Career Pathways and Gainful Employment
In Oregon, there are multiple levels of nursing education and licensure/certification.
CNA 1 - Certified Nursing Assistant Level 1
- Employed by long-term care facilities (nursing homes) and home-care agencies.
- Assist patients in activities of daily living and assist LPNs and RNs in the care of patients at home or in long-term care facilities.
CNA 2 - Certified Nursing Assistant Level 2
- Employed by acute care facilities (hospitals).
- Assist patients in activities of daily living; monitor patient vital signs, and assist RNs in the care of hospitalized patients.
LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse
- Employed by long-term care facilities, medical offices, and public health departments.
- Provide care of stable patients, perform procedures, reinforce patient education.
RN - Registered Nurse, Associate of Applied Science
- Employed by hospitals, medical offices, long term care facilities, and public health departments.
- Provide patient assessment, patient care, and patient education and complete a variety of treatments and procedures.
RN, BSN - Registered Nurse, Bachelor of Science
- Employed by hospitals, medical offices, long term care facilities and public health departments.
- RN, BSN graduates provide patient assessment, patient care, patient education and complete a variety of treatments and procedures; they can progress to nursing administration and leadership roles.
- They also have the option of pursuing a Master's or Nurse Practioner degree in Nursing.
Nursing Graduate Degrees
- After completion of the RN, BSN students may further their education by pursuing a Masters in Nursing or a Nurse Practioner program at Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland.
The Gainful Employment Program requires career college programs to prepare students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation. In accordance with the program, Central Oregon Community College is providing the required disclosure information for each certificate program that leads to gainful employment.
In compliance with federal financial aid regulations, COCC is collecting and preparing to provide Gainful Employment information for the following Allied Health Certificate programs:
Additional Gainful Employment Information.