Aviation FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Aviation plane check picBelow are some common questions we are asked along with some answers. If you have questions not listed below, please contact us.

Can I use my Veterans Benefits in the Program?
Yes, our degree program is fully qualified for use of your veterans benefits.

Can I use my New GI Bill (Chapter 33) Benefits in the Program?
Yes, our degree and flight program is fully qualified for the Chapter 33 GI Bill benefits. The college will be paid by the VA for the cost of Tuition and Fees, including Flight Fees, and the college will then pay the flight provider for the flight time. The student will receive $1,000 per year for books and materials, and will receive a housing allowance equivalent to an E-5 with dependents. See the VA website or contact VetsEd@cocc.edu, 541-383-7264, for more information.

Can I chose fly either the airplane or the helicopter?
Yes, our students have a choice of training in an airplane or a helicopter. Both programs are designed for a student to earn an associate degree and flight instructor ratings in their choice of aircraft.

Other than Financial Aid, are there any other sources of financing?
For Alternative educational loans: You will find links to private lending institutions that offer loans to students who are enrolled in the aviation program and need more money than is available through normal financial aid. Contact the COCC Financial Aid Office at 541-383-7260 for financial aid counseling and if you have questions about alternative educational loans. Financial-Aid

Is a Flight Career for Me?

That is the most important question and only you can answer it. Is a flight career your dream? Aviation is a demanding, exciting field that will require your complete commitment. You must be in good physical health and able to pass a Second Class FAA flight physical. You must be able to communicate and work well with others in a team environment. Youll be required to demonstrate good judgment as pilot-in-command of your aircraft on every flight you take. In order to enter professional aviation, you must have the determination and work ethic required to complete a bachelors degree.

What Does the Program Offer?
Our program is a demanding college degree program designed to prepare you to enter the aviation industry or to continue your education to complete a bachelors degree at a college or university. Our courses and flight training offer an education that is above and beyond the minimum FAA requirements for pilot certification. Our instructors bring years of military, airline and commercial aviation experience to their flight and classroom instruction. Youll receive your flight certificates and ratings from Private Pilot through Certified Flight Instructor with either Airplane or Helicopter ratings (or both), plus your Associate of Applied Science transfer degree.

Will My Credits Transfer into a Bachelor's Degree Program?
Yes. We have an outstanding transfer agreement with Oregon Institute of Technology, through whom you can earn a B.S. in Operations Management using your credits from our program to fill over half of the degree requirements. Your degree will also allow you to transfer directly to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University or another college of your choice.

What if I already have a bachelors degree? Or another associate degree?
We have several students in the program who have already earned a bachelors degree. Those students will send a transcript of their previous college credits and those will usually fill the general education requirements for either the A.S. or the A.A.S. degree, leaving only the aviation courses as required to earn the associate degree. COCC requires a minimum of 24 credit hours to be completed at COCC in order to earn an associate degree, and a minimum of 24 credit hours in a major field are required for an A.S. degree.

Will I still have to spend two years in the program if I already have a bachelors degree or another associate degree?
Since the number of credit hours that can be transferred from another institution of higher learning will usually fill the general education requirements, the overall time in the program will depend upon how long it takes to complete the flight training. Experience has shown that most students will need between 12 and 18 months to complete all of the flight ratings.

Can I Learn to Fly or Get a Rating Without Entering the Program?
Yes, any member of the community may take any course we offer without entering our degree program. You can learn to fly, earn a new certificate or rating, or take our Aviation classes without being a program student.

What is the Future of Commercial Aviation?
Commercial Aviation is a growth industry, and is predicted to continue growing strongly through this century. Industry analysts predict that there could be a shortage of pilots trained and ready to meet the demands of aviation industry. In particular, corporate and business aviation have increased dramatically in the last several years since the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Its become increasingly common for businesses to lease a portion of a corporate jet and employ their own pilots. General aviation business is also predicted to remain strong into the future.

Do I have to be an Aviation program student to take aviation classes?
No. Most of these classes are open to the public or to students from other departments. If you just want to learn to fly, then you can take just the Private Pilot course. If you already have your Private Pilot certificate and want to add an Instrument rating, you can take the Instrument course. If you have some of your ratings and would like to enter the program with advance standing, talk to us about challenging the courses in which you have already demonstrated your knowledge.

If you have another major and would like to know more about one of our subjects (Meteorology, for instance) you may enroll in that course. Consult your advisor to see if you can apply the course to your program.