Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training
Oregon AHEC Bilingual Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training
Next Course Begins February 1, 2020
The application deadline for the course beginning February 1 is January 17. Please
review the application document linked at the bottom of this page and if you have
questions, please contact Nancy Jumper at firstname.lastname@example.org. If language proficiency testing is needed, please allow at least two weeks prior
to the deadline to test and receive results.
About Our Course: The Spanish Health Care Interpreter 156 hour training (6 months) prepares bilingual individuals to serve as Health Care Interpreters in medical settings and meets the Oregon Health Care interpreter law standards for training and education qualification: http://www.oregon.gov/OHA/oei/pages/index.aspx. The course is offered in partnership between the Oregon Area Health Education Center (AHEC) and Central Oregon Community College and is delivered in a blended format including online instruction, classroom instruction and clinical practicum.
Criteria for Health Care Interpreter Course Applicants:
Application Process: Potential students must complete an application to be considered for acceptance. Please review the Spanish HCI Bend Application Information Feb 2020 (pdf) document for detailed information, which includes information about application requirements, course structure, and course schedule.
- Be fluent in English and Spanish; ability to change languages back and forth easily, and maintain a fast and smooth pace (see Language Proficiency Requirement below)
- Have written literacy in both Spanish and English
- Have some experience in interpreting (informal, volunteer, family-based is acceptable)
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum education of a High School Diploma or GED
- Have knowledge of or work experience in/with Spanish speaking populations
- Have a computer with a reliable high speed internet connection (not dial up)
- Have a web camera to participate in weekly online sessions from home
- Must not be on the Medicaid Exclusion list: http://exclusions.oig.hhs.gov
Language Proficiency Requirement: This course is delivered bilingually in Spanish and English, so applicants are required to include documentation of language proficiency in both languages with their application. See OHA Language Proficiency Requirements (pdf) for acceptable documentation for each language.
What Makes Our Training Unique?
- 6 Month Training (156 hours)
- Bilingual delivery in Spanish & English
- Includes medical terminology and anatomy in both languages
- Online & self-study plus monthly Saturday sessions in Bend - great for working students
- Clinical practicum to apply learning in a health care setting
NOTE: The Oregon AHEC Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training at Central Oregon Community
College meets the Oregon Health Authority Training Standards.
Join our Spanish Health Care Interpreter Interest List using the link below. Information will be sent to you via email as it becomes available. For questions, please call 541.383.7270.