In spring 2020, Congress passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, which included the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF). This provision provides two sources of assistance for colleges and universities: 1) Emergency funds to be distributed directly to students and 2) Funds to support college operations impacted by COVID-19. The information provided on this web site complies with CARES – HEERF public information requirements.
At that time, COCC was awarded $3,183,671 in CARES Act – HEERF funding, with 50% of these funds directed towards student aid; the remainder are directed to support institutional operations impacted by COVID-19. To access these funds, COCC signed a Certification and Agreement attesting to the College’s commitment to use the funds for the intended purpose.
The College distributed aid to students as follows:
- HEERF funding was distributed go to all certificate- and degree-seeking students who completed the FAFSA, met Title IV eligibility and demonstrated mid- to high-levels of financial need on May 15, 2020. Students dually enrolled with OSU, who did not declared COCC as their financial aid home institution, were excluded because these students could receive funds through OSU.
- Awards ranged from $525 to $1,025 per student.
- While about 2,000 COCC students qualified for some type of federal student aid, 1,565 spring term students met COCC criteria for CARES Act – HEERF funds.
Total amount awarded for spring term was $1,410,100.
Specific details regarding COCC’s spring term distribution formula are:
Number of Students: Spring
|1||Expected Family Contribution $0 - 5,576, with unmet need, greater than 5 credits||$1,025||1,099|
|2||Expected Family Contribution $5,577 - 10,000, with unmet need, greater than 5 credits||$725||200|
|3||Expected Family Contribution $0 - 5,576, no unmet need, greater than 5 credits||$525||115|
|4||Expected Family Contribution $5,577 - 10,000, no unmet need, greater than 5 credits||$525||25|
|5||Expected Family Contribution $10,000 - 15,000, with or without unmet, need greater than 5 credits||$525||126|
The College distributed summer term funds as follows:
- COCC recognized that some students in its Automotive, Aviation, Health Information Management, and Manufacturing programs were unable to attend spring term due to COVID-19 social distancing restrictions. Therefore, the College held some funds so that students participating in these programs during summer term could also receive the HEERF emergency funds.
- Students in these programs will only receive the funds if they did not receive emergency aid in spring term and met the other criteria listed above on July 2, 2020.
- 17 summer term students meet COCC criteria for distributing summer CARES Act – HEERF funds.
Total amount awarded for summer term was $15,325.
Specific details regarding COCC’s summer term distribution formula are:
Number of Students: Summer
|1||Expected Family Contribution $0 - 5,576, with unmet need, greater than 5 credits||$1,025||12|
|2||Expected Family Contribution $5,577 - 10,000, with unmet need, greater than 5 credits||$725||2|
|3||Expected Family Contribution $0 - 5,576, no unmet need, greater than 5 credits||$525||2|
|4||Expected Family Contribution $5,577 - 10,000, no unmet need, greater than 5 credits||$525||0|
|5||Expected Family Contribution $10,000 - 15,000, with or without unmet, need greater than 5 credits||$525||1|
After spring and summer disbursement, COCC had $166,411 funds remaining. The College decided to make these funds available via an application process to students who could document COVID-specific expanses. Eligibility and important notes:
- Students must be enrolled in at least three credits at the time of the request and must be in good academic.
- Student must provide documentation as to expenses and how the expense were incurred due to COVID.
- Funds could be used for transportation or vehicle issues, housing expenses, childcare expenses, technology support, online course fees or other documentable expenses.
As of the date of this update, no funds were awarded as funds will not be disbursed until the third wee of the quarter. This distribution date was selected as it is after COCC's drop/refund deadline.
Students who received aid during spring and summer term were sent the following information regarding CARES Act – HEERF funding, noting that the information was sent to the student’s COCC email address prior to distribution of funds:
I am excited to share some great news with you. Congress recently passed legislation providing financial support for colleges and universities – and more specifically, their students – who were impacted by COVID-19. The criteria for receiving the award is very specific and I am pleased to share that you are eligible for $xxx in this emergency funding. The funds will be distributed this week regardless of any balance you may owe the college. Funds will be sent based on the refund preferences in your Bobcat Web account, noting that some banks may take longer to process than others. Specific details are provided on the COCC CARES – HEERF website.
In addition to federal emergency funds, COCC provides students with additional emergency fund resources that can help with general assistance or funding specific to food, books, transportation and more:
- COCC Student Emergency Fund: Open to all certificate- and degree-seeking students who completed (or will complete) the FAFSA or ORSAA. Fund application unavailable at this time.
- Pathways to Opportunity: Open to all students.
- SNAP Training & Education Program (STEP): Geared for students receiving SNAP benefits.
Please contact the COCC Financial Aid Office, email@example.com or 541.383.7260 with any questions.
Wishing you and your family a healthy and safe spring term,
Vice President of Student Affairs
Central Oregon Community College
Updated September 23, 2020