Prepare for the Math Placement Test
For math, the best way to prepare is to refresh your memory on formulas and concepts you have already learned and brush up on your skills. Review is the name of the game, not learning new material.
- Understand how the test works
The Accuplacer test begins with Elementary Algebra questions. Depending on your score, you may also be tested on either Arithmetic or College Level Math.
The first set of math questions might be unfamiliar or difficult. Keep trying and don’t give up. If the first set of math questions are too easy or too difficult, they will change to questions that are at your level. This is how the test finds your appropriate math level and course.
- Review the Accuplacer practice sample questions
This will help you determine which math topics you need to review.
- Review math concepts. Start with a level that is familiar to you. If you are not sure where to start, choose Arithmetic.
Each math video takes just minutes to watch and most provide tips to help you remember what you have reviewed.
- Arithmetic includes 17 questions that ask you to solve problems that involve whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percentages, and simple geometry.
Example: 32 is 40 percent of what number?
- Elementary Algebra has 12 questions that ask you to solve problems that involve positive and negative rational numbers, expressions that contain variables, and story problems.
Example: If 2x -3(x + 4) = -5, then x =
- College Level Math has 20 questions that cover college math topics ranging from algebraic operations to trigonometry