Veteran Benefits


Central Oregon Community College is proud to serve veterans and their dependents. The Veterans Certifying Official is located in the Boyle Education Center on the Bend Campus.

  • Requesting certification information and forms
    To establish your benefits at COCC for the first time, please call 541-383-7264 and submit the following documents to the Veterans Certifying Official:
    • Copy of Certificate of Eligibility.
    • DD-214 (Member 4 copy).
    • Submit all official military and college transcripts to

    The COCC Veterans Certifying Official must certify you each term you are planning to enroll in classes at COCC if you want to use your VA education benefits. It can take up to 4 weeks to process your application.

    Chapter 30 and 1606 veterans must verify their enrollment status by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or Interactive Voice Response (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378.  This must be done at the end of each month of enrollment in order to receive benefits.

    If you are using Chapter 35 benefits (Dependents' Educational Assistance), you may be eligible for the tuition waiver. Tuition waivers must be completed each aid year and submitted by the first Friday of the term. 

    Continuing students may submit an online veteran certification request through your Bobcat Web Account.

    Continuing students can also request certification in person by visiting the Boyle Education Center. If you change your degree or certificate program, you must request certification in person.

    Request for Certifications forms:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill® Chapter 33 Monthly Enrollment Verification

    Effective for terms starting on or after Dec. 17, 2021, Post-9/11 GI Bill® students who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments are required to verify their enrollment monthly to continue receiving their payments. Learn more about the enrollment verification requirement and verification methods:

  • In addition to veterans, who can be certified?
    Dependents of . . .
    • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
    • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
    • A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
    • A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
    • Dependent must qualify for Educational Assistance with the Veteran's Administration.
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress
    Students using VA educational benefits at COCC must earn at least a 2.0 GPA each term to maintain good standing. The terms of COCC's Academic Warning Policy for all students, including those using VA educational benefits, are outlined in the College Catalog.

    If a student using VA educational benefits receives a fourth Academic Warning, their benefits will be terminated at COCC and they will not be eligible for reinstatement for one calendar year, in accordance with the Academic Warning Policy. Please note: Students receiving federal financial aid are also bound by the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) upheld by COCC's Financial Aid office.

  • 85/15 Regulation

    The VA prohibits any program of study from being comprised of more than 85% veterans or veteran dependents who are using VA Educational Benefits. This is outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations. COCC programs that have a high percentage of veteran enrollment may be limited to new veteran students or their dependents using VA Educational Benefits. For more information on this, please contact COCC's Veterans Certifying Official at 541-383-7264 or

  • National Guard Tuition Assistance

    Tuition Assistance may be available to help National Guard and Reserve members with educational costs.

    The Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty civilian education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals. TA is a Public Law that is implemented by Department of Defense (DoD) Directive and DoD Instruction, and all Soldiers (officers, warrant officers, enlisted) on active duty, Army National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers on active duty (pursuant to U.S. Code Title 10 or Title 32), and TPU Soldiers are authorized to participate in the TA program.

    The Oregon National Guard State Tuition Assistance (ONGSTA) program* provides funding toward undergraduate tuition, certain fees, and a book allowance, at eligible Oregon postsecondary institutions for current Oregon National Guard Members. The grant can be used up to 90 credits at an Oregon community college and up to 180 quarter credits/120 semester credits at eligible Oregon universities and colleges. Award amounts vary depending on the type of institution the student attends and their eligibility for other military tuition assistance. ONGSTA is available for Army National Guard, Army National Guard Cadets, and Air National Guard.

    *Application for Federal Tuition Assistance is required prior to applying for the Oregon National Guard State Tuition Assistance program.

For more information and to apply for VA Educational Benefits visit:


Walk-ins welcome

Office Hours: Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Veterans Certifying Official
2600 NW College Way
Bend, Oregon 97703
541-383-7264 (p)
541-383-7506 (f)