What to Expect at Summer Camp?
The summer camp occurs over two sessions and each session is two weeks long. Participants who are accepted into the COCC/STARTALK My Summer in China program are strongly recommended to register for both summer sessions; however, students can also choose to register for either summer session. High school students who plan to receive college credits must register for both summer sessions as well as both the pre- and the post-camp. Application priority will be given to those students who can complete both summer sessions as well as pre- and post-camp.
Typical My Summer in China summer camp schedule:
|Monday - Thursday||Friday|
|9:00 – 9:15 Opening Activity||Adventure Day|
|9:15 – 10:15 Learning Period||1st week: COCC campus tour|
|10:15 – 10:30 Break & Snack||2nd week: Visit Chinese family|
|10:30 – 11:30 Learning Period||3rd week: Night market in China|
|11:30 – 12:30 Lunch and Games||4th week: Camping night/picnic|
|12:30 – 1:45 Learning Period|
|1:45 – 2:00 Break|
|2:00 – 2:45 Assessment Period|
|2:45 – 3:00 Wrap Up|
Summer Camp Learning Outcomes:
- Students can interact with their classmates, teachers, and other Chinese speakers in their community for a variety of purposes and in a variety of contexts, such as giving and asking for biographical information, discussing their likes/dislikes, and comparing their interests and activities to peers in China.
- Students can understand and interpret a range of written and oral information on simple authentic materials such as ID cards, music videos, classroom commands, profiles on social media, menus in Chinese food trucks/restaurants, schedules and posts of events, map of China, etc.
- Students can present to audiences and readers on a variety of topics, including family, relationships, and events.
- Students can engage in culturally appropriate behaviors when they interact with people from Chinese communities.
- Students can identify a range of Chinese cultural products and practices, and they are aware of the cultural beliefs and values.