G-34-4.3 Absence from Classes and Scheduled events by Faculty and Instructors
(formerly HR 9-2.2)
Faculty members are expected to meet all their scheduled classes, labs, office hours, etc. at the regularly scheduled time. In cases of an unanticipated emergency or illness, the faculty member must notify the department chair and the administrative assistant as soon as possible. In cases of planned absence, the faculty member must give advance notice to the department chairperson to discuss arrangements to be taken to cover the absence and any necessary financial adjustments. See the collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 9.1.3 for information on personal leave.
- For part-time and adjunct instructors, the Department Administrative Assistant will provide a "Use of Sick Leave" form (available on "forms" section of the HR webpage) and put it in the faculty member's mailbox.
- Within 2 days of returning to campus, the part-time or adjunct faculty member will complete the form and submit it to the Department Administrative Assistant for signature by the Department Chairperson (or in the case of Emergency leave, the Vice President of Instruction) part-time and adjunct Instructors are to report the actual hours missed (class time and office hours) due to illness or other applicable reasons. Mileage reimbursements will be reduced as appropriate.
- If a full-time faculty member is off campus the entire day due to illness/bereavement, then eight (8) hours should be entered in the online Leave Report form.
- If a full-time faculty member is away from campus due to illness less than one full day but reports to campus for part of the day, the actual number of hours of class time, office hours, committee meetings or other scheduled events missed must be entered in the online Lave Report form.
- If a full-time faculty member uses Personal Leave days, they must submit a paper copy of the Leave Request form to the Vice President for Instruction for approval before taking the leave and subsequently report the leave using the online Leave Report form.
- The following is the method for calculating the daily charge for sick leave for full-time faculty members on a reduced load (for the entire term) due to illness:
- For sick leave taken in Fall or Winter Term, the number of hours per day will be calculated as follows: (number of loads taught in the applicable term) divided by (one third of total loads assigned for the year), then multiply by 8; take this total and subtract from 8 to determine the daily sick leave hours, which will then be multiplied by the number of days in the term.
- For sick leave taken in Spring Term, the number of hours per day will be calculated as follows: (number of loads taught Spring term) divided by (remaining loads necessary to fulfill the contract), then multiply by 8; take this total and subtract from 8 to find the daily sick leave hours, which will then be multiplied by the number of days in the term.
- For example, if we assume a full time yearly load of 45 and the faculty member is teaching 8 loads in Fall or Winter term, then sick leave taken in Fall or Winter term will be calculated as follows: 8 - (8) 8/15 = 3.7 hours for each sick day.
- for example, if we assume a full time yearly load of 45, and the faculty member has taught 33 loads in Fall and Winter terms and is going to teach 8 loads Spring term, then sick leave taken in Spring term will be based on the remaining 12 loads to fulfill the contract: 8 - (8) 8/12 = 2.7 hours for each sick day.
7. Planned or Scheduled Absences If a faculty member is anticipating an absence from College events for reasons other than those addressed above (i.e. seminars, workshops or other professional development activities), the faculty member must consult with the Department Chairperson about appropriate coverage.