New Aviation Student Checklist

This page covers the following topics:

College Application | Estimating Costs | Plan for College Success | Advisor Contact & permission to register
FAA Medical/Student Pilot Certificate and Security | Registration | Student Details | Aircraft Insurance

Apply for admission to COCC
A student interested in registering for COCC credit courses, certificates or degrees will begin by completion of the on-line application will expedite your admission process; however, paper applications are also available.

  • Start by visiting the Getting Started at COCC webpage to learn the process, programs offered and requirements.
  • Apply by completing the Online Application.
    Pay $25 admission application fee - be ready with your credit card
  • Once you apply for admission you will be assigned a student ID number.

Determine how you will pay for college
Certain classes will have flight training and simulator fees attached that are quite expensive.The program qualifies for federal financial aid and the GI Bill®. Flight fees charged by the college are generally based on the minimums required for each certificate/rating. Students who require additional flight, ground, or simulator training may incur costs that exceed the fees charged by the college. The student would be responsible for those additional fees directly with the flight provider.  

  • Check the Aviation Financial Aid web page and COCC Financial Aid web page
  • Fill out FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on-line at
  • Check out scholarships and Foundation Scholarships
  • Contact 541.383.7410 for additional Financial Aid assistance.
  • Apply for VA GI Bill® benefits. Our COCC New GI Bill® website will give you a starting point. Chapter 33 "New GI Bill®" benefits will cover the cost of tuition, flight and simulator fees, $1000 per year for books, and a stipend equivalent to an E-5 with dependents. The COCC VA Coordinator can be reached at 541.383.7264
  • Alternative loans may be available to cover flight fees beyond the federal financial aid. For information on alternative loans, contact 541.383.7245

Develop a plan for college success .

  • Organize your life to have time to learn
  • Build a degree plan with your advisor
  • Tour the COCC Campus and learn where your classes will be located.
  • Learn technology used at COCC.
  • Learn how to get involved on campus - activities, jobs and clubs.
    • Join the Aviation Club to meet new friends and to join in some great activities of special interest to aviation students.

Meet with a Program Advisor
All first time degree-seeking students are required to talk with an advisor so they can be cleared to register for classes.

  • If you are aviation major, you should talk to Karl Baldessari 541.318.3702 or Lisa Shipman 541.318-3736 before committing to the program so you learn the program specific requirements.
  • This is an expensive major so you must be prepared for the cost of flight training in addition to the normal tuition and fees.

FAA Medical Certificate
Students are required to get an FAA medical certificate before starting the aviation program. Go to the Medical link on the left menu bar for more information.

Student Pilot's Certificate
You must complete an application through the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) website or by paper using FAA form 8710-1 and submit it to a Flight Standards District Office (FSDO), an FAA-designated pilot examiner, an airman certification representative associated with a part 141 flight school, or a certificated flight instructor. The authorized individual will process your application and submit the required documents to the Airmen Certification Branch. Once, reviewed by Airman Certification Branch, the student pilot certificate will be mailed to the address provided by you on the application.

TSA Security Requirement
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires us to verify a student's citizenship status. See the National Aviation Security link on the left menu bar for more information.

Follow up on your paperwork
It is your responsibility to ensure that your file is complete in order to be fully admitted and ready to begin classes.

Do you need non-owned insurance to use aircraft? You could be personally liable for damages to non-owned (rented or borrowed) aircraft.

FBOs have coverage to cover their own loss from damage to an aircraft. If you cause the damage, you may be liable for their deductible and, in some cases, the insurance company may expect you to pay for their loss. Some FBO policies have provisions which will cover students and renters for liability coverage and provide a waiver of subrogation, but without seeing a copy of the policy you will never know what rights you have (if any) under the FBO's policy. You are much better off having your own coverage.

Research coverage available to you if you rent or borrow a non-owned aircraft. One site that can help with that research is AOPA 1.800.622.AOPA

Note: COCC does not endorse AOPA Insurance Agency or any of their products. This is provided for informational purposes only.