Transferring Not-For-Credit and Prior Learning Credentials into COCC's Early Childhood Education (AAS) Program.
COCC's Early Childhood Education program will award prior learning credit for the following early childhood credential:
- Child Development Associate (CDA)
- Oregon Registry Step 7
Credits will be transcribed as Prior Learning Credit and may not count toward the AAS degree unless the student has successfully completed Practicum II (ED 262) and related competencies. Prior Learning Credit will be awarded in lieu of the required program courses. Credits are awarded as follows
Child Development Associate (CDA) or Oregon Registry Step7:
- 4 credits for ED 140: Introduction to Early Childhood Education
- 4 credits for ED 150 : Environments & Curriculum in Early Childhood Education
- 4 credits for ED 151: Observation and Guidance of Young Children's Learning
- 3 credits for ED 261: Practicum I
- Awarded credits based on successful completion of Practicum II and related competencies.
In order to obtain non-traditional credit, students must have taken at least one course at COCC. Students with more than one of the listed prior learning credentials can receive credit for only one. The cost of the credit transcription is $40 per course.
Students or providers with a prior learning credential are strongly encouraged meet with an Early Education advisor before beginning their Early Education coursework. For more information: Contact Amy Howell at firstname.lastname@example.org.