Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training
Oregon AHEC Bilingual Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training - Next Course Begins Fall 2021
Attend a FREE Information Meeting to Learn More*
Monday, February 8 5:30-6:30pm Online ZOOM
Wednesday, March 17 5:30-6:30pm Online ZOOM
*Registration is required to receive online access information.
About Our Course: The Spanish Health Care Interpreter 156 hour training (6 months) prepares bilingual individuals to serve as Health Care Interpreters in medical settings and meets the Oregon Health Care interpreter law standards for training and education qualification: http://www.oregon.gov/OHA/oei/pages/index.aspx. The course is offered in partnership between the Oregon Area Health Education Center (AHEC) and Central Oregon Community College and is delivered in a blended format including online instruction, classroom instruction and clinical practicum.
Course Costs: The course fee is $1850 and includes books/materials, paid in two payments. For accepted students, the first payment of $1000 is due prior to the class start date and second payment of $850 is due prior to the clinical practicum. This is a noncredit course and is not eligible for Federal Financial Aid. Additional costs include a background check due with application ($65), MyClinicalExchange fee ($50), and TB test (cost varies) to meet clinical site requirements (these costs are not included in course fee).
Partial Grants: COCC’s Foundation and PacificSource Community Solutions have generously supported students with partial grants in past years. As information about financial assistance for students becomes available, this page will be updated.
Application Process: Potential students must complete an application to be considered for acceptance into
the course. Please review the Spanish Healthcare Interpreter 2021 Application document
at the bottom of this page for detailed application information.
Criteria for Health Care Interpreter Course Applicants:
- Be fluent in English and Spanish; ability to change languages back and forth easily, and maintain a fast and smooth pace (see Language Proficiency Requirement below)
- Have written literacy in both Spanish and English
- Have some experience in interpreting (informal, volunteer, family-based is acceptable)
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum education of a High School Diploma or GED
- Have knowledge of or work experience in/with Spanish speaking populations
- Have a computer with a reliable high speed internet connection (not dial up)
- Have a web camera to participate in weekly online sessions from home
- Must not be on the Medicaid Exclusion list: http://exclusions.oig.hhs.gov
- Must complete a criminal background check prior to course start date.
Language Proficiency Requirement: This course is delivered bilingually in Spanish and English, so applicants are required to include documentation of language proficiency in both languages with their application. See OHA Language Proficiency Requirements (pdf) for acceptable documentation for each language.