Technology Skills and Requirements
Knowing how to use technology properly to access your course content and other essential information is critical to successful online learning.
Be sure you know how to use Blackboard Learning Management System, COCC email, Bobcat Web Account and other commonly used tools to prepare for online learning.
Tour a sample COCC Online Course
Students in online classes at COCC must be able to navigate through the course and complete required tasks on their own.
First, take a tour of a sample online course by watching our video on our YouTube page and learn some of the key elements of online
Necessary Technical Skills for Successful Online Learning
As part of your online learning experience, you are expected to have a basic knowledge of computer and internet skills.
Here are some of the essential skills:
- Log in COCC email, Bobcat Web Account and Blackboard
- Communicate via COCC email system including sending attachments
- Search for information on websites using an internet browser such as Firefox, Chrome or Safari
- Use Microsoft Office applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel to create documents
- Manage files and folders: save, name, copy, move, rename, delete, download and upload
- Navigate Blackboard and use tools such as discussion boards, assignments and tests
- Seek appropriate technical help using our Technology Resources
- Know that Library and Computer Lab resources are available to you
Important! COCC uses Microsoft Office applications as the standardized software. Your instructors will not be able to accept files saved in other formats (Google Docs,OpenOffice, Pages, etc.) Use Microsoft Office Suite available to you for FREE through the Office 365 account.
You can also convert other file formats to .docx (MS Word) format.
Follow the instructions below to convert your file to COCC appropriate format. The links will open in new windows.
- Save Google Docs file as MS Word document format (.docx)
- Save Pages file (.pages) as MS Word document format ( .docx)
- Save OpenOffice file (.odt) as MS Word document format ( .docx)
- Save MS Works (.wps) as MS Word document format (.docx)
Fill and Sign PDF's
You may be asked to fill out or add your signature to online forms, assignments, and other PDF documents. You can do this for free using Adobe's free products. Follow the instructions in the videos below to add text or your signature to PDF files:
- How to Fill and Sign a PDF Using Adobe Acrobat Reader
- How to Fill and Sign a PDF using Adobe Fill & Sign Mobile App
Recommended Computer Environment
Computer Technical requirements may vary based on the programs and tools required in the class you are taking. Ensure access to your online courses by preparing your computer!
General computer/technology requirements for a typical online class at COCC are listed below. The instructor will provide further information if the course requires specific software or hardware. Click to view a web version. Click to view a PDF version.
Free Software Downloads
- Firefox for Windows
- Chrome for Windows
- Firefox for Mac
- Chrome for Mac
- Installation Instructions for Microsoft Office Suite (PDF)
- Adobe Reader
- Bb Student App from the Google Play Store
- Bb Student App from the Apple App Store
- Blackboard's Student Website for help and support