Alternative Math 95
These accelerated sections combine Math 65 and Math 95 into a single term, in order to prepare students for college-level mathematics (Math 105, Math 111, or Math 211). Instructor approval is required to register for these sections of Math 95 (fill out the form below to request approval).
These special sections are intended for students with previous experience with much of the content of these courses, and self-motivation to learn independently and succeed with fast-paced course work. Each student will be assessed on their prior algebra knowledge to determine the units and topics covered. The course will involve both the use of web-based MyMathLab software, as well as written assignments.
At least one of the following courses:
- High school Geometry with a C or higher within the last year
- High school Algebra 2 or above with a C or higher within the last five years or
Math 65 or above with a C or higher
The ability to do at least half of the following:
- solve systems of two equations algebraically and graphically
- convert between different polynomial forms using operations
- factoring expressions
- simplify expressions containing exponents
- solve quadratic problems both algebraically and graphically
- make predictions and interpret the results for linear and quadratic function models
- translate algebraic linear equations given in various forms, into graphs of lines
- use graphing technology to represent mathematical models and interpret the graphical solution to a problem
Textbook: Lehmann, Elementary and Intermediate Algebra with MyMathLab (ISBN: 9780321979445)
A graphing calculator is required for this course. A TI-83 or TI-84 is recommended.
If you would like to request instructor approval please complete and submit the form below. All correspondence will be done through your COCC email address. Please check it often.
If you have questions about the course or recommended preparation contact Jacquie Coe from the COCC Math Department at email@example.com or 541- 383-7730.
Alternative Math 95 Request Form: