Gender Inclusive Housing
In COCC's on-going mission to provide student housing that meets the diverse needs and interests of all students, we are proud to offer Gender Inclusive Housing in designated spaces in Wickiup Hall.
Gender Inclusive Housing is intended for students who want to live with others who are committed to gender inclusion and equality and provides students an option where suitemates of any gender can live together in a more integrated environment. Gender Inclusive Housing is available for students who do not wish to live in a suite that aligns with a binary view (male/female) of gender identities or who may not feel comfortable in a traditionally gendered environment. Residents who choose this option will have varied understandings of gender, gender identity and gender expression. Gender Inclusive Housing is also reflective of the housing choices/opportunities available to students off-campus where they can select their roommate of choice.
Examples of students who may be interested in Gender Inclusive Housing include, but are not limited to:
- Students who identify as transgender or gender non-conforming requesting a roommate based on comfort and support rather than biological sex (i.e. friend or ally)
- Allies and all students seeking a mixed gender housing option
Striving to meet the diverse needs of our students, other examples of Gender Inclusive Housing interests may include but are not limited to:
- Student with a disability wishing to room with a student attendant of the opposite sex
- Depressed/anxious student requesting a non-binary gender roommate for support
- Cultural accommodations, such as living with a student relative or guardian
- Siblings, cousins, and childhood friends of varying gender identities (i.e. male/female siblings or twins)
You can indicate your interest in the Gender Inclusive Housing option on the housing application. Learn more about gender inclusive housing. Please call or email the Housing and Residence Life Office at 541.383.7545 or email@example.com if you have any questions; we will be happy to discuss further details.