Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training
Oregon AHEC Bilingual Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training -
Next Course Begins Fall 2019
Attend a FREE Information Meeting - three dates to choose from
The Spanish Health Care Interpreter training prepares bilingual individuals to serve as Health Care Interpreters in medical settings and meets the Oregon Health Care interpreter law standards for entry-level training and education. Attend a free meeting to learn about this course beginning Fall 2019.
6/6 Th 5:30PM-6:30PM Bend BEC 154
7/16 Tu 5:30PM-6:30PM Bend BEC 154
8/7 W 5:30PM-6:30PM Bend BEC 152
Register Online Now or call 541.383.7270.
Course Costs: The course fee is $1750 (includes books/materials) and is paid in two payments ($1000 prior to course start date and $750 prior to clinical practicum). This is a noncredit course and is not eligible for Federal Financial Aid. Additional costs include a background check and TB test to meet clinical site requirements (these costs are not included in course fee).
Partial Grants for 2019 Course: PacificSource Community Solutions is supporting several partial grants to assist
students who demonstrate financial need. The grants are estimated to be $700 toward
the $1750 course fee. Please attend one of the information meetings to learn more
about these grants, or add your name to our Spanish HCI Interest List to be notified when grant applications are available. Grant applicants must complete
a course application (see Application Process below), meet all requirements, and be
accepted into the course to be considered for a partial grant.
Application Process: Potential students must complete an application to be considered for acceptance. Please review the 2019 Spanish HCI Bend Application Info (pdf) document for detailed information, which includes information about application requirements, course structure, and course schedule.
Criteria for Health Care Interpreter Course Applicants:
- Be fluent in English and Spanish; ability to change languages back and forth easily, and maintain a fast and smooth pace (see Language Proficiency Requirement below)
- Have written literacy in both Spanish and English
- Have some experience in interpreting (informal, volunteer, family-based is acceptable)
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum education of a High School Diploma or GED
- Have knowledge of or work experience in/with Spanish speaking populations
- Have a computer with a reliable high speed internet connection (not dial up)
- Have a web camera to participate in weekly online sessions from home
- Must not be on the Medicaid Exclusion list: http://exclusions.oig.hhs.gov
Language Proficiency Requirement: This course is delivered bilingually in Spanish and English, so applicants are required to include documentation of language proficiency in both languages with their application. See OHA Language Proficiency Requirements (pdf) for acceptable documentation for each language.
What Makes Our Training Unique?
- 6 Month Training (156 hours)
- Bilingual delivery in Spanish & English
- Includes medical terminology and anatomy in both languages
- Online & self-study plus monthly Saturday sessions in Bend - great for working students
- Clinical practicum to apply learning in a health care setting
NOTE: The Oregon AHEC Spanish Health Care Interpreter Training at Central Oregon Community College meets the Oregon Health Authority Training Standards.
Join our Spanish Health Care Interpreter Interest List using the link below. Information will be sent to you via email as it becomes available. For questions, please call 541.383.7270.
Sign Up Now
For Email Marketing you can trust.