Job Search Events
COCC Redmond Career Fair
Redmond Technology Center
Looking for some tips on how to make the most out of your career fair experience?
PREPARE TO ATTEND THE CAREER FAIR
- Identify your field of interest and examine what related skills you may have. Check out the Self-assessments available online.
- Review the list of employers coming to the fair and make a list of the employers you find interesting (the list of employers is located at the bottom of this page).
- Create your 30-second ‘sales’ pitch to be used in your introduction.
- Develop your résumés and print multiple copies on résumé paper.
- Research the organizations that are expected to attend the fair and integrate that knowledge into your questions. You will impress them with the initiative you took to research the organization’s mission, purpose, etc.
- Buy or borrow an interview suit or outfit that makes you feel confident and comfortable. Business professional is the standard for most industries.
- Check out this short video: How to Dress for a Career Fair in 30 Seconds
- Buy/borrow a folder or carrying case to hold your résumés, keys, etc. so that your hands are free for handshakes.
- Have questions ready for employers.
- Check out this video: How to prepare for Career Fair (..and get a job out of it!)
EXCEL AT THE FAIR
- Study the layout of the fair and be prepared to visit key employers.
- Give employers what they are looking for: skills, confidence, being prepared and respectful.
- Check out this video: What To Do and Not Do at a Career Fair, from the UCLA Career Center
- Be conscious of the employer’s time, especially if there is a line behind you.
- Do not be distracted by any employers giveaways.
- Display your name tag on your right side below your shoulder.
- If you have to wait in a line to speak to employers, listen to others’ conversations. Use the information to make your questions even better.
POST FAIR TIPS
- If you really enjoyed talking to an organization and you want them to remember you, consider sending a thank you email to follow-up on your conversation. Include a thanks, highlight your skills, remind them of what position you discussed, and highlight the next step you plan to take (or have already taken)
- Consider staying engaged with organizations by “following” them on LinkedIn or Twitter.
Here are some great links we recommend:
NEED HELP PREPARING?
Schedule an appointment with Tracy Dula, Career Services Coordinator, to go over your resume or interviewing skills. Call CAP Services at 541-383-7200.
Employers attending the Redmond Career Fair
- Alpine Entertainment
- Bend Habitat for Humanity
- Bend Parks & Recreation District
- Bennington Properties
- Cardinal Services
- Consumer Cellular
- Contact Industies
- Freightliner Northwest
- Job Connection
- Lowe’s Home Improvement
- Notre Dame Mission Volunteer AmeriCorps
- Opportunity Foundation
- Pronghorn Resort