Technology Skills and Requirements
Knowing how to use technology properly to access course contents and other essential information is critical to successful online learning.
Be sure you know how to use Blackboard Learning Management System, COCC email, Bobcat Web Account and other commonly used tools to prepare for online learning.
Tour a sample COCC Online Course
Students in online classes at COCC must be able to navigate through the course and complete required tasks on their own.
First, take a tour of a sample online course by watching the video below and learn some of the key elements of online courses.
Necessary Technical Skills for Successful Online Learning
As part of your online learning experience, you are expected to have a basic knowledge of computer and internet skills.
Here are some of the essential skills:
- Log in COCC email, Bobcat Web Account and Blackboard
- Communicate via COCC email system including sending attachments
- Search for information on websites using an internet browser such as Firefox, Chrome or Safari
- Use Microsoft Office applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel to create documents
- Manage files and folders: save, name, copy, move, rename, delete, download and upload
- Navigate Blackboard and use tools such as discussion boards, assignments and tests
- Seek for appropriate technical help
Important! COCC uses Microsoft Office applications as the standardized software. Your instructors will not be able to accept files saved in other formats (Google Docs,OpenOffice, Pages, etc.) Use Microsoft Office Suite available to you for FREE through the Office 365 account.
You can also convert other file formats to .docx (MS Word) format.
Follow the instructions below to convert your file to COCC appropriate format. The links will open in new windows.
- Save Google Docs file as MS Word document format (.docx)
- Save Pages file (.pages) as MS Word document format ( .docx)
- Save OpenOffice file (.odt) as MS Word document format ( .docx)
- Save MS Works (.wps) as MS Word document format (.docx)
Recommended Computer EnvironmentComputer Technical requirements may vary based on the programs and tools required in the class you are taking. Ensure access to your online courses by preparing your computer!
General computer/technology requirements for a typical online class at COCC are listed below. The instructor will provide further information if the course requires specific software or hardware.
Internet/ Web browser
Other software and hardware
NOTE: Some classes may have specific requirements for additional software. These requirements should be listed in the course syllabus.
Mobile devices such as iPhones, iPads, Android, and tablets can be used to access Blackboard and participate in some areas of your course. However mobile access is intended to only be supplemental to using a desktop or laptop computer. You may not be able to fully participate or complete your course using just a mobile device.