Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to common questions about the Massage Therapy program at COCC
When can I register for the massage program?
- Our program has 2 starts each year.
- Evening classes beginning at 5:45 p.m. each Spring
- Day classes beginning at 9 a.m. each Fall
- You must meet placement score criteria OR provide college transcripts in order to
be eligible to enroll in the massage therapy program:
- Reading & Writing placement into WR 121 OR completed WR 65 or higher
- Placement into MTH 20 OR higher OR completion of MTH 10
- While not necessary, we recommend that you complete ONE section of Anatomy (BI 121 OR 122 OR 231) before enrolling in the Massage Therapy Program
- Enrollment is a first come-first serve basis for the massage therapy program once prerequisite and/or placement scores are met
How much is the cost?
- Program costs are based on regular COCC tuition + a program fee per LMT class credit
- All LMT courses have a $25 per credit program fee.
- 100 level LMT courses in terms 2-4 carry an additional $17 per credit fee that pays for your massage licensing and exam fees*
- Exams fees are paid upon completion of the Certificate in Massage Therapy
Will financial aid pay for massage therapy classes?
- Speak to your financial aid contact or the Financial Aid Office at 541-383-7260
- Current Federal Financial Aid rules will cover the certificate of completion if it is embedded in the AAS degree. Talk to your LMT advisor if you have questions or concerns about changes to financial aid
How long will it take me to complete the Certificate of Completion program in massage therapy?
- If you have met the prerequisites for the LMT program, you will complete the program in 4 terms
- No summer LMT classes are available, but you can work on your AAS degree classes in the summer term
How do I start the process?
- Enroll at COCC
- Take the placement test OR provide other college transcripts
- Contact the program director for advising with your placement scores and discuss enrollment in LMT classes
What classes do I have to take?
- You must take all of the classes in each block each term* (see the Massage Therapy list of block classes)
- MTH 20 OR MTH 31 Health Care Math will meet the math requirement for the "Certificate of Completion" and "AAS degree"
Can I just take a few classes and see if I like it or not?
- NO, the program is not set up to accommodate this request
- We would suggest you take LMT 101 Intro to a Massage Career to see if a massage career is for you!
- If you have special needs or concerns, please contact the program director at 541-318-3757
Do I need a massage table before I start?
- No, you will not need a table until the second term classes
- All massage equipment is provided in the classrooms including linens and lotions
- Additional massage supplies are available to purchase at the COCC bookstore including massage tables
Do I have to be cleared for registration to take a class in the massage program?
- Yes, you must have completed an advising session and been cleared to register for COCC classes
- It is advisable to meet with the LMT Program director to ensure you are prepared for the LMT program
Is there a uniform requirement for the LMT program?
- Black polo shirts with the COCC logo are required for all clinic courses starting in the third term
- Holster and lotion bottles are given out in your first term
What happens if I am sick and can't come to class?
- It is your responsibility to contact the instructor or instructors BEFORE class
- Contact hours may be required to be made up to meet Oregon State Massage Board requirements
- Instructor contact information is available on all syllabus
- You may contact both the instructor and the program director about your illness or situation
Where can I eat my food if there is no eating or drinking in the classrooms?
- There is seating in the hallways
- There is food and services available at the Coats Campus Center and some in the bookstore
- Water is the only liquid allowed in the classroom
How do I contact my instructor?
- Check the contact information on the class syllabus
- Check online in the staff directory
- Office hours are posted on the office doors and online under each instructors name
How do I qualify to become a Licensed Massage Therapist in the State of Oregon?
- The Oregon Board of Massage Therapy requires 625 hours of education from an accredited or Department of Education approved school with the following: a minimum of 200 hours of health sciences consisting of Anatomy and Physiology, Pathology, and Kinesiology; a minimum of 300 hours of Massage Theory and Practical Application, Clinical Practice, Business Development, Sanitation, Communication, and Ethics; and the remaining 125 hours may be in any of the above subject areas.
- Applicant must pass the Oregon Jurisprudence exam
- Applicant must pass a Board approved written National Examination. (MBLEX , NCBTMB, CESI).
- Arrest Records
An applicant must state on the application whether he/she has ever been arrested for or convicted of a crime exclusive of minor traffic offenses. Those who have been arrested must provide a copy of the arrest record, a copy of the judgment, a copy of the settlement of the judgment and a statement of explanation. An arrest record and/or conviction may result in denial of licensure.
- Electronic Fingerprints
As of January 1, 2012 all new applicants applying for their initial license, all licensees applying to reinstate a lapsed license or inactive license, and all licensees under investigation are required to submit fingerprint for a criminal background check. Visit www.FieldprintOregon.com.
What is the licensing application process?
- Complete and submit an online registration request and required payment. Go here to complete an APPLICATION REGISTRATION REQUEST. The applicant will receive an email notification with log-in information to complete the online application.
- The Board will review the online submittal, supporting documentation, and fees as outlined in the Application for Licensure.
- The applicant will complete the online Jurisprudence Examination.
- The applicant will then complete the electronic fingerprinting process to initiate their background check.
What supporting documentation is required for licensing?
- Official transcripts in a sealed envelope
- 2” X 2” color photograph (passport-sized) taken within the last 12 months
- A copy of a valid government-issued picture ID (such as, a driver’s license, passport etc.)
- A list of three references that do not reside with you, yet can be relatives
- A copy of a current CPR certification
- Results from a National Written Examination (MBLEX , NCBTMB, CESI).
What are the initial licensing fees?
Application Fee: $100.00
Fingerprint Processing Fee: $41.25
Initial License Fee: $100.00 - 200.00
*Prices as of June 2021 set by the Oregon Board of Massage Thearpy
How do I complete the required electronic fingerprinting for state licensure?
The board requires that all new candidates provide fingerprints for a national criminal background check prior to issuance of a license. Additionally, the state of Oregon requires electronic Fingerprinting, in lieu of fingerprint cards. There is a $41.25 Fingerprint Processing Fee payable to OBMT that will be required before the background check will be initiated. Please see the instructions below to schedule an appointment.
Visit Fieldprint Oregon (YOU WILL NEED TO ENTER THIS FIELDPRINT CODE: FPORMassTherapistsDAS)