Do you want to work in a supportive environment? Do you like performing a variety of tasks? Do you think quickly on your feet? Are you a good communicator? If so, the Dental Assisting One Year Certificate program may be for you.
Core courses will set the foundation for hands-on training by some of the best dentists and instructors in the area. The Dental Assisting program trains students in a broad range of clinical skills including assisting the dentist during procedures, preparing patients for exams, performing radiographic procedures, maintaining medical records, patient scheduling, plus basic secretarial and receptionist skills.
Students are admitted once per year and begin in the fall term. Students move through the program as cohort, providing a close, supportive environment. Our lab is equipped with the most up-to-date equipment.
|The program in Dental Assisting is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-2678. The Commission’s web address is: http://www.ada.org/en/coda.|
This accreditation enables students, upon graduation from the dental assisting program at COCC, to obtain the Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (EFDA) certification. This certification is distinct to Oregon and allows certificants to practice all advanced dental assisting skills allowed by the Oregon Board of Dentistry (OBD). In addition, during the Program, students will be taking three Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) examinations. After successful completion of these exams students become Certified Dental Assistants (CDA). This certification is accepted in thirty-nine states, allowing graduates to be employed in most states.
The following six program outcomes were developed as a result of the standards set by CODA:
- Apply the principles of dental sciences to ensure quality patient care.
- Perform a comprehensive set of dental assisting skills for optimal and safe patient care.
- Perform duties within existing ethical and legal parameters of clinical dental practice.
- Accurately document the delivery of dental treatment to facilitate continuity of care, and maintain records in compliance with state, federal, and Oregon Board of Dentistry (OBD) laws.
- Apply current concepts of infection control and occupational safety.
- Demonstrate professional behavior in every aspect of patient care and interpersonal relations.
To learn more or enroll, please contact:
Dental Assisting Program Director: Lynn Murray
email@example.com | 541-383-7574