Academic Procedures

Revised:  12/1/00; 10/30/12

Academic warning is a procedure the College uses to notify certificate or degree-seeking students that the quality of the work they have accomplished is below the minimum level expected.  The Academic Warning is designed to alert the College to offer assistance to students.

Students are considered to be in good academic standing if they earn a 2.0 GPA or higher each term.  Students who do not meet this requirement receive an academic warning.  All students on academic warning will be sent an email to their COCC email address specific to their situation the day after grades are processed.  Note that once on academic warning, the student cannot change to non-degree status until they reach good academic standing again. 

Please see the Catalog for further detail. 

Revised:  12/1/00; 10/30/12

HOW TO:    The term "registration" refers to initial registration in one or more classes for a given term.  Students may "add" classes to their initial registration, or "drop" classes, or change the credit/audit status at different points during the term depending on the length of the class by submitting an "add/drop" form directly to Enrollment Services.  If the instructor has put online approval for the "add/drop", students must visit or call Enrollment Services to complete the registration activity.  

DEADLINES:   All registration activity (add/drop/change to or from audit) for full term classes is allowed allowed only through the seventh week for Fall, Winter and Spring.  (The deadline is earlier during Summer.) The deadline for withdrawal with a grade of W is the Wednesday before finals week.  Short-term classes have different deadlines and can be found on COCC's website.

SIGNATURES:   Students need instructor signature on the registration or add/drop form if they are on the waitlist but the instructor is willing to let them in the class; or if they are not on the waitlist and the class is full but the instructor is still willing to let them in; or if it is past the first day of the term.  Instructors should use their usual signature and add the date.  The signature is good for two business days.  The student will be registered in the class only if that signed form is submitted by the student to Enrollment Services.  Instructors may also use the faculty web access to put online approval for the add instead of a physical "signature."  The student must still visit or call Enrollment Services to be added to the class.  The instructor will then see the student's name on subsequent rosters.  If the name is not on the roster, the student is not registered. 


In order to assure that all available seats are filled with students - either registered students or students from the waitlist -- COCC has an attendance policy supported by an administrative withdrawal process.

All instructors should administratively withdraw a student from full term classes if the student does not attend 100% of class meetings and associated labs during the first week of each term.  Additionally, all instructors should administratively withdraw a student from short-term classes (those which do not span the entire term) if the student does not attend the first class session.  The Administrative Withdrawal policy does not relieve students from full responsibility for officially dropping a course within the given deadline to not incur tuition charges and to not receive a grade for the course.

For details, see the Catalog. 

Revised:  12/1/00; 10/30/12

NEW STUDENTS - To qualify for admission, students must be 18 years of age or older, or possess a high school diploma or GED.  Applications are available on the College website, in the Boyle Education Center building and at the Redmond Campus.  Note:  All new students (those who have never taken credit courses at COCC) are required to submit a $25 non-refundable application fee at the time of application.  Applications will not be processed without the fee.

Students returning after an absence  -  Students who have attended COCC but have been absent for four quarters or more, must submit a new application as early as possible in order to receive timely registration information.  No application fee is required.

Transfer students  -  Students transferring from another college or university must submit an application for admission and a $25 application fee.  In addition, all official transcripts from previous institutions must be submitted prior to advising and/or registration.

Students not seeking a certificate or degree  -  Many students take college credit courses at COCC, yet are not planning to earn a certificate or degree.  Such students apply through the regular application process and are required to take the placement test prior to registration.  Some students may be exempt from the placement test; see the College website for exemption criteria.  Non-certificate/non-degree-seeking students are not required to participate in advising but are welcome to do so.


In keeping with the philosophy that college-level knowledge can be validated and documented in various ways, Central Oregon Community College recognizes many educational experiences for credit.  A guiding principle of our transfer credit practices is that acceptable transfer credit is applied in the same manner as is COCC credit.   See the catalog for more information.

Revised:  12/1/00; 10/30/12

Academic Advising at COCC is provided both the CAP Center (Career Services, Academic Advising, and Personal Counseling) and by faculty members in each department.  The purpose of academic advising is to guide students toward achieving their educational goals and to help students become self-reliant in understanding College policies and practices.  Various advising requirements are in place to support this purpose.

Prior to registering for classes, new certificate-and-degree seeking (CDS) students and students who have not attended for more than a year, participate in small-group advising sessions.  After the first advising session, students are assigned an advisor in their declared major and emailed the advisor's contact information.  Students are required to meet with their advisor to develop long-range academic and career plans before the next term's registration.  All CDS students are required to meet with an advisor prior to registration if they participated in a group advising session the previous term, or as determined by the advisor and at least once a year.

COCC provides an online tool, GradTracks, to help students and their academic advisor track progress toward graduation.  GradTracks allows students to see how completed courses are applied toward their certificate and degree options.  Students can access GradTracks by logging on to their Bobcat Web Account and selecting the Student Services & Financial Aid Tab; clicking on the GradTracks link and again on the GradTracks button.  Students must be taking credit classes in order to view information in GradTracks.

Students are responsible for monitoring their advising requirement and for completing the advising steps in a timely manner.  COCC recommends that students plan their advising appointments well in advance of the opening of registration.  Students who want to find their assigned advisor's name and contact information and see if they have an advising requirement for an upcoming term, should look in their student Bobcat Web Account.  To do so, go to and select "Student Login."  After logging in, select "Student Services and Financial Aid," then "Registration," and then the "Can I Register for Credit Classes?" page.  Students may request a specific advisor or a change in advisors if their Major changes.  Students not seeking a certificate or degree are not required to meet with an advisor, but are welcome to meet with a CAP Center advisor.  Contact the CAP Center, Barber Library lower level, Ph. 541-383-7200, for advising options.

Revised:  12/1/00

Departments and faculty are encouraged to develop contacts with their colleagues in high schools and in other colleges and universities. 

High School Articulation:  When it is appropriate to make a formal agreement about expectations for readiness to enter our programs, or to state procedures for reviewing exceptional high school students for advanced standing or course waivers, the College's articulation procedures must be followed, as outlined in "Articulation with High Schools:  Memo of Understanding."  Contact Records for a copy.  Students who participate in any of COCC's high school articulation courses should work directly with COCC's program advisor(s) in the appropriate area as well as with Admissions.

 Inter-College Articulation:  When faculty obtain agreement with other colleges and universities about the transferability of our courses, a copy of that agreement should be forwarded to Records. 

Revised:  12/1/00; 5-17-11; 10-30-12

Commencement exercises are held each year, usually on the last Saturday of  Spring Term.  All students who have met requirements for a two-year Associate Degree or a one-year Certificate of Completion are eligible to participate if they have earned or will earn that certificate or degree in the past Fall, Winter or Spring, or the coming Summer.  (Only candidates for Summer graduation who demonstrate a realistic plan to complete all requirements by the end of Summer term are eligible.)

 It is the student's responsibility to submit an Application for Certificate/Degree to the Enrollment Services Office within two terms of completing all program requirements.

 Honors and awards are presented at Commencement.  Students with a 3.6 or higher with at least 36 graded COCC credits are presented with honor cords.  Students with a perfect 4.0 at COCC will have an asterisk by their name in the commencement program. 

A-10-0CONCERNS PROCEDURE         Revised: 10-30-12

 The College expects that most issues will be resolved informally by way of discussion between the student and the appropriate staff member.

For certain complaints or concerns, the College has established specific procedures to be followed.  For example, complaints regarding grades are subject to the limitations and requirements of the Grade Appeal Procedure; complaints regarding harassment are subject to the harassment policy.  Students will be expected to initiate their concerns or express their concern in accordance with those specific policies.  In any other cases, students may have recourse to the Student Concerns Procedure.


  1. The student will bring the issue to the appropriate staff members (for example, the instructor and/or department chair or the Director of Student Life) in an effort to resolve the issue informally. 

  2.  If no resolution is reached, the student will present the concern in writing to the appropriate Vice President or Dean (any College administrator can be contacted for referral to the appropriate Vice President or Dean*).

          Form for written concern:  The student shall make clear

  •  the act, omission, or matter which is the subject of the concern

  •  all facts the student believes are relevant to the concern

  •  steps previously taken to resolve the matter informally

  •  the resolution sought

  •  all arguments in support of the desired solution.

Note that the burden of proof at this point in the procedure is on the student, so the written statement of the concern should be prepared carefully and with full and relevant detail and documentation.  A student who wishes assistance with preparation of a concern may contact the Director of Student Life, who will provide such assistance on request.

  1. The Vice President* may

    1) dismiss the concern as having no grounds for further review, or

    2) initiate an investigation.  A concern may be dismissed (either prior to or following an investigation) if the Vice President* concludes the concern is:

  • Untimely

  • Based upon a non-grievable matter

  • Being concurrently reviewed in another forum

  • Previously decided pursuant to this review procedure

  • Frivolous or filed in bad faith.

4.  All parties to the concern will be given a copy of the written concern and asked to respond in writing. 

5.  The investigation will normally be concluded within two weeks.  The Vice President* will provide all parties to the concern a written report of the results of the investigation and may provide a recommendation for resolution (or dismissal of the concern).

6.  If the Vice President's* recommended resolution is rejected by the complainant, or if no solution is recommended, the Vice President will refer the matter to the Student Concerns Committee.

7.  Complaint Review Committee:  Please see Section VII, Complaint Review Committee.  Both the introductory paragraph and item 2 apply.

8.  The Committee will provide all parties with advance notice of hearing dates, times, and places.  The hearing will normally be convened within one week of the referral to Committee.

9.  All parties to the concern shall be entitled to present witnesses, proffer documentary evidence, and question opposing witnesses.  All parties are invited to present an oral summation to the Committee.

10.  The Committee shall meet to review the concern and come to its conclusion in private.  The Committee's decision shall be presented in writing, within one week of the hearing, to all affected parties.

11.  Appeals

  • Appeals may be made in writing to the President
  • Such Appeals must be made within ten (10) business days of the Committee's finding
  • Appeals may only be made for the following reasons:
    • The party was not given notice of the proceeding; or
    • New evidence that would significantly alter the outcome of the proceeding that was not available at the time of the hearing is now available. (Note: Witnesses who were available at the time of the hearing but were not called, do not constitute "new evidence.")
    • The decision of the President shall be made within ten (10) business days of the appeal and will be the final decision of the College.

* All references to "Vice President" refer to appropriate Vice President or Dean

A-11-0COURSE CHALLENGE          Revised:  10-30-13

Students who feel they have knowledge and experience similar to a particular course and who cannot gain credit by one of the methods listed under Advanced Standing (see below) may challenge a course and receive credit for that course.  However, in some cases, students may wish to discuss course requirement waivers with program faculty.  There is no limit on the number of credits which may be earned by challenge with the following exceptions:

  • Students cannot challenge courses at a lower level than ones in which they have already demonstrated competency, nor at a lower level than ones in which the students have already registered.
  • Students may not challenge courses which they have already taken.
  • Students may not challenge courses in which experiencing the course itself is essential.
  • Challenged courses do not apply toward meeting residency requirements for a degree.
  • Challenged courses do not count in determining financial aid eligibility.

In order to assess whether or not the student has a reasonable chance of successfully challenging a course, a student must receive permission from a faculty member in the subject area and the department chair, prior to challenging a course.  If approved, the student and department, complete the "Challenge Petition" form.  This must be completed by the end of the sixth week of the term.  The challenge paper or final must be completed prior to the end of the term.

Challenged courses are charged the regular tuition rate payable at the time the completed petition is processed in Enrollment Services - Admissions and Records.  It is the student's responsibility to schedule challenge examinations with the instructor.  The exam may be rescheduled, only at the instructor's discretion, in extraordinary circumstances.  A grade of Pass or No Pass is assigned, where a Pass is earned for performance equivalent to a grade of "B-" or better.  Students may not re-challenge a course if they do not pass the first attempt.  

Revised:  12/1/00; 10/30/12

Note:  Most references to deadlines are based on an expectation of a full-term course, offered during Fall, Winter, or Spring.  Courses that do not span the full term, and Summer courses, may use proportional deadlines.

Registration deadlines:

Beginning the first day of the term, an instructor signature is required to register in, or add, any class.

Beginning the eleventh day (or third week) of the term, a $30 late registration fee is assessed for any registration or add.

The deadline for dropping a full-term class without penalty (i.e., the class will not show on the transcript) is the end of the seventh week of the term.

For full-term classes, the deadline for adding a class, changing from audit to credit or vice versa, or any other change to registration, is the end of the seventh week of the term.

The deadline for withdrawing from a full-term class and receiving a "W" is the Wednesday before finals week.

Payment deadlines:

Tuition and fees payment for all classes is due by the end of business on the second Friday of the term.  Students will be assessed a $30 late payment fee each week after that the balance remains unpaid, to a maximum of $90.


For courses that are full-term in length:  A 100% refund of tuition and fees is available until the end of business (5pm for Fall, Winter and Spring; 1pm for Summer).  No portion of the tuition and fees is refundable after the end of this period.

For Short-term Credit Classes which meet only one, two or three times in the term:  A drop must be submitted at least seven days before the class begins in order to be eligible for a 100% refund; the drop must be submitted on a Monday-Friday, excluding holidays. Otherwise, there is no refund.

For Short-term Credit Classes which meet four or more times in the term:  A drop must be submitted before the beginning of the second class in order to be eligible for a 100% refund. 

To qualify for the refund the student must assure that a drop is processed either by visiting or calling Enrollment Services by the deadline.  Any debt owed the College will be processed against a refund first, and then the net balance, if any, will be remitted.

Administrative Withdrawal:

Administrative withdrawal (AW) deadlines are described in a separate section.  For full-term classes, administrative withdrawal operates only during the first week of the term.  For short-term classes, it is effective only for the first class meeting.  It is critical to note that instructors are instrumental in the success of this system by completing and returning their rosters within these timelines.

Mid-terms:   Revised: 10/30/12

Midway through each term, instructors have the option to file grades of "D" and "F" or "NP" for those students whose performance indicates it, including those who are not regularly attending class.  It is entirely the instructor's discretion to submit or not submit a midterm grade report.  If an instructor submits a midterm grade, the student will be sent an email at his/her college email address.  Students must take responsibility for withdrawing if they do not wish to continue in a class.

Final Exams/Grades:    Revised: 10/30/12

End-of-term grades are available via the student's Bobcat Web Account by the Thursday following the term only and will not be mailed or given out ove the phone.

Incomplete Grade:         Revised:  10/30/12

An incomplete (I) grade is assigned when  a student successfully completes approximately 75 percent of course requirements, but for reasons acceptable to the instructor, the student is unable to complete remaining requirements during the given term.  An "I" grade is not a substitution for a failing grade, but indicates that there is a reasonable expectation that the student will pass the course.  An Incomplete (I) grade will not count toward academic warning.

Students may request an Incomplete (I) grade by contacting the instructor prior to the end of the term.  Students must complete the remaining requirements within one quarter after the end of the original course (summer term excluded) unless the instructor designates a laater completion date.  Instructors will submit a grade change to the Admissions and Records office within one week of the student completing the course requirements; if no grade is submitted, it is assumed the student did not complete the requirements and the "I" grade will convert to an "F."  (Note that if the student has earned a different grade without completion of these requirements, the instructor has the option to submit that letter grade instead.)

Course Challenge:

The challenge petition must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office before the end of the sixth week of the term. 

A-13-0DEGREES / CERTIFICATES (Requirements)
Revised:  12/1/00; 10/30/12

Degree / Certificate Completion

Unless otherwise specified, the degrees are intended to be offered for completion within the next two years.  Unusual budget constraints or other changes in resources might necessitate discontinuing particular courses, programs or degrees.  As far as resources allow, the College makes every effort to enable students to complete their degree programs in a timely manner.  Students should work closely with advisors to obtain accurate information about their progress toward degrees and certificates.  Students planning to transfer to another college are responsible for receiving and evaluating information from the destination institution.

A certificate or degree is awarded when it meets the appropriate course requirements listed in the catalog and the student has met the following guidelines:

Complete the minimum number of credits required for the degree

Earn a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade-point average at COCC

Owe no debt to the College

Complete at least 24 degree-applicable residency credits for an associate's degree; 18 certificate-applicable residency credits for a certificate

Meet at least one of the following criteria:

1.  Students have three years to complete their program under the catalog in which they began or any subsequent catalog.  The student's choice of catalog years is based upon the student's attendance and the most recent year that the student applied to COCC:

  a.  The student's default catalog year is the year the student is admitted to COCC and the student may graduate under that default caatalog year or either of the next two catalog year.

  b.  If the student has a break in enrollment of more than four consecutive terms, the student must reapply to COCC and the default catalog year will now be the year the student is re-admitted.

  c.  The student's choice of catalog years is limited to two catalog years prior to the student's year of graduation.  If the student does not graduate within three catalog years of student's admittance, the default catalog year will be updated yearly to the subsequent catalog year.

2.  The student transfers back to COCC, other college credits within the term immediately following the last term attended at COCC, excluding summer, and meets degree requirements listed in the current college catalog or the previous two catalogs.

3.  The student left COCC prior to completing degree requirements but through subsequent transfer credit meets degree requirements currently in effect at the time of final degree evaluation and award.

When a student's completion of degree requirements coincides with the last term attended, the degree will be posted in that term.  When the student uses transfer credit after an absence from the College, the degree will be posted in the term in which the degree evaluation is successfully completed, and when it has been determined that all degree requirements have been met. 

Career and Technical Education Certificates of Completion

  • Provide hands-on training in a variety of technical areas, with the goal of giving students the skills needed for various technical jobs (examples include dental assisting, drafting and medical transcription).  Many certificates of completion allow students to stop at a variety of points, gain employment in the field and return at a later date for more advanced training.
  • Range from one to six terms, noting that many of the allied health technical courses start fall or winter terms only (general education coursework can be done prior to, during or after completing technical courses).
  • Require a minimum of 18 certificate-applicable COCC credits.

Some certificate requirements include limited general education coursework (including coursework in computation, human relations and communication).  General Education courses must be completed at a "C" grade or higher.  See individual program pages in the catalog for a list of courses and requirements.

MULTIPLE OR CONCURRENT DEGREES:       Revised:  10/30/12                                                                                                                                                              Students applying for multiple or concurrent degrees must meet the degree requirements outlined above and as listed for each degree in the catalog.  For each additional degree, students must complete at least 15 COCC credits that are different than those used for the other degree(s) and are applicable to the additional degree requested.

POSTING DEGREES:  When a student's completion of degree requirements coincides with the last term attended, the degree will be posted in that term.  When the student uses transfer credit after an absence from the College, the degree will be posted in the term in which the degree evaluation is successfully completed and it has been determined that all degree requirements have been met. 

A-14-0   SERVICES FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES              Revised:  10/30/12

The Services for Students With Disabilities office, endeavors to ensure equal access to all students with qualifying, documented disabilities at all COCC campuses and Community Learning Centers, as defined by federal legislation.  Awareness of students' needs and goals helps to create an atmosphere in which learning and growth can occur.  We encourage referral of students by staff an faculty to the SSD office for consultation and determination of eligibility.

A-15-0ENROLLMENT STATUS        Revised:  12/1/00; 10/30/12

FULL-TIME  -           A student is "full-time" when registered for a minimum of 12 credits per term;                                                                                                                          HALF-TIME  -           Enrollment is designated as 6-8 credits;                                                                                                                                                                                 THREE-QUARTER TIME  -  9-11 credits;                                                                                                                                                                                        MATRICULATED  -  A student is matriculated toward a certificate or degree if that student has earned a high school diploma or earned a GED;                                REGISTERED  -      Only registered students, as seen on the section roster, should receive instruction or occupy a seat in class.  Refer unregistered students to Enrollment                                    Services;                                                                                                                                                                                                                 CERTIFICATE AND DEGREE-SEEKING (CDS)  -  Students who indicate they intend to earn a one-year certificate, a two-year degree, or a four-year degree are considered CDS, and are eligible for consideration for financial aid.  In some cases, they must follow special advising processes.

A-16-0ENROLLMENT VERIFICATION       Revised:  10/30/1

Students are sometimes required to provide enrollment verifications to health insurers or other companies that require proof of enrollment.  Enrollment verifications at COCC are provided online through the National Student Clearinghouse.  There is no charge for this service when students access this service through their Bobcat Web Account.

Revised:  06/28/04

COCC follows the guidelines of the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, and OAR 589-004-0100.  Students will be notified of their FERPA rights annually by publication in the College Catalog. A full description of the policy is available through Admissions and Records, but the salient points for staff and faculty are these:

  1. If requested an on individual basis, staff may release the following information on a student:  student's full name, dates of attendance (term only; does not include attendance on specific days), major field of study, class standing, degrees and awards received, mailing address, email address, telephone number, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and most recent previous school attended.

  2. Staff CANNOT release the following information ("release" includes posting this information in a public site - albeit in print or electronically, leave homework outside of office doors for pick up, in class or other contexts):  Social Security Number, date of birth, gender, GPA, grades, cumulative credit hours, current term credits, current or previous term class schedule, copies of transcripts from other institutions, academic standing or eligibility to return to COCC, whether or not student has applied for graduation, accounts receivable balance, financial records of students or parents, student employment records, medical or mental health records, or campus network, email, Student Online Services or other campus issued ID's or passwords.

  3. Keep lists of students and sensitive information such as grades and Social Security Numbers in a private location.

  4. Do not discuss student situations outside of the classroom unless it is with a colleague of the College who has an educational need to know.

  5. Personal notes regarding student progress and achievement are considered personal property, and not part of the College records, as long as they are treated as personal memory aids and not used in a public way or shared with another person.

All requests for student information should be referred to the Admissions and Records Office.  

A-18-0FIELD TRIPS              Revised:  10/30/12

Instructors taking students off campus for a field trip experience are responsible for following the college policy.  Any COCC student who wishes to participate in a college sponsored field trip may do so if they:

  1. are registered in the class conducting the field trip and
  2. have completed Part A of the Consent and Liability form  and submitted the signed form to their instructor. This form is available through the instructor or on the college Risk Management website.

Forms are not required for classes that are scheduled to meet in an off campus location such as HHP activities classes, nursing clinicals or cooperative work experience placements.

Minor students who are under the age of 18 may participate in College sponsored field trips if they are registered in the class conducting the field trip.  These students must have their parent or legal guardian sign the Consent and Liability waiver form and complete Part B of the form with additional parental contact information.  The instructor must keep these forms with him/her during the field trip and should keep them on file until the end of the course.  If any problems arise during the trip, the instructor should contact the Department Chair and the college Risk Manager for further instructions.

If college vehicles are used for transportation, drivers must fill out the "Approval to Drive College Vehicles" on the COCC employee website and submit it to Campus Services.

The current liability waiver form is located on the Risk Management web site and deals with liability waiver and consent to treat.  All students should fill out Part A.  Minor students require parental signature and must also fill out Part B.  If students are driving a college vehicle, an additional form is required.  The following process must be followed for college field trips:

  1. All students must sign a  Field Trip Waiver Form available on the Risk Management web under forms.
  1. Students under age 18 must have their parent or guardian complete part B of the above form.
  1. If students are driving a college vehicle, they must submit the Approval to Drive College Vehicles form to Campus Services.                                                                

Revised:  12/1/00; 10/30/12

A final examination schedule is prepared by the Office of Instructional Deans, approved by the Vice President for Instruction, and published online.

All classes at Central Oregon Community College include some kind of graded or evaluated activity during the period set aside and scheduled for final examinations.  If the activity is a final examination, it should usually be comprehensive -- i.e., it should cover the work of the whole quarter.  Final examinations should not exceed the allotted time and the total time expected to be spent on take-home finals should not exceed the time taken on in-class finals including preparation and examination.  Take home finals should be due at the end of the scheduled final examination hour.

On an individual basis, for emergencies and other special circumstances, a student may take a final examination at a time other than that scheduled, providing the student has received prior approval by petition signed by the instructor and the department chair.  Approved petitions are returned to instructors, with copies sent to the Vice President for Instruction.

Classes without final examinations must be approved by the Academic Affairs Curriculum Subcommittee.  This is a one-time approval for an alternative evaluated activity and does not need to be reviewed each time the activity changes.

An instructor who seeks to reschedule an examination must have prior written approval from the Vice-President for Instruction.

Final grade rosters are due in the Admissions and Records Office by 5:00 p.m. on the Tuesday following the end of the term. 

Revised:  12/1/00; 9/1/06; 10/30/12

Only the grades in the following table may be assigned.  All courses graded with an A-F, P, NP, W, I will apply to percentage of completion.  P, NP, W, X, I, and IP do not apply to GPA.

A      outstanding performance
A-     superior
B+    excellent
B      very good
B-     good
C+    better than satisfactory
C      satisfactory
D      passing   (Note:  Courses in which "D" grades are earned may not be used in the AAOT or to fulfill foundational requirements in other certificate or degree     programs and may have limitations in specific certificate or degree programs.  "D" grades are not considered passing for pre-requisite courses.
F      not passing, counts as a non-completed course
X      Audit
P       Pass; may be awarded only in authorized classes
NP    No Pass; may be awarded only in authorized classes
W     Withdrawn; must be assigned by Records Office
I       Incomplete; continues as an I unless changed by instructor within one calendar year 
IP     Course in Progress


Audit (X).  This symbol is used when a student wishes to enroll in a class, but not take examinations or receive a grade.  The student is expected to fulfill all other course requirements.  An X appears on the transcript; no numerical value is assigned, and X is not figured into the GPA. Tuition is the same as if the student took the class for credit.  Audited courses do not meet graduation requirements.  A student may convert audit status to regular status, and vice versa, through the formal withdrawal period for the class (seventh week of the term for a full-term class.)  Instructor permission is required if the student wishes to change status between the end of the drop period (seventh week) and the date at which a final grade is required (the Wednesday before final exams.)

Incomplete (I).  An Incomplete/I grade is assigned when a student successfully completes approximately 75 percent of course requirements, but for reasons acceptable to the instructor, the student is not able to complete remaining requirements during the given term.  An "I" grade is not a substitution for a failing grade, but indicates that there is a reasonable expectation that the student will pass the course.

Students should request an Incomplete/I grade by contacting the instructor or the instructor may issue an incomplete if they choose to do so.  Students must complete the remaining requirements within one quarter after the end of the original course (summer term excluded) unless the instructor designates a later completion date.  Instructors will submit a grade change to the Admissions & Records Office within one week of the student completing the course requirements; if no grade is submitted, it is assumed the student did not complete the requirements and the "I" grade will convert to an "F".  (Note that if the student has earned a different grade without completion of these requirements, the instructor has the option to submit that letter grade instead).

An incomplete grade will not count towards an academic warning completion rate.

Note:  The Admissions & Records Office will notify instructors approximately two weeks prior to changing the student's grade to an F.  At this point, the instructor has the option of submitting an alternate letter grade based on the student's work completed to date or authorize an extension.  

Pass (P)/No Pass (NP).  The P/NP option is used for certain courses where it is deemed inappropriate to utilize the regular grading system.  All such courses utilizing the P/NP format must first be approved through the normal committee structure of the College.  Such courses set P/NP standards in their original submission for course approval.  Every course completed with a P/NP option will be entered into the student's transcript. 

Withdrawal (W).  A "W" will be assigned by the Admissions and Records Office if a student drops a class between the eighth week of the term and the Wednesday before finals week.  For classes shorter or longer than one quarter, proportional times will be used; contact the Admissions & Records Office for specific details. 

Course in Progress (IP).  When a course has an ending date past the regular term's grading period, the Records Office will assign an IP grade.  IP will stand until the instructor submits a regular grade at the end of a course.

Exceptions and Changes:

The responsibility to award grades at COCC is entirely the instructor's.  A student who disputes the final grade (A-F, P, NP) in a course has these options:

  1. Meet with the instructor to review the grade.

  2. If not satisfied, meet with the department chair, who can further review the grade with the instructor.

  3. If the student believes that the grade reflects discrimination in some form, the student has recourse through the College's Concerns Procedure.

  4. Issues concerning the change of grade to or from I-W-X should go through the petition process that starts in the Admissions and Records office.

Instructors may submit grade changes via the Grade Change Form in order to report grade changes based on a calculation error, or to change an Incomplete to a grade. This may only be done within one year of the original grade being awarded.

Other changes, or any exceptions to the grading policy, should be requested by a student petition submitted to the Registrar.  Requests for grade changes are considered only within one year of the grade being awarded. 

A-20-1Grade Appeal Procedure
Approved:  11/17/99

The following procedures are available only for review of allegedly capricious grading, and not for review of the judgment of an instructor in assessing the quality of a student's work nor for setting the standards of performance for a course.


  1. Capricious grading, as that term is used herein, is limited to one or more of the following:

  1. The assignment of a grade to a particular student on some demonstrable basis other than performance in the course;

  2. The assignment of a grade to a particular student by more exacting or demanding standards than were applied to other students in that section;

  3. The assignment of a grade by a substantial departure from the instructor's announced standards and requirements (normally announced in the course syllabus).

  1. Grade Appeal Committee:  The Grade Appeal Committee will consist of three full-time faculty members, one of whom is also a department chair.  Members will rotate on/off the Committee annually.  The members will be appointed by the COCC Academic Affairs Committee, which will also appoint the chair of the Grade Appeal Committee.  To maintain the confidentiality of the hearing, only the Vice President for Instruction, Committee members, the instructor, and the student may be present at the proceedings.  If a Committee member is unable to serve, perhaps due to involvement in the specific case being heard, the Vice President will appoint a substitute for that particular case. Committee members must be present at all hearings in order to vote following deliberations.


The grade appeal must be initiated within the first three (3) weeks of the quarter immediately following the quarter in which the grade was assigned.  (Exception:  Grade appeals resulting from Spring Term will be initiated within the first three (3) weeks of Fall Term).  Written notice of intent to appeal must be given to the Department Chair by the end of the third week of the quarter, and the formal written appeal must be received by the Vice President for Instruction by the end of the fourth week of the quarter.


The student has the job of writing the formal appeal and the burden of proof in the appeal lies with the student.


  1. After receiving a final grade which the student feels is unwarranted, he/she should consult immediately with the instructor.  Most grading errors are unintentional and can be resolved by clarification with the instructor.

  2. If the concern is not satisfied at this level (or if the instructor is unavailable), the student should meet with the Chair of the Department in which the course is offered.  The Department Chair will consult with both the student and the instructor (either separately or together) in an informal attempt to reach a resolution.  (If the instructor also serves as the Department Chair, the student should consult the Vice President for Instruction at this stage.)

  3. If a resolution has not been reached by the end of the  third week of the quarter, the student should give the Department Chair written notice of intent to file a grade appeal.

  4. By the end of the third week of the quarter (following the one in which the grade was given), or by the end of the fourth week of the quarter if written notice of intent to appeal has been submitted to the Department Chair by the end of the third week, the student who has completed the above steps may file a formal written grade appeal with the Vice President for Instruction.  The formal grade appeal must state in detail the basis for the appeal, the evidence in support of the appeal, and the steps which were taken in an attempt to resolve the matter.  Supporting documents (such as course syllabus or student work, if relevant) may be attached.

  5. If the Vice President for Instruction recommends further review of the Appeal, he/she will refer the appeal (within two working days of its receipt) to the Grade Appeal Committee.

  6. Within two weeks after receipt of the appeal,  the Grade Appeal Committee will hold a hearing, complete deliberations, and submit a recommendation to the Vice President. Following the conclusion of the hearing, the Committee will deliberate privately and prepare a written recommendation to the Vice President for Instruction.  The recommendation will be either to let the grade stand or to change it. If the recommendation is to change the grade, the recommended grade will be stated.  The recommendation will include a brief summary of the facts of the hearing and the reasons for the Committee's decision. 

  7.  Within two working days following receipt of the Committee's recommendation, the Vice President for Instruction will decide whether to accept or reject the recommendation and will provide a written statement of the decision to the Committee, the Chair, the faculty member, and the student.  The decision of the Vice President for Instruction is final.

A-20-1.1Suggestions to Students Preparing a Grade Appeal
Approved: 11/17/99

An appeal of a grade requires time and effort on the part of several people, especially the student who makes the appeal.  The student has the responsibility for meeting the deadline to initiate the appeal (within  three [3] weeks of the quarter following the quarter in which the grade was given). The student then must write the formal appeal (by the end of the fourth week of that quarter), and the student bears the burden of proof in the appeal.  The following questions should help you determine whether to initiate a formal grade appeal. 

1.      Do you really need to initiate a formal appeal?

Grade errors can happen accidentally, so the first step is to confer with your instructor to determine whether the grade that appeared on your grade report is actually the grade your instructor intended for you to receive.  If the error is identified at this point, your instructor will file a Grade Change Form with the Records office to correct the error, and no further action is needed.

2.      Do you have solid grounds for an appeal?

You may feel that you had poor instruction or that course objectives were unreasonable or that course grades were generally low.  Such problems are addressed through other avenues, such as Faculty Evaluation, but they cannot be corrected through the Grade Appeal procedure.  Grade Appeals based on such charges as these will not succeed, and a student who has spent hours preparing an appeal will feel frustrated as a result.

The Grade Appeal procedure is available only for review of allegedly capricious grading (study the definition of "capricious grading" in the Grade Appeal Procedure document). The Procedure is not designed for review of the judgment of an instructor in assessing the quality of a student's work or for setting the standards for a course.  A grade will not be raised because an instructor graded tests very severely, providing the instructor applied the same rigorous standards to all students. Proof that a faculty member has been antagonistic toward you will not be sufficient to raise a grade unless evidence exists that such antagonism did in fact result in your receiving a lower grade than you earned through performance in the course.

These comments are not meant to discourage you from making an appeal.  Rather, they are intended to remind you that the grounds for appeal are limited.

3.      Have you already exhausted other avenues for changing the grade?

The grade appeals procedure requires that you try to resolve the dispute at the lowest possible level.  First, talk to the faculty member. When you do, listen to the faculty member's side of the story and make sure you offer concrete, objective arguments. Second, talk to the Department Chair (by the end of the third week of the quarter), who will listen to your case and perhaps try to arbitrate a solution on an informal basis. 

Third, file a formal written appeal with the Vice President for Instruction, by the end of the  third week (or the end of the fourth week, if written notice of intent to appeal has been submitted to the Department Chair by the end of the third week).

4.      Preparing your written appeal:

Since the burden of proof is on you, you will need to prepare your appeal carefully.  It need not be long. In fact, irrelevant charges and material are likely to confuse the issues and hurt your case.  The following points should help you.

First, state the basis for the appeal; i.e., whether you believe there was a departure from stated requirements in your case, a mechanical error, or inconsistent grading practices. Be explicit. The Grade Appeal Committee must know your grounds for appeal.

Second, state the evidence in support of your appeal. Stick to the facts. Name calling, unsubstantiated reports about other students' experiences, and exaggerated claims will not help your case.

Third, include any physical evidence that you have, such as your personal records,  tests, comparisons of your score and those of other students, and so forth.  Note that the instructor will be asked to supply relevant class records to the Grade Appeals Committee.

Fourth, describe briefly the attempts you have made to resolve the matter, including names, dates and times, and outcomes of meetings you have had with the instructor and the Department Chair.

5.      When it's all over:

There are no "victories" or "defeats" in the grade appeals process.  Its purpose is to arbitrate differences over grades that could not be solved on a personal basis because both parties to the appeal believed they were right.  Based on the evidence at hand, a disinterested committee does its best to render a fair judgment. 


All students are expected to submit work that is their own, and to properly cite the work of others.  Application and registration forms must reflect true and accurate information.  Plagiarism, cheating, forgery and other dishonest acts will not be tolerated and may result in disciplinary action.  For a full statement, refer to the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook. 

Revised:  12/1/00; 10/30/12

Students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours with grades which apply to a GPA and who earn a GPA of 3.6 or higher will have a Dean's List notation on their official transcript for each term that the GPA is earned. The College Dean's List is published each term in a nondiscriminatory (A-Z) manner (no subdivision of college transfer, occupational or developmental).

Honors will be listed on the transcripts of COCC graduates based on the following cumulative GPA from the end of the term prior to the student's graduation:

3.60 - 3.74      Honors
3.75 - 3.89      High Honors
3.90 - 4.00      Highest Honors

Graduates participating in commencement exercises will receive honor cords.  Graduates with a 4.00 will have an asterisk by their name in the annual commencement program.  

Revised:  12/1/00; 10/30/12

In cases of exceptional circumstance, students can request an exception to a published academic policy by submitting the student petition form.  Such policies may include but are not limited to late drop or withdrawal, late add, refund/waiver of tuition/fees after the published deadline, refund/waiver of late payment or late registration fees, changing to or from an audit, and course substitution and/or transfer policies.  Students must submit the form and include documentary evidence to support the request if applicable.  Each case is decided upon its own merits and the decision of the committee is final and not subject to appeal, unless there is information pertinent to the outcome which was not submitted at the time of the initial request.  The student petition form, including instructions on how to complete it, is available in Enrollment Services on all COCC campuses.  Please call 541-383-7500 for more information or have questions about petitions.

The Course Challenge petition is available through Admissions and Records Office.  The student is responsible for acquiring the signatures of the persons involved with the approval process, and in submitting the form with proper signatures to the Admissions and Records Office by the end of the sixth week of class.

The Academic Reinstatement petition following the third Academic Warning is available through the Admissions and Records Office.  The student is responsible for submitting it to the Admissions and Records Office no later than 5 p.m. Monday of the second week of the term, where it is further reviewed by the Academic Reinstatement Committee.

Revised: 12/1/00; 10/30/12

After submitting an application for admission, taking the placement test and meeting with an advisor (if applicable), students may register for courses based on the dates and times listed on the COCC website.  The registration schedule for credit students is based on enrollment status and number of credits earned at COCC.  Degree-seeking students who have attended credit classes at COCC in any of the past four terms are eligible for priority registration.  Transfer credits may meet some program requirements but are not counted toward "earned credits".  Students may view the priority registration schedule at COCC Registration.  Students wishing to pursue a cohort program without a selection process must meet the basic pre-requisite competencies and will be placed in the program according to seat availability on a first-come, first-served basis according to the priority registration schedule.

Student registrations are complete only when courses are web or data-entered into COCC's computer system.  A student may not register if a debt is owed to the College.  Students must be registered in order to attend class.  Students may not take more than 19 credit hours per term without permission from Admissions and Records.

Revised:  9/1/06; 10/30/12

Courses in music or theater performance, studio art, Cooperative Work Experience and HHP activity classes may be repeated for credit.  The grades and credits for such courses will be recorded on the transcript and totaled cumulatively.  In some cases, there may be a limit to the number of total credits allowed from those courses when used toward a certificate or degree.

Students may choose to repeat other courses.  The original course and grade will remain on the transcript, with an "R" indicating it is later repeated.  The original course grade will not be counted in that term's GPA or the cumulative GPA.  A student may repeat a course as many times as s/he wishes; however, only the original/first course's grade will be excluded from the term and cumulative GPA.  Students may repeat a course as many times as they wish; however, only the original/first course's grade will be excluded from the term and cumulative GPA and only the most recent course will be used toward graduation requirements.  There is no limit to the number of courses a student may repeat if students wish to use the grade repeat policy for music or theater performance, studio art, Cooperative Work Experience and HHP activity classes, they must complete a student petition and submit it to the Admissions and Records office; the course repeat policy will automatically happen for all other coursework.  See the COCC website for an illustration of the repeat grade policy.

Note:  This option became available Fall 2006.  A student must be a student under a catalog in which this policy was in place in order to take advantage of the repeat grade policy (e.g., former students cannot request a grade change unless they enroll in the repeated course Fall 2006 or later).

REVISED:  April 9, 2003

Determination of residency for purposes of tuition will be made according to the following definitions.  Applicants to the nursing program must satisfy in-district residency requirements as outlined in the nursing program application packet. 

An individual who owns property, or who has maintained a permanent and continuous residence, in the district for one full year prior to the beginning of the first term of enrollment will be classified as an in-district resident.  The COCC District consists of all of Deschutes, Crook and Jefferson Counties, the northern portion of Klamath and Lake Counties, and the Warm Springs Indian Reservation in Jefferson and Wasco Counties.

Out-of-district (In-state) 
An individual who has maintained a permanent and continuous residence in the state of Oregon but outside of the COCC district during the full year prior to the beginning of the first term of enrollment will be classified as "out of district."  The student's residency will convert to in-district two calendar years after the term in which the student began classes.

An individual who has not maintained a permanent and continuous residence in the state of Oregon during the full year prior to the beginning of the first term of enrollment will be classified as "out of state."  The student's residency will convert to in-district two calendar years after the term in which the student began classes.

Per Oregon Administrative Rules, residents of Washington, California, Nevada and Idaho will be charged in-state (out-of-district) tuition.

Residency of each applicant for college credit classes is determined from information provided at the time of application.  When there appears to be an inconsistency, the College staff may require additional information to verify residency.

In-district or in-state status at COCC does not guarantee in-state status for tuition purposes at any other Oregon college or university. 

A-27-0ROSTERS        Revised:  10/30/12

It is the instructor's responsibility to assure that the students in class match the names on the roster.  Students who are in class, but not on the roster should be referred to the Admissions and Records Office.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  If a student takes the same course twice, whether at COCC or another institution, only one course may be used to satisfy a certificate or degree requirements.  If two or more of the same courses exist, the College will use the following criteria to determine which course applies to needed requirements:

  •  The most recent COCC course with a grade "C" or better. 
  •  If both courses came from other institutions, the transfer course with the best grade will be selected. 
  •  Some degrees and certificates have specific policies on permissible age of transfer courses.  Please refer to the applicable Program Description.                                       

Note: The Transfer Repeat Policy does not alter or replace the COCC Repeat Grade/Grade Forgiveness policy.

Revised: 12/1/00; 10/30/12

Transcripts must be requested by the student via their secure online student account, in person in the Enrollment Services office, or in writing.  The transcript processing fee must be paid before transcripts are mailed.  No transcript requests will be processed during the first week of the term.  For more information and fees, see the COCC website.

Revised:  01/23/04; 10/30/12

Regular tuition rates are set by directive of the Board.  Payment of tuition is due at designated times, as published on the COCC website.  Tuition may be differentially set based on the residence of the student, or for the type of courses.  Fees may be charged for late registration, adds, labs, field trips, transcripts, tests, supplies, etc.

Self-supported unusual classes such as televised courses and out of district, out of state, or out of country field trips may be recommended by the AA Curriculum Subcommittee for offer at the in-district rate, regardless of the student's residence.  See Residency (A-26).

Approved:  03/17/14   Revised: 10/03/14

The intent of COCC general student fees is to partially cover the cost of providing specific materials, activities, and services. General student fees are any fees other than course or program fees and fall into two categories: 

  • Direct Service Fees:  The fee is directed to a specific service or tangible good and fee revenues are returned directly to the department coordinating the service.
  • Indirect Service Fees:  The fee is dedicated to a specific service, but is applied to the College's general fund as a means of covering a portion of the cost.
  • Course and program fees:  The fee is assessed to offset the high costs related to providing required materials, supplies, equipment maintenance and support, equipment/room rental, travel, and licenses/certificate costs for a course(s) in a program and/or department.  Course and program fees also may be assessed for courses or programs that carry extraordinary administrative requirements that result in higher-than-normal expenses.
    Course and program fees assessed to cover high costs related to annual operations should be placed in the General Fund where the expenditures are recorded. Fees to cover special one-time purchases and/or expenditures for items that are expected to last more than one year, should be placed in an Auxiliary account.

As of 2013-14, direct service fees include: student activity fee, green energy fee, and Mazama Gym fee. Indirect service fees include: - technology fee, application fee, transcript fee, late registration fee, late payment fee, and online course fee.

Approved: 03/17/14    Revised: 10/03/14

Student fees may be initiated by any of the following three means:  student elections (see ASCOCC Constitution for details); student referendum (see ASCOCC Constitution for details); or by College employees. Student fees approved via a student election or referendum shall be direct recommendations to the COCC Board of Directors. All other student fees (either new or changes to existing fees) may first be reviewed for input by the COCC College Affairs Committee, as well as other campus committees, task forces, and departments as appropriate to each fee, and as possible. Feedback from these groups shall be presented by the President (or designee), along with a formal proposal, to the COCC Board of Directors.

Course and program fees are determined based on criteria determined by the College; contact the Office of Instruction for details.  Annually, the Chief Financial Officer will establish a benchmark amount to evaluate course and program fees. Fiscal Services will provide an annual report that identifies program fees and the related costs for evaluation. New, or changes to, course and program fees will be evaluated by faculty, Program Directors, Department Chairs and Instructional Deans who will provide recommendations to the Vice President for Instruction.  If approved by the Vice President for Instruction, the appropriate Department Chair, Program Director, Instructional Dean or appointed faculty member will submit the recommended fee changes to the College Affairs Committee for approval. The Vice President for Instruction shall provide the President and Executive Administrators an annual update and present an annual information item to the COCC Board of Directors summarizing all course and program fees.

The COCC Board of Directors has the sole responsibility for increasing or decreasing student fees, including the amount and maximum credit to which the fee shall apply if the Board determines that such modifications are in the best interest of students and COCC. 

A-31-0     WAIT LISTS
Revised: 12/1/00; 10/30/12

Students who are on a "wait list" for a course will automatically be registered into the course if a seat becomes available.  Students will receive a message in their COCC email account notifying them they have been registered for the course and are now responsible for applicable tuition/fees.  Students who are not automatically registered in the course and remain on the waitlist can take a registration form to the first course session.  If a seat is available, the instructor must sign the registration form that the student then submits in person the Enrollment Services within two days.  Alternatively, the instructor can put online approval so the student can add the class via their Bobcat Web Account or call Enrollment Services to process the registration.


In this Section