Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training
Oregon AHEC Bilingual Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training - Next Course Starts September 2018
Spanish Health Care Interpreter Info Meeting - click to register online or call 541.383.7270.
The Spanish Health Care Interpreter training prepares bilingual individuals to serve as Health Care Interpreters in medical settings and meets the Oregon Health Care interpreter law standards for entry-level training and education. Attend this free meeting to learn about this course beginning Fall 2018. Registration for information session is recommended.
4/19 Th Bend BEC 154 FREE
5/22 Tu Bend BEC 152 FREE
The Spanish Health Care Interpreter 156 hour training (6 months) prepares bilingual
individuals to serve as Health Care Interpreters in medical settings and meets the
Oregon Health Care interpreter law standards for training and education qualification:
http://www.oregon.gov/OHA/oei/pages/index.aspx. The course is offered in partnership between the Oregon Area Health Education Center
(AHEC) and Central Oregon Community College and is delivered in a blended format including
online instruction, classroom instruction and clinical practicum.
The course fee is $1750 (includes books/materials) and is paid in two payments ($1000 prior to course start date and $750 prior to clinical practicum). This is a noncredit course and is not eligible for Federal Financial Aid. Additional costs include a background check and TB test to meet clinical site requirements (these costs are not included in course fee).
The Add new link to Sept App/Info Doc Here (pdf) includes course content and delivery
methods, application form, language proficiency requirement, reference form, important
dates, and clinical requirements. Please review this 12 page document carefully. See
links below to individual forms contained in the full application document.
Criteria for Health Care Interpreter Course Applicants:
- Be fluent in English and Spanish; ability to change languages back and forth easily, and maintain a fast and smooth pace (see Language Proficiency Requirement below)
- Have written literacy in both Spanish and English
- Have some experience in interpreting (informal, volunteer, family-based is acceptable)
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum education of a High School Diploma or GED
- Have knowledge of or work experience in/with Spanish speaking populations
- Have a computer with a reliable high speed internet connection (not dial up)
- Have a web camera to participate in weekly online sessions from home
- Must not be on the Medicaid Exclusion list: http://exclusions.oig.hhs.gov
Language Proficiency Requirement
This course is delivered bilingually in Spanish and English, so applicants are required to include documentation of language proficiency in both languages with their application. See page 11 of the full application/info document for acceptable documentation for each language. Pages 2 and 3 of the full application/info document includes information about accepted third party language proficiency vendors, if needed.
2018 Spanish Health Care Interpreter Application & Information Packet - 12 pages (pdf)
2018 Spanish HCI Application Form - 4 pages (pdf)
2018 Spanish HCI Reference Form - 2 pages (pdf)
2018 Spanish HCI Important Dates (pdf)
OHA Language Proficiency Requirements (pdf)
Student Letter of Agreement (pdf)
What Makes Our Training Unique?
- 6 Month Training (156 hours)
- Bilingual delivery in Spanish & English
- Includes medical terminology and anatomy in both languages
- Online & self-study plus monthly Saturday sessions in Bend - great for working students
- Clinical practicum to apply learning in a health care setting
NOTE: The Oregon AHEC Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training at Central Oregon Community College meets the Oregon Health Authority Training Standards.
Join our Spanish Health Care Interpreter Interest List using the link below. Information will be sent to you via email as it becomes available. For questions, please call 541.383.7270.
For Email Marketing you can trust.