Taking the Placement Test - SftS
Most students take COCC's Placement Test to meet the math and writing placement requirement. The placement test helps place you into the right level of courses and may meet a program or course prerequisite.
It pays to prepare for the placement test
- Accurate placement. Preparation will help you place into courses that are neither too easy nor too difficult.
- More course or program options. Some courses or programs have a prerequisite, which means you must meet a minimum score to register.
- Save money. Studying may help you skip one or more basic math or writing classes.
- Lower stress. Refreshing your memory on math formulas and grammar rules or just knowing how the test works may help you feel less anxious and more confident.
Relax! The Placement Test is designed to help you succeed in college, but do prepare!
Schedule an appointment
- After you apply for admissions and receive your COCC ID (820#), you may schedule a test appointment the next business day.
- COCC offers placement testing at Bend, Redmond, Madras and Prineville campuses.
- Test Accommodations: If you require test accommodations due to a documented disability, contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (541-383-7583) to establish accommodations and then contact CAP Services (541-383-7200) to schedule an appointment.
If you require test accommodations due to a documented disability, contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (541-383-7583) to establish accommodations and then contact CAP Services (541-383-7200) to schedule an appointment.
The day of the test
- Arrive 15 minutes early. Check-in begins 15 minutes before your scheduled test time. Students arriving after the test has started may be asked to reschedule.
- The test is untimed. It typically takes around 2 hours to complete all tests.
- Bring ID. You will need to show ID with your name and a recognizable photo to test.
- You do not need to bring any materials with you. We provide all testing materials. For some math questions, you will be provided an approved calculator.
- Ask questions. Feel free to ask the staff any questions you may have.
About the test
COCC uses the College Board's Accuplacer Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills, and math tests for placement. This test uses a computer-based format, unlimited time and immediate scores.