Preparing for the Math Placement Test
When testing at COCC with Accuplacer, you will begin with the Elementary Algebra section of the math test. Based on your score, either your test will end or you will test with Arithmetic or College Level Math. It is important that you do your best when answering each question, however, do not be concerned if you do not know some of the material. This test is designed to place you in the appropriate math course.
The Elementary Algebra test, comprised of 12 questions, measures your ability to perform basic algebraic operations and to solve problems involving elementary algebraic concepts.
- Operations with integers and rational numbers
- Operations with algebraic expressions
- The solution of equations, inequalities, and word problems
There are 17 questions on the arithmetic test. The Arithmetic test measures your ability to perform basic arithmetic operations and to solve problems that involve fundamental arithmetic concepts.
- Operations with whole numbers and fractions
- Operations with decimals and percentages
- Applications and problem solving
College Level Math
The College-Level Math test, comprised of 20 questions, measures your ability to solve problems that involve college-level mathematics concepts.
- Algebraic Operations
- Solutions of Equations and Inequalities
- Coordinate Geometry
- Applications and other algebra topics
- Functions and trigonometry