Dental Assisting Registration Instructions
2018/2019 Registration Instructions
Complete your prerequisites (see the Program Description and Requirements Link)
- You must complete or be registered in prerequisites by summer term to register for DA classes in the fall
- You must pass all prerequisite classes by the end of summer term with a “C” or better to maintain your place in the program.
- Transfer students wishing to use classes from other colleges as prerequisites must have these classes articulated prior to registering for the DA classes.
Make an appointment with your advisor:
- Continuing students should check to see that their advisor has cleared them to register. Contact the Admissions and Records Office if you need to be assigned to an advisor.
- New students and students returning after an absence of one year or more will receive placement testing, advising, and registration information after an application for admission is received.
The Dental Assisting program starts once each year in the fall. You register for these classes during spring or summer term, depending on your assigned registration times.
- You must register for all five Dental Assisting classes during your assigned registration time. These classes are:
- DA 110
- DA 115
- DA 125
- DA 134
- DA 145
4. Required Observation Hours
Students must complete a minimum 12 hours of observation in a dental office and must provide verification of this experience by 3:30pm September 14, 2018. Students who do not fulfill this requirement by the deadline will be dropped from the program.
5. Immunizations, Background Check, Drug Screening and CPR
Registered students (if registered before June 16; if after June 16 please go here for your instruction packet (dental-assisting/immunizations-and-background-check) will receive a welcome letter with immunization, criminal history check, drug screen instructions and codes for VCI access at the end of spring term. The cost for VCI services is $110.
Students should make appointments for needed immunizations and start gathering required documents as soon as they know they are registered in the Dental Assisting Program. Required Documents include:
- Copies of up-to-date immunizations records on Verified Credentials website by the assigned due date.
- Copy of the front and back of a current American Heart Association or American Red Cross BLS for Healthcare Providers CPR card
Students who have not acquired the correct CPR card, initiated the urine drug screen, completed the criminal history check and uploaded their immunizations documents, by the specified due date, will be administratively withdrawn from the program. It is your responsibility to watch the Dental Assisting Program Web Site during the months of August and September to check for updated requirements.
It can take time to complete immunizations. Putting off these tasks until the last minute may jeopardize your spot in the program. Oregon Health Authority [OHA] mandates current immunizations, American Heart Association or American Red Cross BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR card; a urine drug screen and a criminal history as a condition of clinical attendance for all health careers students who have direct patient contact during their program practicum [see OHA Student Information Sheet].
* Please see the Immunizations, CPR, Drug Screen and Background Check radio button for complete CPR, Drug Screen and Background and Immunizations requirements and policies.
6. Mandatory Orientation
There will be a mandatory orientation on Tuesday, September 18 at 6:00 pm in HCC 260.
7. First Week of Class
Remember, you have to show up for all classes and your assigned lab during the first week to keep your spot in the program. Therefore, it is important that you know the time and location of all classes.