When is advising required?

Advising is required for certificate and degree-seeking students. New students participate in group advising sessions and then have a requirement to meet with their assigned academic advisor prior to registering in their second term. At the advising meeting, the academic advisor determines when the student will next have an advising requirement. Students who have clearly-defined academic goals, have an understanding of degree requirements, and have provided an extended schedule plan to their academic advisors may be cleared from advising for up to a year.

Non-certificate and degree-seeking students are not required to meet with an academic advisor, but are welcome to work with the CAP Services (Career services, Advising, and Personal counseling).

The name and contact information for a student's academic advisor is listed in the student's Bobcat Web Account (use the "Student Login" link at the top of each COCC web page, choose "Bobcat Web Account", then select Student Services and Financial Aid, Registration, and Can I Register for Credit Classes?).

Students who would like to change their major and/or their advisor assignment can do so with CAP Services (541-383-7200, located in Cascades Hall, Bend campus) or at the Admissions Office (541-383-7500, located in the Boyle Education Center, Bend campus).