Medical Assistant Certificate Requirements
2018/2019 Certificate of Completion
Certificate as Awarded on Transcript: Certificate of Completion, Medical Assistant
All prerequisite courses must be passed with a C or higher to register for the Medical Assistant Program classes. Classes starting with the letters MA are considered core program classes.
- Prerequisite Courses:
- MTH 95** Intermediate Algebra [4 credits]
- AH 111 Medical Terminology I [3 credits]
- AH 112 Medical Terminology II [3 credits]
- BI 121 Human Anatomy and Function I [4 credits]
- BI 122 Human Anatomy and Function II [4 credits]
- BI 231, BI 232 and BI 233 can be substituted for BI 121 and BI 122
- CIS 120 Computer Concepts or computer competency test [0-4 credits]
- AH 113 Introduction to Study of Disease [5 credits]
- WR 121 English Composition [4 credits]
- SP 218 Interpersonal Communication [3 credits]
- Students who have already completed SP 111 and a class meeting the Human Relations requirement may be able to substitute these classes for SP 218. Contact the Program Director for details.
- CIS 10 Computer Keyboarding [1 credit] (may be taken prior to entry or at any time
during the program)
- Are you faster than 40 words per minute? You can test out of CIS 10. Go to https://www.cocc.edu/programs/cis/cis10challenge.aspx for more details.
**or MTH 98 or higher. MTH 95 is recommended if students have time to take it.
- Core Requirements: MA core classes are taken together and sequentially after students have entered the
Medical Assistant Program.
- MA 110 Introduction to Clinical Medical Assisting [7 credits]
- MA 111 Introduction to Professional Medical Assisting [5 credits]
- MA 120 Clinical Medical Assisting II [7 credits]
- MA 121 Administrative Medical Assisting [5 credits]
- MA 137 Application of Professional Medical Assisting [4 credits]
- MA 140 *Nutrition, CPR and First Aid for Medical Assistants [3 credits]
- MA 147 Medical Assistant Practicum I [5 credits]
- MA 150 Pharmacology for Medical Assistants [3 credits]
*Students who do not earn required CPR/First aid cards during this class will be required to earn these at their own expense prior to the start of practicum.