Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training
AHEC Bilingual Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training - Next Course Starts Early 2018
Attend a Free Information Session to Learn More About this Training
11/7 Tu 5:30PM-6:30PM Bend BEC 154
To register, call 541.383.7270 or
Register Online Now.
The Spanish Health Care Interpreter 156 hour training (6 months) prepares bilingual individuals to serve as Health Care Interpreters in medical settings and meets the Oregon Health Care interpreter law standards for training and education qualification:
http://www.oregon.gov/OHA/oei/pages/index.aspx. The course is offered in partnership between the Oregon Area Health Education Center (AHEC) and Central Oregon Community College and is delivered in a blended format including online instruction, classroom
instruction and clinical practicum.
The course fee is $1675 (includes books/materials) and is paid in two payments ($975 prior to course start date and $700 prior to clinical practicum). This is a noncredit course and is not eligible for Federal Financial Aid. Additional costs include a background check and TB test to meet clinical site requirements
(these costs are not included in course fee).
2018 Spanish Health Care Interpreter Application & Information Packet (pdf) includes course content and delivery methods, application form, language proficiency requirement, reference form, important dates, and clinical requirements. Please review this 11 page document carefully. See links below to individual forms
contained in the full application document.
Criteria for Health Care Interpreter Course Applicants:
- Be fluent in English and Spanish; ability to change languages back and forth easily, and maintain a fast and smooth pace (see Language Proficiency Requirement below)
- Have written literacy in both Spanish and English
- Have some experience in interpreting (informal, volunteer, family-based is acceptable)
- Have an interest in becoming a health care interpreter
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum education of a High School Diploma
- Have knowledge of or work experience in/with Spanish speaking populations
- Have a computer with a reliable high speed internet connection (not dial up)
- Have a web camera to participate in weekly online sessions from home
- Must not be on the Medicaid Exclusion list:
Language Proficiency Requirement
This course is delivered bilingually in Spanish and English, so applicants are required to include documentation of language proficiency in both languages with their application. See page 2 and 3 of the application/info document for more information on language proficiency
Applicants who graduated from an English-speaking high school are required to provide language proficiency documentation in Spanish. Applicants who graduated from a Spanish-speaking high school are required to provide language proficiency documentation in English. Options to meet the language proficiency requirement
are listed on page 11 of the application document or on the Language Proficiency Checklist link below. Please include a copy of your high school diploma with your application.
February 2017 Course Documents (these will be updated for the 2018 course):
2018 Spanish Health Care Interpreter Application & Information
2018 Spanich HCI Application - 4 pages (pdf)
2018 Spanich HCI Reference Form - 2 pages (pdf)
2018 Spanish HCI Important Dates (pdf)
OHA Language Proficiency Requirements (pdf)
Language Proficiency Checklist (pdf)
What Makes Our Training Unique?
- 6 Month Training (156 hours)
- Bilingual delivery in Spanish & English
- Includes medical terminology and anatomy in both languages
- Online & self-study plus monthly Saturday sessions in Bend - great for working students
- Clinical practicum to apply learning in a health care setting
Learn About Our Instructors
NOTE: The Oregon AHEC Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training at Central Oregon Community College meets the
Oregon Health Authority Training Standards.
our Spanish Health Care Interpreter Interest List using the link below.
Information will be sent to you via email as it becomes available. For
questions, please call 541.383.7270.
Sign Up Now
For Email Marketing you can trust.