Small Group Communication
- Students will explain the transactional model of communication and describe how messages
may be sent and received at both conscious and unconscious levels.
- Students will describe the behaviors and attitudes used by the competent communicator
who adapts appropriately to contexts, other people, and the communicator's goals.
- Students will explain and analyze the differences between a "me" orientation and a
"we" orientation to problem solving.
- Students will explain and analyze the systemic nature of teams.
- Students will recognize the cyclical nature of team development, create appropriately
negotiated norms for group maintenance and performance enhancement and adapt to the
tensions of the storming stage.
- Students will recognize and describe roles necessary for task performance and team
maintenance, including the role of leader.
- Students will recognize and demonstrate the behaviors which produce a positive team
- Students will recognize and analyze their own power resources and those of other team
- Students will perform appropriate research tasks in the small group setting.
- Students will analyze and report on the communication skills needed for managing conflict and tension in the small group setting.