The Central Oregon Community College Veterinary Technician Program is a closed admission program. The program accepts approximately 24 students every two years. The online application will be available Monday January 8, 2018 for the Fall 2018 class.
The application must be submitted by the deadline, May 1, 2018 by 5:00 pm. Please refer to the Admissions Handbook for detailed admission requirements.
- Current COCC Student
- Completion of the required prerequisite courses with a grade of C or better and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. All prerequisite courses must be successfully completed by the end of Winter term in the year you plan to apply.
||MTH 95 or MTH 111 or higher
||BI 101 or BI 211
||4 or 5
||GS 105 or CH 104
||4 or 5
- Official High School Diploma or GED
- Completion of the Assessment Technology Institute’s Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS) exam with a minimum score level of "Proficient"
- Completion of 40 hours of observation in a veterinary clinic and discussion questions
Applicants are evaluated using a point system. Points may be earned in the following areas:
- ATI TEAS Exam (50 points max)
- The student’s “adjusted composite score” will be used to calculate points toward the student’s application. The score will be multiplied by 0.50 in order to determine actual application points.
- Applicant Interview (30 points max)
- The interview allows the Admissions Committee to assess the student’s knowledge of veterinary technology, academic and professional goals, preparedness, commitment, team skills and values. It also provides the committee the opportunity to obtain specific information about the
student’s animal experience. All applicant interviews will be scored using a grading rubric.
- Veterinary/Animal Experience (20 points max)
- Students who have experience in the veterinary medical field or with animal handling will be awarded points based on the type of animal experience. Students must provide verification of volunteer/work hours. NOTE: The 40 hours observation requirement does not count here.