement.
How long does the placement assessment take?
Can I retake a placement assessment
You must wait a minimum of 14 days to retake the ALEKS math assessment, or the ACCUPLACER writing assessment. You may not retake the Directed Self-Placement assessment.
Can I use COCC’s placement assessment for another college?
Do I need to study for the placement assessment?
After you apply for admissions and receive your COCC ID (820#), you may schedule a test appointment. COCC offers placement testing at Bend, Redmond, Madras and Prineville campuses. Appointments not canceled within 24 hours are considered missed. You may be asked to meet with the Placement Test Coordinator after three missed appointments.
Students with Disabilities
If you require test accommodations due to a documented disability, contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (541-383-7583) to establish accommodations prior to reserving an assessment time.
The day of your assessment
- Arrive 15 minutes early. Check-in begins 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. Students arriving after the assessment has begun may be asked to reschedule.
- The test is untimed. The time it takes you to complete your placement assessment depends on a variety of factors. It could take anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Bring ID. You will need to show ID with your name and a recognizable photo upon check-in. There are no exceptions.
- You do not need to bring any materials with you. We provide all materials.
- Ask questions. Feel free to ask the staff any questions you may have.