Campus Public Safety Frequently Asked Questions
Click the question title to display answers.


1. When do I call Campus Public Safety and when do I call 911

1. If this is a life-threatening emergency, occurring now, dial 9-1-1, if using an on-campus phone dial 9-9-1-1.

Campus Public Safety has a strong working relationship with local first responders.  In fact, our phone system tracks calls placed to 9-1-1 so we know when an emergency call originates from our campus.  In addition, local dispatchers let us know when they receive an emergency call from COCC.  We encourage people to call directly to 9-1-1 (add a 9 if calling from a campus landline) anytime there is:

  • Active violence or aggression (people getting hurt)
  • Serious medical emergencies (chest pain, head, neck, or spine injuries, unconsciousness, severe bleeding injuries, serious burns, etc…)
  • Fire (CPs can handle smoldering ashtrays and will investigate smells or signs of smoke, but anything fire related beyond that should prompt a 9-1-1 call).

For all other incidents, call Campus Public Safety at 541-383-7272.

Our department is equipped to handle a growing variety of emergencies on campus Our response time is a small fraction of local emergency services, and we know the campus culture, community, and layout well.  Please call us for anything that seems just below the threshold for 9-1-1.  However, the only real mistake is to NOT call someone when there is a safety or security related concern.  Whether we take the call first or local agencies do, we all coordinate our response efforts.  

2. Where is Campus Public Safety located?

Our main office is located just off the north hall in the Boyle Education Center on the Bend Campus, Room 161.

The department also has a satellite office located on the Redmond Campus in building 3 (check in at the main information window for access).

3. What are the Campus Public Safety hours of operation?

Our main office is open Monday through Friday 8 AM to 5 PM. However, officers are on duty 24/7/365.

4. What’s the best way to reach Campus Public Safety?

Campus Public Safety is available 24/7/365 at 541-383-7272.

5. Does Campus Public Safety have a "police log" or other publication that could help make students, staff and faculty aware of issues that may be on the rise (car break-ins, violent behavior, etc.,) or of concern?

Every week the campus newspaper “The Broadside” features the Campus Public Safety’s log for cases resulting in a report. This same information is published every academic year in the Annual Security Report and the Annual Fire Safety Report as required by the Clery Act. This report includes detailed public safety information and provides statistics for crimes occurring on campus. The report is available at select locations on campus and in the Department of Campus Public Safety, as well as online. The department can also provide a daily log of incidents on campus. To obtain the log, please stop in at our office.


1. How do I get a parking permit/temporary permit?

Parking permits can be issued by the Info booth, Campus Public Safety, and all Admissions and Records Offices (Bend, Redmond, and Madras).

Temporary parking permits are issued by the info booth, Campus Public Safety, and the Admissions and Records Office on both Redmond and Madras campuses. As well as individual departments on campus.

2. Does CPS cite for parking violations during the first part of the term?

Campus Public Safety has the legal authority to issue parking violations year round including the first part of the term; however, during the first week of FALL TERM Campus Public Safety officers use a high level of discretion for violation #5 (failure to register vehicle with College or display permit). All other parking and traffic violations are enforced throughout the year.

4. How do I appeal a parking ticket?

To appeal a parking citation, please obtain an appeals form and turn it in to our office with a copy of the citation itself.  This form is available in our office at the Bend Information Booth (Located in the Boyle Education Center), the admissions office on the Redmond campus and online using the Public Safety Traffic Citation Appeal Form.

Appeals are generally heard every other week, by the Citations Appeals Board. This board is made of a non-partisan, cross-section of our campus community including representatives from the student body, administrators, faculty and classified employees. Persons submitting an appeal may also appear in person (by appointment) to present their appeal. The board may waive (void) the citation, deny (uphold) or reduce the monetary penalty. The decision of the board is final and may only be re-appealed if new information is presented.

5. When is my citation due?

Citations are due and payable within seven days. If paid within seven days, you may qualify for a reduced penalty amount. Citations that remain unpaid are included in your College account, may prevent you from registering or obtaining transcripts and will eventually forwarded to the State Department of Revenue for collection. Citations are paid through the Admission and Records Department located in the Boyle Education Center, online or by mail.

6. Can Public Safety stop and issue me a citation for traffic violations?

Yes, Public Safety Officers are empowered as limited peace officers, under state law (ORS 341.300) to conduct traffic enforcement, which includes stopping and issuing citations to motorists who have violated college district or state traffic laws.

7. Why are there cinders on the grounds when there is no snow?

Winter in Central Oregon can be tough. Our region can experience serious snowfall, long periods of sun, and rapid return of snow. The costs of laying cinder and totally removing it are extremely high – potentially exceeding $26,000 each time! Currently, the College schedules cinder removal from our roads twice each year. In addition, walkways, crosswalks, ADA parking areas, and some of the steeper hills are cleared more frequently. We also utilize contractors to sweep roadways and parking lots on the Bend and Redmond campuses during Spring Break. The College continues to explore ways to expand its resources to respond to inclement weather. As always, we encourage people to take appropriate precautions for our diverse, Central Oregon seasons.


1. What should I do if I see someone yelling at someone else and “getting in their face”?

If you see something that doesn’t look or sound right, please call Campus Public Safety.  Don’t wait to see if things resolve on their own.  If a situation resolves before we arrive on scene, that is just fine, but we will still want to document the incident or concern.  However, if things get worse, we want to be well on our way by then.

For your safety do not get involved in suspicious or threatening situations.  

2. What if I see someone with a weapon?

Call Campus Public Safety.  If the person(s) appears to be an active threat… Remember:

  1. Move away from violence (as far and as fast as you can using cover)
  2. Move to a secure location (somewhere that affords distance, cover, and concealment)
  3. Take aggressive action if necessary to prevent death or injury

3. What if I see someone smoking in a non-smoking area?

Feel free to call us if it appears someone is violating a college policy or a law.  Research and experience shows that addressing low-level violations early improves climate and reduces crime.  We encourage people to call us when people are not respecting the campus environment and community.

Again, it is advisable not confront someone over a rule violation.  If the person asks for information, feel free to tell them what you know or refer them to our office. 

4. What if I see a black widow or scorpion in my office?

Over the years, we have received reports of black widows, coyotes, wounded deer, and loose dogs.  Please remain a safe distance from any potentially dangerous animal.  Also, do not feed them, try to rescue them, or attempt to capture or kill them (okay, maybe the spider).

Please call Campus Public Safety and we will help with response, documentation and any follow up that is needed. 

5. What do I do if I am the victim of a crime?

Reporting of crimes and incidents on campus is part of keeping our community safe.  If we are not aware of what is happening, we cannot work to address and eliminate those problems. Your safety is top priority, so make sure that you have done what you can to be in a position to safely call us.  If you are the victim, or aware of any crime, call Campus Public Safety. We will document and investigate the incident as appropriate.

6. Where do I go or who do I contact when I lose something? 

Lost and found items ultimately end up in the CPS office or in Lost and Found located in the Coats Campus Center. All found property is collected, documented, tracked and released. However, it is worth checking with the people in the area where you lost the item to see if it is still being held there.

Lost and Found- (541)-383-7590

Campus Public Safety- (541) 383-7272

7. Where can I get help with counseling?

If you are a student, please contact our Counseling and Placement Center (CAP) for assistance in setting something up.  If you are an employee, get in touch with our Human Resources Department for help.  They have great internal and external resources.

8. I heard that COCC employees are mandatory reporters. What does this mean?

That is correct. College employees ARE mandatory reporters. That means that if an employee witnesses or learns of any behavior that is abusive toward minors (anyone under the age of 18 who is not married); they are required by law to report that directly to the Department of Human Services (DHS) at 541-548-9499. The College also requires any employee who learns of a possible child abuse, through the course of their employment, to report this to the College Risk Manager or the Campus Public Safety Supervisor.  As always, if someone is being injured, 911 should be called first then Campus Public Safety (CPS). Calls to DHS need to be made as soon as possible, but not at the expense of getting emergency responders to the scene.  

9. I’m the last one leaving the office, its 6 P.M. and I forgot my key to lock the outer door – do I call Campus Services or Campus Public Safety to get the office locked up properly?

Campus Public Safety is more than happy to assist with any lock or unlock request, but please keep in mind that room unlock/ locks  at a specific time are dependent on Public Safety Officer availability (depending on other activities occurring on campus).  Officers will always make every attempt to respond to the unlock / lock and have the room open on time.  However, rooms with special electronics or special equipment (computer labs, tool areas, science rooms, health careers, etc.) cannot be unlocked unless an instructor or the person responsible for the room is present. 

10. What are the red towers with blue lights around campus for?  What happens when the button is pressed on them?

The red towers on campus are essentially direct phone lines to Campus Public Safety.  If you lose your cell phone, have car trouble, need a personal safety escort, etc… just push the button and your call will be routed to the on duty officer.

Red Towers are located in the following locations: Rear of Boyle Education Center (Phone style), Robert Barber Library (2), Health Careers Center, Residence Hall (2), Newberry Hall (Phone style), Science Building, Quad, and the parking lot across from the Coats Campus Center. There is also one located in front of the Redmond Technology Center

11. Does COCC have security cameras on campus?  Where are they?

Yes, security cameras are in use on campus.  They monitor high traffic areas, high value assets, large group areas, critical infrastructure, construction sites, weather, etc…. Security cameras record activity and can be accessed and monitored in real-time by authorized campus public safety authorities.  

12. What should I do at night when I see outside doors not locking or closing all the way, and I’m alone?

Our campus community is the best deterrent against crime and it begins with building security and not propping open doors and making sure they close behind us.  If after trying, you are unable to get a door to securely close, give us a call, regardless of what campus you are on.

13. Can I report something to CPS anonymously?

Yes.  To make an anonymous report, ...

Please keep in mind, anonymous reporting helps the College with statistical data and general awareness, but not much can happen in terms of prevention, investigation, or holding offenders accountable. We are committed to protecting the dignity, privacy, and safety of individuals who report things to our office.  We will work with you to ensure that your needs are met as we seek to protect our campus community.

14. I’m looking for advice on a matter of personal or public safety, but I’m not sure I want anything to happen.

Campus Public Safety is here for you!  We are here to lend a sympathetic ear and lend a helping hand when needed.  If you have a concern or just need general advice, contact us and we’ll be happy to talk on the phone, meet you on campus or stop by our office.  We can provide you with options that put you in the driver’s seat of deciding what to do. 

15. Does CPS offer personal safety escorts to faculty, staff, and students?

An important component of Campus Public Safety operations is ensuring the personal safety of staff and students.  Occasionally, staff or students may request a CPS “safety escort” due to concerns they may have for the time of day, location of their vehicle or transportation of valuables.  CPS staff will make every reasonable attempt to assist with these safety escorts.

Officers will not escort someone off campus property unless authorized by a supervisor (exception: trespass violations where there is legal authority to escort a person from the campus).


For policy information see: COCC General Polices and COCC Student Policies.

1. What about marijuana or if I have a medical marijuana permit?

Since COCC is a federally funded institution, we are required to strictly follow federal law and guidelines. Federal law prohibits the possession of marijuana, regardless of a state laws or a issued medicinal marijuana authorization card. Marijuana is not allowed anywhere on campus, under any circumstances. This includes paraphernalia associated with the use of marijuana.

2. Are pets/dogs allowed on campus?

Pets are not allowed on COCC's campuses, including in vehicles.  Students who have an animal that provides a service related to a disability, or have an animal they are requesting to be on campus for other accommodation purposes will need to contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) to receive approval.  Please contact the SSD office by calling 541-383-7583, or by stopping by the offices in the Boyle Education Center.  Animals authorized through the Veterinary Tech program are exempt.

3. Are there designated smoking areas?

No. Smoking is permitted only at a distance of 25 feet from any building AND in parking lots. The 25 foot rule is for health purposes, and the parking lot element addresses potential fire danger.

4. Can I skate on campus?

No. Skiing, snowboarding, sledding or skating of any kind is not allowed except during officially sanctioned College events.

5. I have a concealed weapons permit. Can I carry my firearm on campus?

"No person – including students, employees, vendors, college patrons, or other visitors – may bring, possess, conceal, brandish, use or be in possession of a firearm, destructive device or other dangerous weapons (cit. ORS 161.015(1)(2), or give the appearance of being in possession, on college-owned or controlled property or at activities under the jurisdiction or sponsorship of the college, except as provided by ORS 166.360, 166.370, and federal law."

The College strongly discourages the possession of firearms on campus and enforces this to the fullest extent of the law.  However, we recognize provisions under the Oregon Revised Statutes that create limited exemptions to these prohibitions. Persons who are allowed to carry firearms under the provisions of the Oregon Revised Statutes must understand the responsibility and liability associated with the carrying, possession or use of a firearm.

If you are permitted under Oregon Revised Statutes to carry a concealed firearm, please pay close attention to the following information:

  1. The responsibility to properly and lawfully carry and conceal your firearm rests squarely with you.  Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action from the College.
  2. Improper use, carry, storage, concealment or behavior related to firearms may be grounds for Campus Public Safety to notify the relevant county Sheriff of such actions.  This information can negatively affect your concealed carry licensure.
  3. The fact that you carry or otherwise possess a firearm on campus may be alarming to some people.  Please exercise sound judgment in regard to what you communicate about this topic.  Again, disruptive behavior, including communications that cause alarm, may prompt disciplinary action from the College or authorities. 
  4. If a violent situation occurs on campus, best practices established by federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies and other workplace violence prevention experts  include immediately moving away from the threat, moving to a secure location, and, if necessary as a last resort for personal safety – taking physical action against the attacker.  If you use a legally carried and possessed firearm or dangerous weapon to defend yourself, the liability for the use of that weapon rests with you, not the College.  College students and employees do not have a duty to engage a violent, aggressive, or suspicious person.
  5. During critical incidents, please seriously consider the impact of any individual actions you take in the larger context of emergency response plans that will be in effect.  Campus Public Safety, local law enforcement and other first responders may be rapidly approaching the scene. 
  6. Please access College resources for help in disputes, altercations, etc.  Campus Public Safety, Student Life, CAP Center counselors, and Human Resources are trained, equipped, and available to help facilitate early identification and resolution of conflict. 
  7. Please respect the board-approved authority of Campus Public Safety Officers and law enforcement to provide for safety and security on College property.  This may include immediately complying with officer directives during critical incidents and emergencies, as well as displaying your concealed weapons permit if asked by an officer.  Failure to do so may result in College disciplinary action and/or criminal liability. 

Thank you for your help in making COCC a safe learning environment!


1. How do I properly dispose of chemicals?

It depends on the chemical. If you are concerned about the disposal of chemicals, please contact public safety. We will help you determine your next steps.

2. How do I properly dispose of batteries?

Please contact Campus Services at 541-383-7237

3. How do I dispose of medical waste?

Biological or medical waste including needles, blood covered material, and rubber gloves should be placed in a specially marked bio hazard container (sharps container for all needles). All universal precautions should be followed. When bio hazard containers are full or you have bio-hazardous material but no container, please contact Campus Services.To view COCC’s Blood Borne Pathogen Exposure Control Plan, click here…

4. I walked into the building and I think I smell natural gas, who do I call?

If you smell natural gas or any other noticeable and concerning odor, move outdoors and call Campus Public Safety. We will work with Campus Services and external partners to assess and resolve the situation safely.

5.When is it appropriate to use the online incident reporting form, and when is it not?

The online reporting form on our home page is very important for documentation purposes and to ensure that safety related matters are investigated. For crimes, emergency incidents, threats or hazards, contact Campus Public Safety at 541-383-7272.

You may receive direction to complete the online report form, but it’s best to start with a phone call to Campus Public Safety. Keep in mind, that the online reporting system is for non-urgent incidents, academic integrity issues or when directed by Campus Public Safety or Student Life. These reports are not immediately reviewed at all hours, so anything that could have immediate implications to safety should initially be reported to Campus Public Safety.


1. What do I do if there is an earthquake?

The best immediate response to an earthquake is to DROP, COVER, AND HOLD ON.  Follow emergency notification messages for information and instructions.  For additional information, please see Emergency Preparation at COCC.

2. What do I do if there is a fire?

If there is a fire, or if the fire alarms activate, move immediately out of the building via the shortest path to an exit.  Avoid elevators.  Alert others to get out.  Do not try to fight a fire.  Once you are out of the building, attempt to move to an evacuation assembly area.  To see where these areas are located, please see COCC Evacuation Map (pdf).

3. What do I do if there is a shooting on campus?

Active shooter incidents are frightening and unfold rapidly, but there are three important things you can do to stay safe if this occurs:




Please click here for more detailed information of this type of incident.

4. How do I know what is going on when I am not on campus?

The best ways to stay informed about safety related information are:

  • Emergency Notification System
  • The website www.cocc.edu
  • Your own College email account
  • Local media

During emergency situations, do not call into Campus Public Safety unless you have key information related to an emergency or you have a new emergency.  During inclement weather or serious incidents, the College will push information out to the campus community via the channels above.

5. How do I sign up for the College Emergency Notification System?

Please visit the Bobcat Web and log in, or create, a Bobcat account. From there you will be able to select emergency notification system (ENS) preferences. 


1. Can I obtain a copy of an incident or traffic accident report?

The department will generally release copies of theft reports to victims for insurance purposes as well as copies of traffic accident reports to involved persons.  To obtain a copy of report, contact the department.

2. What do I do if there is a Campus Public Safety emergency vehicle with lights/sirens activated?

College policy and state law requires that you pull to the side of the road and yield to them.  Keep in mind, what they are going to is serious and may be a life-and-death situation where every minute counts.

3. I’m interested in job in Campus Public Safety!

The Campus Public Safety Department hires for a variety of positions including: Campus Public Safety Officers, Part-time Campus Public Safety Officers, Dispatcher, Student Dispatchers, Student Parking Enforcement Officers and cadets.  Visit COCC's Employment website for available positions.  Also, contact us for a brochure and information about our department.

4. I am interested in learning more about Public Safety and would like to go on a ride-along!

Public Safety offers ride-along opportunities for campus community members. Through a ride-along you will have the opportunity to view first-hand the daily duties of Campus Public Safety Officers.  You will ride with the officer in a marked patrol vehicle, observe incidents they respond to and have an informative and entertaining experience.

5. Someone has made me uncomfortable or feeling unsafe, is there anything Public Safety can do to help stop their behavior?

Campus Public Safety Officers are empowered to issue no-contact and trespass orders.  These legal documents issued by the College provide specific (College mandated) directions to persons on campus including; directions to not contact, stay-away a specific distance, remain off campus, etc.  These are issued under the discretion of the investigating officer. 

6. Can I have my Unmanned Aerial System on Campus?

Use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) or systems (UAS) from, on, or above COCC college property is prohibited without prior, written approval from the President or his or her designee.

Unmanned aerial vehicles can create safety and privacy risks that are disruptive to the campus environment. These procedures should be followed to ensure compliance with the policy:

  1. All requests to use or operate unmanned aerial vehicles or systems from, on, or above COCC college property should be directed in advanced to the Campus Public Safety department at 541-383-7272.
  2. Campus Public Safety will respond to and investigate incidents involving the use of UAV's or UAS's and may refer cases to local, state, or federal law enforcement agencies on a case by case basis.
  3. Monetary fines or disciplinary action may be imposed by the college.
  4. Downed UAV's may be recovered by campus public safety and held as found property or turned over to law enforcement agencies if there is evidence of criminal activity, including unlawful audio or video recording.
  5. Commercial UAS services on campus must also be pre-approved through Campus Public Safety.

In this Section