General Information

Course of Study: Veterans must determine a major course of study and enroll in proper courses outlined in the current COCC catalog.  VA will not pay for any courses already taken in which a passing grade has been received. Veterans will need to work closely with their advisor.  Please inform the Veterans Certifying Official if a change in major occurs.

Benefit Payments: Educational benefit payments are made directly to veterans.  The payment is made for the number of days the veterans is certified for the month. When a veteran is certified for a whole month, the full monthly benefit is paid.  If the veteran is only certified for part of the month, the benefit is prorated.  Please see the rate chart link.  If you paid into a kicker fund, your monthly payment will be higher. 

 Education Programs Monthly Rate Chart

Be sure to notify the VA at 1-888-383-2778 or WAVE of any address or direct deposit changes. If benefit checks are mailed to an old address they will be returned to the VA and may take up to six months to have another one issued.

Student Verification of Enrollment: Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 veterans must verify their enrollment status by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or Interactive Voice Response (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378.  This must be done at the end of each month of enrollment in order to receive benefits.

Advance payment:  Veterans eligible for VA benefits may apply for an advanced payment 30-120 days prior to the first day of the term, providing there has been more than 30 days between attendance.  Processing of the application can take VA four to six weeks after the application is submitted to the Veterans Certifying Official.  The first check includes pay from the first day of the term to the end of that month and the following month of the term and will be received in the Boyle Education Center prior to tuition due date.  However, there is no guarantee.  Thereafter, payments will be made directly to the Veteran for class attendance in the following month.  Next checks would then arrive at the beginning of the fourth month.  Please note:  students using the Post 9/11 benefit are not eligible for advanced payment.

 Apply for Advance Payment

Note: Veterans are responsible for payment of tuition and books. Tuition is always due the second Friday of the term except for summer.

Satisfactory Academic Progress:  Veteran students are considered in good academic standing with the College when they maintain a GPA of 2.0 and a completion rate of 66.67% at the end of each term.

All students are notified at the end of the each term in which they have not made satisfactory progress. Veteran students may continue on probation for only one term.  If a student on probation fails to meet the minimum standards for another term, the unsatisfactory progress will be reported to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and he/she will not be eligible for Veterans Educational Benefits.  Once benefits are canceled, the veteran student may petition the termination by submitting a Veterans Petition to the Veterans Certifying Official outlining the mitigating circumstances.


Complete 12 required credits with a 2.0 grade or better in each class, paying for the courses at their own expense.  Upon completion of the 12 required credits with a 'C' grade or better in each class, students can then submit a Veterans Petition requesting reinstatement of Veterans Benefits.  If all courses apply towards the degree or certificate with the 'C' grade, certification will resume starting the term following the 12 credits. 

 Click here to apply for VA Educational Benefits


In this Section